Ch 35

The Adventures of Moon Eun Jung

          Ice waits for me at the school gates. As soon as I see him I freeze. Really? I inhale. Okay. It's okay, just walk past him pretending that he isn't there. I take a step foward. Ice sees me. I continue walking, looking straight ahead. Someone grabs my arm. I look up in surprise. Tao smiles at me, "Just keep walking," he whispers. I'm too suprised to blush at my crush. Thankfully he lets go of my arm, but continues to walk beside me. Ice isn't deterred. I stiffen, now in the middle of two good-looking guys. Love triangle much?

We walk in awkward silence. Where is the rest of Exo? I get the feeling this is going to get sticky. I speed walk and surpass them. However, the two easily catch up with their long legs. I curse silently.

"I didn't think you were the type to listen to your dreams," Tao says first. I realize this is the first time I'm hearing Tao speak this way.

"And you still can't get any sleep," Ice remaks, talking about Tao's dark circles.

Hell, I really to to make a break for it. Maybe I should.

"They're natural," Tao replies.

I prepare to run. As if sensing what I was planning Ice places a cold hand on my shoulder. "I want to get to know you. Are you fine with that?"   "No thank you," I quickly reply. Tao smirks in triumph. Ice ignores him. "I don't like you," he says truthfully, "but I keep having dreams," he points to his heart, "there's another me and I can feel his love for you. It burns like fire."  He leans closer, smirking wickedly," You can't imagine the things he wants to do to her---you."

A hot blush burns my face as Tao gawks. My eyes water as I quickly look down, but a tear spills. I'm not a crybaby, let's get that clear. I'm not sad or hurt by Ice's words. I'm not crying tears of sadness. I don't know why a tear came out my eyes either. I wipe my eyes. Are they tears of fustration and anger? Or just a symptom of my nervousness? Gosh, why am I so weird?

"Are you crying?" Ice asks, shocked. Tao steps in front of me, "You made her cry, saying things like that!"  Ice rolls his eyes, "I did not. Besides who cries over something like that?"  I realize I must look so weak to them. Someone who needs protecting. Suddenly I'm offended by their misunderstanding.

"I'm not crying because of that," I interrupt. They both glance at me. I supress my anger at myself. "I do that when I'm nervous," I explain. Then, not meaning to, I add in my anger, "Besides I'm not interested in love. It's disgusting." I stop myself from continuing further.

Ice laughs, "Is that supposed to be a challenge?" I glare at him, steel clamping down on my heart. "No," I reply icily. I don't look at Tao as I walk off. Well, the truth's out.

 

          The next day at lunch I had expected Tao to have told everyone about it, but they don't even mention it. I eat my lunch, not daring to look at him. Everyone suddenly stops talking. I look up to see why. Ice sits down beside me. I bristle,l turning to steel. He smiles at me, blue eyes twinkling. "I think I'm interested," he says.  Everyone stares.

"Uh...what's going on?" Haru asks. I imagine cutting myself in the neck. I really really don't want to die. Why won't he go away?

"Go away," Tao practically growls. I thank him silently. Secretly I keep hoping that someone will help me, but that make me hate myself more.

"Do you have philophobia?" Ice questions.  "Philophobia? What's that?" Chanyeol asks.  "The fear of love or falling in love," Ice replies.

"Eun Jung?" Na Hee says in disbelief. Ice has been slaughtered a thousand times in my head. I don't talk. My voice stuck in my throat. "Leave her alone," says Tao to Ice, but he doesn't. "It's times like these that the heart is the most vulnerable," Ice states. My nerves are flying everywhere. I feel trapped and suffocated, by Ice, by love, by me. My heart flutters with my stomach as sweat forms on my face. I hate this. My eyes begin to water. This is why I prefer to be alone. I'm not strong at all. I can't handle this. I'm weak.

Tears threaten to spill, but I force them back. I let cruelty take hold.

"Ha Na," I say looking Ice right in the eyes, "whose Ha Na?" My heart is as cold as steel as I watch Ice's smirk fade. His eyes flicker with deep buried pain.   I tilt my head, leaning it on my head, "Whose Ha Na? Hm....let me guess. She's a girl, obviously. I remember you mentioning her when you kidnapped Na Hee last time. Someone you loved? Someone very important to you?"

Ice's adam apple bobs. I know I'm being mean, but I never said I was nice. Something inside me is broken.  I feel bad for him, but it doesn't really effect me. I always felt the darkness in me. I sit back in the cafeteria chair.  "What's the matter? Upset? Hurt? Oh! Did she break up with you? Wait! Did she cheat on you?"  I think back to when he kidnapped Na Hee.  "Is she dead?"

At that Ice grabs me by the throat, his chair clattering to the ground. Na Hee gasps. Baekhyun and Chanyeol pull Ice away from me. "Are you okay?" D.O, asks. I glare at Ice, "Looks like I'm right."  "!" he cusses. He shoves Chanyeol and Baekhyun away, then leaves.

"That was crazy!" Taek Gu exclaims. "You really pushed his buttons," says Suho, "Don't you think that was a little harsh?"  "But how did you know?" Kris asks, "we never told you what happened to Ha Na."  "What did happen to her?" Haru asks Kris. The boys don't answer.

 

          I close my eyes. It's nice being by myself. Everyone was busy with afterschool clubs, so I'm going home by myself. "Going home by yourself?"    I sigh, guess not. I recognize the voice too. Tao catches up to me with his long legs. "I'll take you home, unless you want Ice to bother you."   I'd rather both wouldn't...but one is better than the other. I sigh quietly.

We walk in silence. "So you have philophobia," Tao says. I shrug, "I don't think I do, nor have I been diagnosed by a doctor, but yeah, kind of."    "Why? Did some guy break your heart?"  "No," I reply, "I just don't like love."   Tao nods as if contemplating my answer, "But why? Love isn't bad. It can be beautiful. Love is happiness."  I say nothing. How do I explain something I don't even understand myself?

"Maybe.." says Tao looking up at the sky, "Maybe you've never fallen in love before so you're just scared of it."  I glance at him. He has a point, but I'm stubborn.  "Kissing and all that other stuff that comes with love, I find it disgusting," I say. I hit myself mentally. Why am I telling Tao all this stuff?     I already know the answers to my own question. This happens in books all the time. I like him. I trust him enough to thell some stuff I consider to be secret. Usually telling your secrets to the guy makes the guy and the girl closer to each other. I don't want that! I don't want to be closer to Tao! I shut up and say nothing more.

Tao smiles, "Then I guess you've never kissed anyone before?"  I just glance at him. Tao blushes in embarassment, "Uh...well, I've dated before so I'm kind of.....experienced? N-not in kissing, but dating."  I'm not sure how to reply. We lapse into silence. Well, thats something new. So Tao's dated before. I wonder who the girls were.

 

         After a lot of pushing by Na Hee and Haru, the boys finally tell us about Ha Na.

Exo and Ice were in separate gangs. This is of course happened before Na Hee came along. The two gangs were constantly fighting each other. One day a bigger, stronger gang began attacking both gangs. In order to defeat them the two gangs decided on a truce and to work together. During that time Ice was dating a girl named Ha Na. He was super protective of her and she was really pretty. Ha Na really cared about Ice and was the only person who could melt his ice cold heart. Exo agreed that Ha Na made Ice a better person. The two gangs had planned that day that they would attack the other gang together. As planned Ice and his gang would attack first. Ha Na refused to stay behind, so she accompanied Ice. However, everything did not go according to plan. On the way there a smaller gang attacked Exo. They ended up arriving late. When they finally arrived Ha Na was dead. She had got caught up in the fight. Someone hit her head with a bat. She died instantly. When they go there Ice had frozen everyone to death. That's how Ice got his ability. To this day Ice still blames Exo for not being there on time, blaming Ha Na's death on Exo.

When they finished Haru wipes away a tear. "It wasn't you guys fault," Na Hee exclaims. "But I  do feel bad for Ice," she adds quietly. Haru's eyes glint, "Why don't you try dating him Eun Jung? Heal his broken heart?"  "No," I say instantly," you can if you want."  "Well...he is hot," Haru begins, but Lay interrupts, "So now you guys know why Ice hates us."  I feel bad for Ice, but I'm not moved.

 

         I wake up from a dream. It was about Yu. He had been crying over the dead body of a beautiful girl. What happened with Ice perfectly matches Yu's story. Then he meets Surock....I shiver, curling up under my blanket. Never. It's Tao I like. I smirk at the irony of my words, mentally apologizing to Tao. I don't want to end up with Ice so I'm using Tao as some sort of shield, yet at the same time I don't want to like Tao either. I am a horrible person. I sigh, going back to sleep. This is going to end badly.