Ch 13

The Adventures of Moon Eun Jung

           The next day at school, the bully girl, who's name is Sun Mi, attacked. She pushes me against the bathroom wall. "Leave Exo," she demands. I don't reply. She slams her feet against the wall, almost hitting me in the face. "Now," she commands. "Why is someone like you close to them anyways?" When I don't reply she kicks my face. I cry out hitting my head on the floor. "Are you deaf?" You're supposed to answer when someone is talking to you!" I sit back up. It was tiring having her pester me like this. Sun Mi glares at me, " Are you brain dead? I don't think it's getting through to you that you're being bullied."

A hard smack that connects with my mouth causes my lip to split. I put a finger to my lip. Blood. I my lips tasting metal. Sun Mi grabs me by the collar, "Leave Exo. Why won't you? What, do you enjoy being surrounded by 12 hot boys?"  I flinch at the spittle flying from . Ew, I don't want any of the spit to land on me.

"What is Exo to you?" Sun Mi growls. I freeze at the question. She was right. What was Exo to me? "Ow!"   Sun Mi slams my head against the wall. "This is useless. Okay this is enough for today."  She walks out and I follow.  Sun Mi gasps and I almost collide into her.

"What's going on here?" D.O. asks suspiciously. "N-nothing!" Sun Mi replies, rushing past him. D.O. grabs her arm, "Have you been bullying Eun Jung?" Sun Mi laughs nervously, "W-what are you talking about? I was just using the restroom." She pulls her arm away and runs off. D.O. eyes me, "She's bullying you isn't she?" I glance behind me, "Uh, I have to go."

 

          All day in class I think over what Sun Mi asked. What was Exo to me? My friends? A group of guys and Na Hee who make me look less of a loner? Was I just hanging out with them because I was supposed to? I sigh. What was Exo to me? I dig deep inside myself to look for the answer, but I come up empty.

 

         During lunch I make my announcement. This is cruel, mean and unfair, all of Exo"s fans wil kill me for doing this, but I didn't feel right. I feel like I'm using Exo. Again my heart thuds loudly in my chest, an endless drumbeat. Will I regret this? I will, but I remember that I'm not a good friend, I might betray them one day. I can't care for them the way they care for me. By now they should know they can trust me to keep their secret. I swallow my kimchi and set the spoon down. Thud-thud-thud. My heart beat is so loud.

"Um, guys," I speak up. "Huh? Did you say something?" Na Hee asks. She had been talking to Sehun. I nearly stop myself from telling them. I take a deep breath, it's best to get this over with. "Um, guys," I take a shaky breath, " I'm leaving Exo."

"What are you talking about?" Luhan asks, confused. "I'm leaving Exo," I repeat. Na Hee stands up, "But why Eun Jung?"  

"I bet Sun Mi told you to leave Exo, didn't she?" D.O. asks. Na Hee's eyes widen, "Sun Mi? Why are you doing what she says? Don't listen to that bully, if you want---"

"Wait!" Chanyeol exclaims, "Eun Jung is being bullied?" D.O. nods, " I just found out today. she was being beat up by Sun Mi in the restroom."  "Is that why you're leaving?" Tao asks. "No," I answer fustrated. I had thought a simple 'I'm leaving' would just end up with me walking away, no questions asked. 

"But why?" Xiumin asks with furrowed brows. " I---" I consider lying, but decide to tell them the truth. "I don't know what Exo is to me. I've come to the conclusion that..." I pause. Should I say it?

"To me...I don't think you guys matter to me as much as I do to you. I quit. I don't need friends." I pick up my lunch tray and leave to the sound of silence.