Ch 28

The Adventures of Moon Eun Jung

          The next day all three of us disguise ourselves. Yu rubs his white hair with soot until it turned black. He then tied his hair into a knot and put on a straw hat. Without his eye catching white hair, he looked different. I admit that the black color made him look darkly handsome. Surock, as I would have done, dressed up like a male. She still looked the same so she stuck a few strands of hair to her chin and upper lip. The result was somewhat comical. Yu who was usaully serious muffled a laugh. Surock grins, knowing she probably looked silly. I was forced to dress like an old woman.

At early dawn we left the hut. By noon, after some secretive sneaking away from the hideout, we arrived at the village. The dirt streets bustle with people. Vendors were selling their goods; fruit, cloth, jewelery, ornaments, shoes, etc. We split up to look for Princess Mai-Le. I head off in my direction, hobbling like an old woman and staring at the goods with delight. The plain brown rough cloth covering most of my visage held tightly in my grasp. I enjoy the sights, but still keep an eye out for a Na Hee and Haru look-alike. I stare at every girl I pass making sure that they weren't who I was looking for. Before I knew it I had walked right out of the market and into a less populated area of the village. I begin randomly walking around, lost, then deciding to pretend I was lost, which I was. I try to discreetly peer into  houses through windows.

"Excuse me, did you lose something?" Startled, I turn around. Lay stares back at me. Was I supposed to reveal myself to him? Should I? ....Well, we were on the same side so I see no reason why not.  "Actually..." I begin.

"Han!" cries a shrill voice. Lay looks behind him, "Ah, just a minute!"  He turns back to me, "Excuse me. I have to go help someone else. If you need help looking for something, come find me or the 13 Warriors!" He runs off.

I watch him go. Did he not recognize me? I don't think my diguise was that good. I shuffle away, must be the cloth hiding my face. If Lay was here the rest of Exo must be nearby. Looks like they already started searching.

Not long after I spy Kris in someone's backyard , helping to chop wood.  "It's been a while since you've come to help chop some wood," says the old man he was helping. "But it seems that while you were gone you got weaker! You used to be able to chop the wood with no sweat."  Kris somewhat smiles, looking more like a grimace, "I'm strong like always." He lifts his arms and strikes the log, getting the axe stuck. I slightly shake my head in amusement and continue searching.

Next I come upon Xiumin and Luhan playing a game with children. I watch them for a minute. Are they even searching? I sigh, looks like the villagers were occupying too much of their time. 

Then I come across Kai playing with dogs. One of the dogs run up to me. Kai finally notices me. He stands up from his crouch. "Do you need help?"  I back away from the dog...I know dogs are nice but, I can't help being afraid of them. I decide to stand my ground. My face showing no signs of fear, but my mind racing. "N-nothing" I finally say and leave.

I exhale. First I meet Lay , then Kris, Xiumin, Luhan, and Kai. Who was next? Chanyeol? Tao? Sehun? I was wrong. Turning around a corner I almost collide with someone. I fall down on my . The person doesn't apologize. I look up just in time to see General Wu-Chin.

What was he doing here in broad daylight? Where was he coming from and where was leaving to in such a rush? I debate whether to follow him or find out where he had just come from. Watching him turn a corner I decide to follow. I pretend to be looking at something as I follow him He didn't seem to notice my presence. We made many turns until I was hoplessly lost. Maybe I  should have gone back and informed Kai or Lay. No, General Wu-Chin would have escaped by then. We come to a dead end. I abruptly stop and turn around to pretend to be going the other way, but find a sharp sword pointed at me. I freeze.

Three men dressed in black, wearing masks, circle me. General Wu-Chin stalks over. "Who are you? Why are you following me?"

I scan my brain for an excuse. I was taking too long so I blurt out, "You look like my son!"

Wu-Chin glares at me, "Why were you following me then? Why didn't you say anything?"

"Urgh...I-I was afraid. You see my sond died a long time ago and for a moment there I thought he was you." I try to make my voice shaky, "Forgive me for following you...sir. I didn't want to scare you away. I just wanted to take a look at your face..." I stop, lifting my head up.

"I'm afraid I can't let you go old lady. You've seen too much." 

"T-too much of what?" I cry, continuing to fake it. That just sounded like he was going to kill me. No, he will! What do I do?   

Three assasins, I guess, are surrounding me and General Wu-Chin in the front. I have to get away, but how?

I fling myself to the ground , making big fake sobs. This is so embarassing. I never do this in front of anyone except my sisters, only when I was acting.

"Please! Forgive me sir! Please. I promise I wo't say anything! Just let me go!

Wu-Chin's face is hard. He signals to the assasin behind me.

Throwing caution to the wind, I turn to the assasin just as the sword came down. I roll across the ground, the sword tearing the cloth hiding my face. I don't look back.  "Surock!" Wu-Chin roars. I run like I've never run before. Haveing your life on the line really makes a big difference. I dash pass houses, trying to get rid o the dress I was wearing. The skirt was slowing me down. F*** it! I pull the skirt past my knees revealing the pants I wore underneath. 

I look back  to see them closing in on me. I zag to the right, running between two houses, then leap onto a porch, jumping to avoid crashing into someone's clay pots. I don't have the slightest clue of where I am, letting my feet lead, running around random corners.

Breathless and dying, losing my stamins I turn a corner to find a run down ht appear out of nowhere. With too little distance to make a leap over the wall around the hut, I head for the gateless entry. Making the decision at the last second, I sharply turn against the rough rock walls, slamming my right shoulder against it. I ignore the pain, skidding into the hut's front yard.

I feel metal breeze past me. I look back to see one of the assasins right behind me. His sword having missed me by a centimeter. Out of nowhere my foot smash against something hard. With a cry of surprise I trip, hitting the ground at a run. To my horror the velocity of my run sends me crashing into jars of clay. The world is drowned out by the sound of shattering pottery. I finally roll to a stop.

Dizzy I manage to get on my knees. I need to keep running! No, it's too late. The sound of metal against metal draws my attention. Someone was fighting the three assasins! I hope it is not, but I recognize the tall figure and that way of movement. It was Tao.  The three assasins push Tao back.

I notice a girl a little older than me and a boy hiding inside the hut. The third assasin sneaks up on Tao. "Behind you!" I shout. He turns around just in the nick of time. I watch in fustration. If only I could fight! One against three, he was losing! I want to get the rest of Exo, but what if something happens while I'm gone? I glance around for a weapon. It was foolish, but I was going to help him fight!

I see nothing that I can use. I sigh, I guess that was a good thing, if I join in the fight I would probably get in the way. Then I remember.

I turn to the two hiding in the house, "Get help from the 13 Warriors!" I've never commanded someone who wasn't my family before, so it felt awkward. Would she listen to me? Luckily the two comply and run off.

I return to watching the fight. If I was right, if pushed to his limit...or in danger...Tao would go into beast mode. Hurry up and transform! Use the element of surprise! I silently tell Tao in my head. Suddenly with no warning it ended. I stare in shock as Tao falls over. General Wu-Chin turns to me, "Surock---or should I say...Eun Jung."