Ch 12

The Adventures of Moon Eun Jung

          Good thing Aunt didn't wake up. It is useless to cover my eye. I don't evn have enough bangs, which are just a few thin wisps of hair, to hide it. I walk down the hall trying not to be self conscious. The guy who jabbed me in the eye yesterday left a purple-blue bruise on the corner of my eye. I slide the door open to my classroom. No one looks up. That's nice, it's a good thing no one really notices me. Sitting down at my desk I take out the book I was reading. The bell rings. The teacher enters the classroom. "Eun Jung, what happened to your eye?" he asks.

Really? Did he have to point it out? Everyone in class looks at me. "Huh? Ah...I...a door..I got hit by a door that was being opened," I lie. The teacher nods, "Okay.. I thought you might hae gotten into a fight, but you're not the type Eun Jung." I smile and sit down. The smile turns into a frown. I should try covering my eye with my hand.

 

          "Why is he here?" Luhan hisses. I look where he's glaring at. Sitting at Exo's table with Na Hee was Taek Gu. I follow Luhan to the table. Taek Gu waves, "Eun Jung! Tao!"  I sit down beside Na Hee.  "He transferred here," Na Hee says without me needing to ask.  "What happened to your eye?" she asks. I glance at Tao and Taek Gu. "I--"    "It was my fault," Taek Gu interrupts.  "You?" Na Hee questions, looking defensive. "I dragged her into a fight," he explains.  "What?" Na Hee exclaims, "How did that happen?"  Taek Gu grins, "Curious? I'll tell if ou go on a date with me."  Na Hee makes a disgusted face.  "No, she won't. She can just ask Eun Jung," Luhan glares. Jealous much....or was it overprotective?

"Don't mention that," Tao whisperes to me. "Um, so, I can pretend you weren't there?"  When I ask I notice the band aid on the side of his head.  "Sure," Tao answers. He touches the band aid, "I'm okay. My....beast power heals stuff quickly," he whispers.  "Oh," is all I can say.

"So what happened?" Na Hee asks, eyeing Tao and me. I tell her what happened yesterday after they left my house.  "How do you know where she lives?" questions Na Hee. I nod silently in my head, yes, I've been wondering the same thing.  Taek Gu utters an airless laugh, " The same way you guys know where she lives."   Okay. Why did everyone want to know where I live? Was I that important or something?

"How do you guys know where I live?" I ask accusingly. All of them look away sheepishly. Taek Gu smirks, "They followed you."  "So did you," Kris counters.  "But you guys did it first," Taek Gu shoots back.   "Okay..." I say slowly. I wonder how I didn't notice a group of 13 people following me home.

"It's because we were worried about you!" blurts Na Hee.  "Even more, now that we know you're mostly home by yourself," Kai adds.  "And because a freak," Chanyeol says, jabbing a finger at Taek Gu, "can also find your place easily and bring some 'friends' over."   "Thanks, for caring guys," I say, " but no thanks."

 

          Today I stay afterschool. I walk down the row of bookshelves, looking for an interesting book. When I told Exo  they all insisted on waiting for me. When I said no, they became more stubborn.  "How about this book?" Suho asks holding one up.  I read the title, " Uh...no. Maybe later." Suho sighs, "You'r picky," he states. "I guess," I reply absently, walking to another row of bookshelves. At the library table the rest of Exo skim through a book or talk quietly to each other. Luhan leans over Na Hee to see what she is reading. Taek Gu pushes him out of the way, while Tao smoothly slides into a seat beside her.

I never really noticed that Tao liked Na Hee, but now I can see it. I stop at an eye catching book. I pull it out. I open the front cover and read the summary. A girl falls in love with a boy without knowing his secret. He's a werewolf.   Vaguely familiar. I glance at the three boys trying to get close to Na Hee. Yes, very familiar.

Tao asks Na Hee something, but Taek Gu intervenes sliding between the two. Luhan steals the book Na Hee is reading, which makes her angry. I hide a smile of amusement behind the book. Okay, I'll try reading this book.

I check out the book and return to the tables. "Um, I'm done," I announce. Sehun exhales, stretching his long arms. Chen yawns, "The library is pretty relaxing." Standing up Kris leaves the library first. "Come on let's go," Xiumin says to Baekhyun, shaking him awake. Baekhyun looks around in  a daze before remembering where he is. " I found a good book," Suho states. He holds the book up to show anyone who was listening. Lay closes a book that he had been reading and puts it back in the shelf. Na Hee stands up, oblivious to the three boys fighting for her attention. "Let's go to an ice cream shop!"

         I gulp staring at the vanilla ice cream before me. It was soft and cold in the form of a mountain swirl. Blueberries and sliced strawberries gathered at the bottom, resting in a soft bed of whip cream. I try not to grin "Thanks for the ice cream," I say to Na Hee. She smiles, "No problem."  I grab a plastic spoon and dig in. The first bite is heaven. I want to melt right there. I savor the ice cream unti it disappears. I go for the berries next, not as sweet as the ice cream, the strawberries a little tart, but it balanced well with the vanilla.

Na Hee was eating chocolate ice cream with nuts sprinkled on top with a drizzle of chocolate syrup. A red cherry topped it, bananas swimming in the dripping chocolate sauce.  "Chocolate Love," Na Hee states, " that's what it's called."

Exo talks loudly, most of if asking why Taek Gu had followed them. Girls in the ice cream shop eye the handsome guys. Some even take pictures on their phones. Na Hee leans her head on the palm of her hand, watching Exo. "They sure are popular," she states.  "So are you," I say as a group of boys pass, staring at Na Hee.  "I really love them all," she tells me," but something always feels off, like they're hiding something from me."  She was right. They were hiding something from her. I bite into a spoonful of ice cream. 

They were hiding their ability from her because they cared for her.  Wait, then what about me? Did they not care...oh yeah, I only knew because I found out by accident. I suddenly feel sad. That's the only reason I was invited to join Exo. Was this all a dream? Were they really my friends? Was I there's?

          I walk down the street behind Exo. I stare at their backs. They all...were so happy together. I can't...I can't bring myself to be like that. Happy all the time, being with everyone.  Ugh, I need to stop being so negative.

Na Hee turns around, "What are you doing all the way over there?"  I smile, " Um, I'm coming." I quickly walk over to them.  I think...since a long time ago that I had already been broken.

"Why were you all the way back there?" Na Hee asks. " I was thinking," I answer.  "What kind of stuff," Taek Gu asks, eavesdropping. "Just stuff," I answer vaguely. Xiumin turns around and gives me a smile," You should open up more."  Chen nods, joining in. "We got to know you more when you told us about your family," says Chen, "you don't have to be so self-conscious around us. We're your friends."  I stare in surprise. These people.....I underestimated them. I didn't think they paid attention to me at all.