Ch 30

The Adventures of Moon Eun Jung

         We all stare in shock. Some of us had our mouths wide open. "Murderers?" Chanyeol exclaims. A soldier silences him with a jab of his spear . "We didn't kill anyone!" Na Hee shouts, ignoring a jab in the rib. I watch Wu-Chin and the Queen. Did Wu-Chin trick the queen? And wha murder was he talking about? Who was killed? Was he talking about Prince Shinwa's death?

"Why are we being accused of murder?" Haru asks, "we didn't do anything!" The queen slaps her across the cheek. The sound echos in the cool morning air. "How dare you!" she screeches to Haru, "How could you? You did nothing wrong?" Fury reddens her face and she slaps Haru even harder. Lay stands up, "Stop hitting her! We didn't kill anyone!"  The Queen glares at all of us. "I trusted you!" she says to the 13 Warriors, " and this is how you repay me? You bring imposters to take your place and!" she stops, "and...kill my two children! You think you can replace my daughter with this imposter!" The third slap was the hardest, but it was Na Hee who took it. "Na Hee!" Luhan, Taek Gu, and Tao chorus in concern.

I realize what the queen was talking about. Wu-Chin was accusing us of murdering the real Princess Mai Le and replacing her with a fake.  With a swipe of her head, the queen turns to me, "And you!" I visibily imagine myself shrinking, but on the outside I remain passive to the queen's anger. I know what is coming next. She points a long finger at me, "You! I know you are behind all of this!"  She sneers, "What are you planning? What do you want? Money? Gold? Riches? The throne?"  I see the slap coming and duck, which only infuriates her. Feeling unjustified I reply, "I don't want anything."

"It's General Wu-Chin----" Baekhyun's words are cut off with a smack to the cheek. He spits out blood, staring in horror. That set Exo and the 13 Warriors off. Yelling in outrage, hands still bound, they ruthlessly attack the gaurds. The Exo that everyone back at school, who they saw to be sweet, refreshing, and handsome, would never believe how fierce Exo could be. I can't help feeling bad for the soldier. They better hope Exo doesn't go into beast mode and they were lucky that the 13 Warriors' weapons had been taken from them.

Gaurds immediately protect the queen as 26 prisoners minus three girls, attack their captors. Slowly and without realizing it Exo and their alter egos end up pairing together. As the few soldiers are unable to stop all 26, more begin arriving. Like a tidal wave they crash into all 26. They struggle to force Exo and the 13 Warriors back and are losing when General Wu-Chin gives the command, "Kill them all!"  Na Hee, Haru, and Ihad stood safely out of the reach of the fight, at those words the nearest soldier turns and attack us! I can imagine all the blood that is about to be shed. The three of us run. Luhan sees us being chased and follows. He punches the soldier, managing to dodge his sword.

"There's too many of them!" Na Hee states. Luhan grits his teeth, picking up a fallen sword, "I know. This would be easier if we could go into beast mode, but that's too risky."  "Then what do we do? Retreat?" she asks. "If we can!" Luhan shouts, smashing his sword with two soldiers. Another soldier runs at us from the left. I warn Na Hee and Haru and dodge. Na Hee decides to take part in the battle. With her long legs she kicks one in the chest. I glance around to see that no one has been killed yet. Yes, not killed, but many were wounded. Exo and the 13 Warriors were cut and sliced at and it worried me, but they all looked out for each other.

While I was thinking, the four of us: Na Hee, Haru, Luhan, and me, are surrounded by soldiers. They form a circle around us, blocking any chance of escape. In return we face them with our backs facing each other. "We won't make it!" Haru squeaks. I agree, our chances are grim. Luhan had a sword, but all three of us had nothing, plus our hands were still bound. This was not going to end well. The soldiers rush at us.

"Fire!" Out of nowhere arrows rain from the sky. The soldiers surrounding us fall down as arrows pierce them from behind. The same was happening to the soldiers attacking Exo. We all turn to look for the source. Yu leads, sword in hand, a band of men with bows. His long white hair stark against the background of men. Behind them were more people, most who looked rugged and seemed to be peasants. A few women and young teens are scattered among them. They all hold a weapon of sorts. Hoes, sticks, pots, a few with swords, slings, etc. I spot Renra, then Surock who blended in with the crowd, though they were at the front.

Queen Wai gasps in shock, "A rebellion!" General Wu-Chin's lips twitch in displeasure....or was that a restrained smile?

"Attack them!" Wu-Chin commands. The two forces crash. Soldier and peasants. I try to flee from the midst of the battle, like the coward I am, but there is no end. Wherever I run I can't find a way out. "Watch out!" I turn just as Renra guts a soldier. He gurgles blood and falls backwards. "Thanks," I half whisper. Renra snorts and tosses me a sheathed sword. I almost miss catching it. "Stop running around, " she commands me, "Whether you're fighting or not---" she slashes a soldier who was overpowering a peasant as they pass, " I don't care, but you're a part of this Eun Jung, so fight. Even if this is the first time you'll shed blood." She runs off, disapperaing into the fray.

I stare at the sheathed sword. It's sheath was a simple dark hard material. My heart beats wildly at the thought of killing someone...I look around and spy D.O. fighting. I clench the sword. Renra was right. I have to fight. I have to help. I dodge two people who are fighting vigorously and draw the sword. It flashes silver in the sunlight. I stick the sheath in cloth wrapped around my waist. Here I go.

I attack timidly afraid to be attacked back. I feel like a fool, small and weak hearted as I duck and slash at soldier's backs. None have attacked me yet. Just how many rebels did Yu and Surock gather? The battlefield field feels vast. Before me a soldier finishes off a peasant. I turn cold when he sees me. I decide not to run, though  the decision poked at me.

He takes first offense. He runs at me sword raised, probably thinking I would be easy to take down. I dodge his heavy swing. My feet catches on a dead body, tripping me. I catch myself, dodging another swing of the soldier's sword. Suddenly I see an opening. Lashing out with my sword, I slash his shins, but by making the attack, I had exposed my back to him. The soldier's sword hacks down on my shoulder, right in the areas between my shoulder and neck. I cry out in pain as warm blood trickles down my arm and chest. Without thinking, but knowing what I was doing--the slash having a good effect--with all my strength I run the sword straight through his abdomen. The sensation of the sword going through his body was a feeling that is hard to describe. I harden myself and pull the sword out, then wipe the blood on the back of his clothes. I briefly glance at his face then leave to face someoneelse, hopefully no one.