Ch 1

The Adventures of Moon Eun Jung

    I was always watching them, but it's not like I'm a stalker. Every other girl in the school was constantly watching them too. Twelve handsome boys who were all best friends. I'm not sure that all of them being handsome is coincidence or fate, whatever it was none of the girls minded. They were all eye candy for a boring school life. There's Kris, the tallest of the twelve, who looks like he stepped out of a manga. Tao, the third or second tallest, with dark circles. Lay, who is a well known awesome dancer in our school besides Kai, who stole hearts with his cool dance. Chanyeol with a surprisingly deep voice. Luhan who's really popular in our school with a baby face. Chen, D.O., and Baekhyun, who have amazing voices. Suho who's smart, making one of the top scores in our school. Xiumin, who's the oldest of the twelve, with a somewhat chubby face, pretty enough to pass for a girl. Sehun, the youngest of the twelve, who love to dye his hair in many colors. Together, throughout our whole school, they are known as Exo, short for exotic.

   Five of the twelve are in my class. I don't know whether to call it lucky or unlucky. Lucky because...well--they're good-looking. Unlucky because a lot of girls from other classes besides the ones in mines like to gather around them and talk, a lot, with them. I'm fine with it, but having a crowded classroom and walking into class to find my seat taken is a little annoying.

   Like any other day, I watch them out of the corner of my eyes. Kris, when there are no girls to bother him, likes to draw in his notebook. His drawings are not the best out there, but he insists that they're good. Today he is doing it again, I'm guessing he's trying to improve his drawings. Luhan sleeps on his desk with his earphones on. Kai demonstrates dance move to Tao. I only watch them briefly, then return to reading my book. The bell rings. I look up as our teacher enters. "Okay everyone back to your seats, class has begun."

   I yawn as our teacher begins his lesson. Out of the corner of my eyes, I notice that Luhan is still sleeping. Kris takes notes with a serious expression along with Kai. Kai doesn't look up at the board, so I'm puzzled. Is he taking notes? Tao glances over at Kai's paper and tries to supress a grin. The door slides open, stopping the teacher mid-speech. Suho walks in. He bows to the teacher, "Excuse me." "Where were you, coming into my class late?" the teacher asks. "I was in the nurse's offfice, I wasn't feeling well," Suho explains. The teacher turns back to the board. "Where was I?" Suho takes his seat, two desks behind Tao. I resume taking notes.

 

   The bell rings signaling lunch. I sigh in relief. I was getting hungry, my stomach had grumble at least once in class. I hope no one heard. The five boys clamour out the door along with everyoneelse. I follow the line of students out the door, walking quickly, eager to eat. I had to rush to school this morning and didn't grab any breakfast. Then again, what was new? I usually never eat breakfast anyways.

   After getting lunch from the lunch line, I self consciously walk dowwn the lunchroom, looking for an empty seat...or table. I spot an empty table and settle in. Thank goodness. I already look pititful enough without friends, I would have looked more pitiful looking around for a seat. I dig in, eating rice first, then savoring the kimchi. I love spicy food, too bad the kimchi they have at school isn't that hot.

   There's Exo at their usual corner. All twelve are eating as if they're starving. It was understandable. The twelve of them were the gang of our school and were always fighting with gangs from other schools. How appealing was that? Hot guys who could also fight? That's like winning the lottery for all girls. Tao tries to nab some food from Kris, unsucessfully. Luhan bites into a kimchi laughing at something Chanyeol said. Sitting in the middle of all the boys was a beautiful girl, Kim Na Hee.

She was a loner, like me, but pretty. She was hated by all the other girls because she hung out with Exo, therefore she was stranded. I on the other hand chose to be alone, everyone in my class knew that so no one bothered me. I'm known as the quiet girl who keeps to herself. I'm usaully reading a book. I sip some soup, secretly sneaking glances at them. Kim Na Hee never smiled at anyone else, except for Exo. Of course, everyone in school hated her--well not everyone, I'm sure there are a few exceptions. I've seen Na Hee bullied by some of the meaner girls. They would leave thumbtacks in her indoor shoes and hide her gym clothes. They would secertly send her letters with hate words written inside. They never did it openly, they didn't want Exo to hate them. There were also times when I'd walk into the bathroom, if the girls were badmouthing Na Hee, there was a 70% chance Na Hee was listening to them, while hiding in the stalls. I don't like bullying, I hate it, but I don't stop it. I'm a scaredy cat. Everytime that happens I always apologize to Na Hee silently.

   Finally the bell rings for dismissal. While everyone takes their time packing or talking, I quickly pack and rush out the door. I wanted to get home quickly to see if there was something to eat. I was already hungry though lunch was only three periods ago. Grabbing my bike I carefully walk downhill. I could ride my bike down, but the road was too steep. Going down it in my bike was dangerous.

Before long Exo can be heard, talking, behind me. They always walk Na Hee home before going to theirs. There are also fan girls who are walking with them, asking questions and giving compliments. I resist the urge to turn around and see Exo's expressions. Feeling thirsty I let go of one bike handle to pull out my water bottle. I open the cap and sip some refreshingly cold water. Satisfied with the small sip I close the cap. I'm about to put my water bottle back when someone bumps my left shoulder. Hard. I stumble foward, my loose hold on the water bottle causing it to fall out of my hand. I make a grab for it, but the bottle, pulled by gravity and the steep hill has already rolled out of my reach. Nooooooo! I cry out silently.

I watch in despair as my bottle rolls away, faster and faster. I'm torn apart. What should I do? Run after my bottle, leaving my bike behind? If i did that meant I would have to walk back up to get my bike after getting my bottle. I could chase my bottle along with the bike, but that was dangerous. I could trip because of the bike. As I struggle to choose, the bottle gets further. I could just leave it, but I can't. That's my precious water! But the main reason I was holding back was because Exo was walking right behind me.

I feel awkward and self conscious with them behind me, but running after my bottle would make me more self conscious. I would look silly. Faster and faster goes my bottle. I tighten my hold on my bike. Run. Don't run. Run. Don't run. My heart is beating loudly, drowning out all sound, my palms sweaty. Run. Don't run. Run. Don't run...Agh! Hurry up already! Water bottle it is! Taking a deep breath, heart drumming loudly, I let go of my bike. It clangs loudly against the asphalt. I wipe my sweaty hands. The water bottle was already far below, somehow managing to roll straight without bumping into any obstacles. I would have to run fast. With a push, I run.

I run fast, pulled by gravity. I stretch my legs, careful not to fall. Faster and faster I run. It's a game of chase the bottle. I speed pass students students who stare at me. I feel so embarassed but keep running. I narrow my eyes at the water bottle. I'm gonna catch you! It rolls by a person. I dodge as I chase. You better stop! I mentally shout. I gulp in air, exhaling. I nearly trip as my leg almost gives out due to the weight I was putting on it. I sigh in relief as I draw closer. You're mines! I run faster, surpassing the speeding bottle. Now I just had to turn around and catch it.

As I turn around, one leg gives out while I'm still running. I gasp as I trip, rolling down the road. I feel the hard asphalt through my clothes, all the little pieces of pebbles crushed by my body, see nothing but a spinning gray world. I try to stop rolling, but my arms and legs can't stop my roll. I feel like I've been spinning for minutes, but finally I roll to a stop.

I wince as I stand up. My palms are scrapped, one knee is bleeding, but otherwise I'm fine. The bottle rolls to a stop at my feet. I glare at the bottle, picking it up. Thanks a lot I tell it. Wincing at the stinging pain from my knees I make my way back up. It's going to be a long walk. I sigh. Half way up the hill I bump into Exo. "You're Moon Eun Jung?" I look up in surprise. Na Hee had spoken to me! She's holding my bike. All of those good-looking guys staring at me. I try not to blush. "Um, yes," I answer. Na Hee smiles at me, "You dropped your bike." She steps foward handing me my bike. "Thanks," I say quietly.

"Why did you drop it and run?" Kris asks me. I hold up my water bottle, "Um, I dropped this." My heart beating fast at the interaction with Exo. I quickly stuff my water bottle back in my backpack side pocket. Without waiting to see if they had more to say I rush off.