Chapter 9: "I Do" Part 2

Perfect for Me

The lights dimmed and a spotlight flashed the colors of the rainbow. A slow steady beat filled the room. My eyes followed the spinning spotlight and spotted Siwon and Sooyoung arm-in-arm walking out. The classic wedding song suddenly became a rock-version and they danced together all the way to the front.

I glanced over at Yuri who was looking down. I could tell that Yuri was upset. Maybe I should just…

The music came to an end and Siwon walked hand-in-hand with Sooyoung. The wedding procession carried along. Finally it was time for the marriage vow.

“We will begin with the wedding procession…” the priest turned to face the audience, “You will all be the witnesses of this wedding.” He turned to face Siwon and Sooyoung.

“Do you, Sooyoung Choi take Siwon Choi to be your lawfully wedded husband from this day on through worse, for richer, or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish; from this day forward until death do you part?”

“I do,” Sooyoung replied. She stared into Siwon’s eyes and smiled.

“Now, do you, Siwon Choi, take Sooyoung Choi to be your lawfully-wedded wife from this day on through worse, for richer, or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish; from this day forward until death do you part?”

            Yuri’s head was in her arms… probably crying…

            I began to cough hardly. I clenched my throat and pretended to be in excruciating pain. Did Siwon remember Yuri or was he brainwashed?

            Everyone turned to look my way, even Siwon and Sooyoung and Yuri…

            “Ryeowook, are you okay?!” Yuri patted my back. She noticed that my face was turning from pink to purple.

            Security rushed over to check out the problem. From the corner of my eye, I noticed that Siwon had caught sight of Yuri. Okay, cut the act. I cleared my throat and sat up. I exhaled a deep sigh, “Whoa!” (I felt so embarrassed).

            Siwon’s eyes were glued to Yuri now. Yuri didn’t seem to realize yet… so…

            I stood up and helped Yuri up too. “Come on… honey, let’s go… I need to go out for fresh air,” I took her hand, held it in the air where Siwon could see it. I watched Siwon’s reaction, a sense of pain, but no reaction. What was up with him?!

Yuri and I exited the building still holding hands. I’d just made a big fool of myself. From inside we heard a slow but gradual continuation of the wedding procession. From outside, we heard, “Do you, Siwon Choi, take Sooyoung Choi to be your lawfully-wedded wife from this day on through worse, for richer, or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish; from this day forward until death do you part?”

“I do. ”

            I noticed Yuri with no expression on her face. I could tell that she was hurt. I’d failed her… “Yuri, I’m sorry…” I frowned, “I really am sorry! If you want to cry, just let it out…”

            After I said that, Yuri’s waterworks began. My first client and I’d failed her.

<3

At the dating agency

            “Thank you so much,” Yuri sat across from me with her hands folded on her lap.

            “I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to help much…” I frowned, “But I did talk to Siwon after the ceremony…”

*Flashback*

            “Siwon, what were you thinking?!” I was alone with Siwon after the ceremony. After Yuri had calmed down, I’d seen her home and came back to talk to Siwon. I felt slightly angry but I knew that I shouldn’t involve my personal feelings. This was one of the first things I’d learned about when I began working with Taeyeon at the dating agency.

            “I decided to marry Sooyoung after all…” Siwon replied. He looked up at me, “And you… why’d you make up the ridiculous lie? About you and Yuri… honey?!”

            “You were jealous, so why didn’t you show it?! That’s what Yuri anted to see! She was feeling insecure and ready to quit. That was your time to show her that you love her!” I fought back. Even though I wasn’t the best actor, he should’ve gotten the message and done the right thing!

            “…”Siwon said nothing. Instead he walked away and headed towards the exit. At the exit, he turned to face me, “That was my final decision… to leave Yuri. I can’t have Yuri. I’ve hurt her too much. She deserves someone better than me. Please help her find someone that deserves her.”

 

*End of Flashback*

            “Oh…” Yuri frowned but nodded. She covered and started to sniffle.

            “With time, your wound will heal,” I told Yuri. I placed my hand on her shoulder.

            “Thank you Ryeowook and goodbye,” Yuri stood up and bowed, “I appreciate all your help.”