Chapter 37: A Frank Talk

Perfect for Me

            Back at home, Yoona sat in her room on her bed with her laptop on her lap. She was browsing the web. Her mother hadn’t said much during dinner. Yoona couldn’t tell whether that was a good sign or not. Was her mother mad about her sudden surprise? Yoona looked around her room and placed her laptop on her bed. She got up and walked over to her opened bedroom door. She peeked outside at her mother’s room. The door was closed. Yoona felt a bit worried. Maybe she really was mad? Yoona left her room and walked up to her mother’s door. She placed her hand on the door but did not knock. Dad had died a long time ago… All Yoona wanted to do was to make her mother happy. She thought that her mother had been lonely for so long. Yoona knocked on the door. “Mom?”

            Yoona heard some noise inside as if Mrs. Im was putting something away. Soon enough, Mrs. Im opened the door. “Yoona.”

            Yoona looked at her mother and smiled, “Mom, I’m sorry.” She hugged her mom. Mrs. Im hugged her back. While hugging, Yoona peered into Mrs. Im’s room and looked around. She had heard her mom put something away. Was she hiding something from her? Her eyes scanned around the room but she didn’t see anything suspicious. Yoona let go of her mother and they entered her room. “Mom, are you feeling okay?”

            Mrs. Im looked into her daughter’s eyes. When looking at Yoona, she saw her youthful self. This reminded her of her husband who died while in the military. He had fought in a war and had been killed then. Yoona was still only a baby then, so Yoona didn’t know too much about it. “Yoona, don’t you think that you should get a boyfriend before I get another husband? I’ve already had the love of my life. Don’t you think that you ought to find yours?”

            Yoona noticed a serious look in her mother’s eyes. Her mother meant what she was saying. Yoona could tell from the sincerity in her eyes. But she decided to laugh it off, “Mom! What do you mean?” Yoona pretended not to know.

            “You know Nathan seems like a nice man… He got us lunch and he knew what you liked. He even knew what I liked too and he just met me. He seems pretty responsible and to really care about you. I think that you ought to find someone that will make you happy and serve as your other half.” Mrs. Im took hold of Yoona’s hands, “Whatever you choose to do, I’ll support you. As long as you’re happy.”

            Yoona smiled, “Okay mom… but I still think that you should find yours too.” Yoona argued in a playful tone.

            “Only if you do it with me, Yoona.” Mrs. Im stood up and walked out of her room. But before she exited, she turned her head to peer back at Yoona, “Oh, and by the way… Nathan kind of reminds me of your childhood friend… Ryeowook. You should see if Nathan has a Korean name.”

            “…Oh! Okay, mom…” Yoona got up and followed her mother out of the room.