Chapter 16: I Love You Part 2

Perfect for Me

Kyuhyun waited for a minute and when nobody answered the door, Kyuhyun decided to knock. He began to bang on the door. Was Joohyun really that sick?! Was she okay? “Joohyun!!” Kyuhyun yelled. “Seo Joohyun!”

            All of a sudden the door swung open. Joohyun came eye-to-eye with Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun looked at Joohyun. She looked terrible! Her face was so white and her nose was so red! “Are you okay?!” Kyuhyun managed to spit out.

            “… I feel dizzy and light-headed…” Joohyun said in a soft voice.

            Kyuhyun began to panic again. He shut the door and walked Joohyun to her bedroom. “Why don’t you rest? I’ll make you something to eat.” As he watched Joohyun walk into her bedroom to rest, Kyuhyun suddenly began to panic. He’d never cooked before! Well… he’d never cooked real food before. He only knew how to cook ramen, which she probably didn’t want to eat now; he could make her a sandwich… Kyuhyun looked from side to side wondering what he should make for Joohyun. Maybe something warm and liquidy? Congee? Kyuhyun whipped out his phone and looked online for a recipe to make congee. He’d have to rely on his phone for some help.

            Kyuhyun strolled into the kitchen and looked around. He found a pot on the stove (that wasn’t purposely set up for Kyu) and some rice soaking in water (which was also not just a coincidence… or was it?). Kyuhyun pulled his phone out of his pocket and opened a search page and felt a bit dumb as he typed into the search engine how to cook congee. He opened another page and searched another “how to” and picked up the pot. He filled it half-full with cold water and placed it onto the stove. Kyuhyun the fire and watched the water begin to boil. He picked up his phone once again and looked through the how-to videos. This was his first time cooking. He usually had his parents cook for him or he’d eat out. He never thought that he’d have to cook ever in his life… but surprisingly he did.

            After several minutes, the water began to bubble and steam surrounded the pot. Kyuhyun took that as a sign that the water was boiled. Kyuhyun quickly turned off the fire and dumped the rice into the hot water. After he put the rice into the water, he realized that he shouldn’t have turned off the fire. He shook his head and turned the fire back on. He watched as the rice was slowly cooking. Should he add anything? Was he supposed to? Should he make it more flavorful or should he just leave it bland?

            Kyuhyun started to realize how much more there was to life than gaming. For the past 25 years, he’d had his parents cooking for him and he’d just been locked up in his room gaming. He needed a life… Kyuhyun felt like a loser just thinking about it. He decided to leave the congee as it was. If she wanted some flavor in her congee later, he’d find something for her.

            Kyuhyun’s eyes drifted to his phone and his hands clicked the power button on. His fingers swiped across the screen and opened a game. As the game was loading, Kyuhyun’s eyes shifted to Joohyun’s room. He really hoped that Joohyun was fine. He’d be so worried if anything were to happen to her!

            The water began to bubble once again and Kyuhyun dropped his phone onto the table. He quickly simmered the fire as the directions had told him to do. Kyuhyun sighed and bent down to pick up his phone once again. He decided not to play now.

            Kyuhyun scooped the congee into a bowl and got a glass of water for Joohyun. He looked around the kitchen for a spoon and napkins. He picked up the tray and headed to Joohyun’s room. He noticed some flowers on the table and decided to put one onto the tray. Hopefully she’d smile when she saw the flower.