Chapter 3: My First Client

Perfect for Me

       I sat at my new desk, which I had neatly organized. I had just had an hour-long lunch conversation with Taeyeon. She'd ordered a bunch of food and treated me to eat. I felt kind of weird just eating and not chipping in, but she seemed okay with it.

       "So is business at this dating agency good?" I finished chewing a piece of kimbap and swallowed. I reached for the opened can of coca cola and took a sip. I'd already eaten a lot, but there was still a lot more to eat since she had ordered so much. She seemed to have a really big appetite.

       "Well... It hasn't been that good recently since a few of my co workers have left... It's been pretty slow recently." She smiled through the terrible news and met eye contact with me, "But I'm sure that with you here, business will get better.

      "Oh, sure..." I nodded. I was starting to rethink my choice of getting a job here. If there was hardly much business, should I look for another job instead? "Why don't you advertise the dating agency more? We should tell people about it, you know?" I suggested. I put down my chopsticks and looked around the agency. "Do you have a computer?"

      "Yeah," Taeyeon got up and retrieved a laptop from her desk. She opened it and pushed it over to me.

      I typed in an URL link and opened a page, "Do you have a website for this company?"

     "I do," Taeyeon took the laptop back and entered the link. A dull web page opened and I started to realize why there wasn't much business here.

     "Okay... This needs to be completely renovated," I shook my head and started typing and opening different pages.

     "Okay, then I'll be right back," Taeyeon left the office to let me work in quiet.

<3

      There was a knock on the door. I looked up from the computer and saw a woman other than Taeyeon standing there. Was she a client? I didn't think that she worked here since Taeyeon had told me that she was the only employee in the dating agency. I stood up and smiled at the woman, "Hello, how may I help you?" I felt nostalgic as this was how Taeyeon had greeted me when I had first came into the agency.

      When the woman was inside the room, I noticed a panicked look on her face. She was awfully jittery. In a weak cry, she suddenly exclaimed, "Please help me! Please!"

     I approached her and patted her shoulder. "Don't worry! Why don't you sit down and we'll talk?" I led her to the seating area and gestured her to a seat.

   "So why don't you tell me what happened?" I heard myself say. I surprised myself because I didn't expect myself to be taking such a bold step.

   "You see, there's this man that I really like... But he's getting married soon...!" Her voice got quieter almost into a whisper. As she continued on, tears began to fill her eyes and she couldn't see anything through her tears. She was feeling more depressed as she spoke.

    At that moment, the door opened and Taeyeon stepped back in with a drink and a granola bar in her hands. She was in the midst of chewing but when she felt the depressing atmosphere, she took a deep gulp and swallowed what she'd been chewing.  "What did I miss?"

<3

      "Oh I see, so you've been friends since childhood and now he's been put in an arranged marriage. Oh okay, we almost got the wrong idea..." Taeyeon took on her leader-like characteristics. "I think you can handle this, right, Ryeowook?" Taeyeon gestured towards me.

     "I'm Kim Ryeowook. Nice to meet you," I stood up and shook her hand.

     "I'm Kwon Yuri," she smiled and stood up to shake my hand.

      "You'll be my first client," I smiled warmly at her.