Barely Breathing

A Forgotten Silhouette

            It been three days and there was no news on MinSeul. JunHyung looked up and down, she was nowhere to be found. When he went to the flower shop only Moon wsa be inside. She wasn’t home nor was she in her parents’ home. The scandal of him and EunJi got bigger as everyone was trying to figure out who the girl was.

            “JunHyung,” EunJi sat next to him in the cafeteria. He took one look at her and went back to doing nothing, “I know what I did was wrong but can you not ignore me like this?”

            “EunJi just please just leave me alone.”

            “No luck in finding MinSeul yet?”

            “Aniyo.”

            “So…What are we going to do about the scandal?”

            “It’ll die down eventually. Just ignore it a little longer.”

            “What about the engagement party? It is like in a week right?”

            “Don’t worry about that.” He got up and left.

            “JunHyung, the CEO would like to have a talk with you?” said his manager. JunHyung followed his manager to the CEO’s office. He greeted the CEO before sitting down.

            “You know the reason I asked for you right?” JunHyung nods, “We need to get this straighten out. Who is the girl in the picture?” JunHyung stayed quiet. The CEO sighs, “Do you know what the people are saying on the street? They are saying that you are a two-timer. MinSeul-ssi has also disappeared making everyone think that you two disagreed on the engagement. Your party is in a week and she is nowhere to be seen.”

            “Mianhae.”

            “JunHyung…who is the girl in the picture?”

            “APink’ EunJi.” He didn’t look up, “We didn’t mean for the kiss to happen. It just did. We didn’t expect it to happen. I also didn’t expect MinSeul to be there either. The reason why she is gone is because we got into a fight. I haven’t been able to contact her in the last couple of days.”

            “The best thing to do now, is if MinSeul still doesn’t appear, is to call your engagement off and tell the public that you and EunJi had always been in a relationship. Or find MinSeul and continue on with the engagement. If you and MinSeul don’t come up with an agreement in the next three days the engagement will be off and you will announce your new relationship with EunJi.”

            “Andwaeyo,” JunHyung slam his hands on the desk, "I won’t do it." The CEO was surprise but he held his stern face.

            “You have no choice…It is either that or your career goes down the drain.”

            “I will find MinSeul and I will fix this.” JunHyung got up and left the room.

------

            MinSeul sat in YeonYeon’s living room in her pajamas, with her knees up to her chest. Her hair was up in a bun and the color was somewhat flushed from her face. She sat watching out the window as the time slowly went by. The last couple of days she cried silently and ate nothing. YeonYeon was worried for her and sad that she as a friend couldn’t do anything.

            “MinSeul.” Yeonnie sat down next to her with a bowl of congee, “You haven’t ate in the last couple of days. You should do that at least it isn’t healthy for you to keep doing this.”

            “Yeonnie-a.” she sighs, “I’ve must have done something wrong in my past life, because everything I feel now is pain.”

            “Min…you should at least let him explain it to me.”

            “Aniya…I know what he said wasn’t meant for me…but at the time it was painful.” Her voice was sad and her face was expressionless, “I left as soon as I could but then the pictures came out and I thought for sure he was talking about me. Even if he wasn’t, it was like going through the pain of high school all over again and I don’t think I can do that anymore.”

            “MinSeul…Moon told me that for the last couple days JunHyung came to the shop.” She sighs, “He been to your house, the shop and your parents’ house just to look for you.”

            “That means nothing to me.” 

            “Waeyo?” MinSeul stood up, “Where are you going?”

            “I can't stay here forever.” She sighs, “Thanks a lot Yeonnie.” She smiles and walks to her room to fix up her stuff.

            “Min I didn’t say you have to leave.”

            “I don’t have to stay either.” she sighs, “Plus my shop won’t run by itself.”

-------

            MinSeul arrive home at three in the morning. She went to her room and set her bag on bed. She saw that her plants were still alive, she went and touched the soil and it was still damp.  She hears the door unlock and quickly goes see who it is.

            “MinSeul,”

            “Moon, what are you doing here?”

            “I’ve been taking care of your place for you.” She smiles, “when did you get back?”

            “Not too long ago.”   

            “Are you feeling better?”

            “Ne. I can’t get any better than this.” She sighs, “How did you get into my house anyways?”

            “JunHyung gave me the passcode. He asked me to come and clean for you.” Her heartbeat slow at the sound of his name.

            “How is he doing?”

            “Same as you or so it seems. He comes by the shop every day. It hasn’t been easy with the scandal but he has comes every day since you came back.”

            “Thanks Moon for everything but you can leave now.” Moon bows and leave. MinSeul walks to her room and sits down. The picture of the kiss was in her head. She place her hand over her chest to calm herself down.

-----

            JunHyung walks to the company without anything. The guys comes running towards him all flustered. HyunSeung grabs his arm and he looks up in confusion. He stops in his track and pulls his arm back.

            “What are you doing?”

            “Don’t ask so many questions and just follow us.” HyunSeung pushes JunHyung towards the elevator and the guys followed. Everyone looked anxious and breathless.

            “What wrong with all of you guys?"

            “Just be quiet and follow us if you want to find MinSeul.” He was quiet in an instant and followed them as they exited the elevator on the fifth floor. DooJoon went first as everyone followed. He open the door slightly to check if anyone was inside. He led the guys in. JunHyung entered the room and saw MinSeul standing across the room the palest he has ever seen her. He restrained himself from moving towards her. She gave a soft smile to them.      

            “Hi JunHyung.”

            “Min-…” the words weren’t coming out of his mouth, “How are you?”

            “I’m doing okay.” She sigh.

            “MinSeul is here to tell you something.” DooJoon had his head down,

            “What?” JunHyung asked

            “I’m…” she looks at DooJoon then at JunHyung, “I’m here for the press conference.”      

            “What!”

            “I’m going to announce that we didn’t get along as well as we were supposed to and now we have to go our separate ways.”

            “Aniyo.”

            “The conference is going to be here at 3pm.” She walks towards him, “I hope you can move on; especially with EunJi, if not her then with someone that will understand you.” She sighs, “I’m not a celebrity I don’t understand your hardship…the work load neither do I understand your fans. I’ll kill your dream just by stepping into your life.” She made a fist trying to keep calm, “I hope you understand me.” She looks at the clock on the wall it was already two. “I have to go.” Walks right past JunHyung without saying a thing. He also doesn’t move and stand perfectly still.

 

            In the next hour MinSeul went live and announce the cancelation of the engagement and about how her life and JunHyung’s life were too different. Almost as if they were part of two different worlds. She personally apologizes to the parents for not going through with the engagement that was less than a week away. B2ST were all in the practice room when the channel came on. The conference was taking place in the CUBE building. Everyone was watching except JunHyung, who had his back turned to the TV the entire time. MinSeul was about to end the conference when a reporter asked a question.

            “Ms. Park MinSeul, so is it true that you and Mr. JunHyung went to CUBE high together?”

            “Ne.”

            “SO did you guys not have any previous engagement there?” She took a huge breath

            “All the member of B2ST and I attended the same high school together and we all graduated together. It wasn’t until our senior year that I finally got involve with them. It wasn’t a happy engagement but we did all become closer I would say.”

            “It also rumor that you date members of B2ST, is that correct?”

            “Yes.” She became kind of nervous, “I have dated them before they debuted.”

            “So is it jealously that made you change your mind on the engagement?”

            “Til this day many people have not found out who the girl in the picture is. Do you know who this girl is?” She stood up

            “Whoever this girl is doesn’t matter to me.” She lean onto the table, “Yes that scandal is part of the reason why the engagement was canceled but also other things.”

            “Like what?”

            “With the question earlier, I have dated two of the six members before and it wasn’t easy being the girlfriend then neither is it any easier now. Being haunted and hated everyday by people you barely know, because I dated someone that they only know through social media. The reason I gave up such a good spot, as anyone will call it, is because while in this relationship both parties were hurt and are lost on what to do next. I hope we can both find ourselves and that everyone will support our decision and the fans will keep support B2ST. I personally apologize to JunHyung and CUBE Entertainment.” she step onto the side and bows, “Thank you everyone.”

            MinSeul ran walked out the double doors next to her. Reporters followed her from the room trying to ask more questions. They all crowded her pushing their mics towards her face. She trips on someone’s leg and falls. She was able to stop the fall with her hands. Her knee and palms were scraped.

            “Get out of the way.” DooJoon pushes the reporter away. He kneels next to MinSeul and looks at her, “Gweanchah-a?” She looks at him and saw the rest of the guys farther away from the crowd.

            “Gweanchah-a.” MinSeul picks up her clutch and stands up. She looks over at JunHyung. His eyes were full of sorrow and anger. MinSeul thanks DooJoon then bows at JunHyung before leaving. JunHyung took one step forward than stop.

------

            MinSeul went to work and worked on the flowers arrangements idea that needed to be done before JungHo and YeonYeon’s wedding. Moon didn’t bother to mess with her and left to the front. MinSeul pulled out her tools and worked on the centerpieces. When she was working she hears Moon yell from the front.

            “You can’t go back there.” Moon yells. MinSeul put her clippers down and goes to the front.

            “Why can’t I go back there, huh?”

            “Stop!” MinSeul walks out and see Moon up against a group of teenage girls. The exact girls that attack her.

            “You.” the leader of the group of girls, “Who said that you can dump our oppa huh?” MinSeul crosses her arms over her chest, “He does the dumping.” The girl was all up in her face, “He probably dumped you first huh, and you just wanted to make the announcement so that you don’t look bad huh?”

            “Are you done?” MinSeul sighs, “I don’t have time to deal with little girls?”

            “Bwoh?”

            “Ka.” The girls look at her in disgust, “Get out before I drag you out myself.” MinSeul walks into the backroom.

            “Yah! Ajumma.” She yells, “Get out here you stupid .” One of the girl kick a display over and the vase shattered in pieces.

            “Ajumma! If you don’t get out here we’re gonna destroy your shop.” They started to knock things over. Moon tries to stop them. They pushed her over making her fall over onto the shattered pieces.

            MinSeul came out with a water hose and sprayed the girls and they ran out the door screaming. She followed them out still spraying them. She stops.

            “Yah you stupid b***h, what the hell do you think you’re doing?” MinSeul starts to spray them again.

            “What didn’t get enough?” One of the girls ran towards MinSeul and tackles her and grabs her hair. MinSeul pulls her off of her and kicks her in the stomach. “That how you want to play huh?” MinSeul punches the girls in the face. The other two tries to hold her down but she knew all too well and pull the girls together making them bumps heads.

            “APA.” The two yells. The leader went for MinSeul and grabs her hair.

            “You stupid ajumma. You don’t know who you’re messing with.” MinSeul had a hand full of her hair.

            “I do. A stupid little girl who don’t know when to quit even after knowing she isn’t going to get who she wants.”

            “Yah!” MinSeul took her chance and punches her in the face making her let go of her hair.

            “Yah!” DooJoon move one of the girls out of the way, “What are you girls doing?”

            “Oppa!” the girls were so surprise. They went and stood behind him, “She attacked us.”  He observe all the girls, not a single one was messed up, except that they looked more messed up than MinSeul.

            “How about you girls go home and I’ll talk to her.”

            “No you have to make her pay for what she did.” MinSeul didn’t say anything. DooJoon looks at her and back at the girls. He looks at them and takes something out of his pocket.

            “Take this and call my company then ask for me.” He hands them the business cards “I’ll get you guys the best seats in the house and at our next concert…But you guys have to promise that you will never speak of this incident or say anything.” The girls nods and ran away after getting a couple of pictures. MinSeul was already inside helping Moon with the bandage.

            “What happened?” DooJoon saw the blood on the floor.

            “DooJoon-oppa.” Moon smiles at her

            “Are you okay Luna?” he observe her wounds. Her knee and hand was being bandaged by MinSeul, who hadn’t said a word.

            “Yes, It didn’t hurt much.” MinSeul taped up her hand.

            “You won’t be working on any arrangements for a while.”  

            “What about the one for Yeonnie- unnie’s wedding?”

            “I’ll work on those.” MinSeul puts the medical supply away, “You can leave for today. I’ll clean up.”

            “MinSeul.” DooJoon called out her name, “Are you really okay with this? Being away from JunHyung?” she was acting like she wasn’t listening, “JunHyung loves you MinSeul. He loves you so much he won’t go against you. Or what you told him.” MinSeul looks at him, “He is going to make his relationship with EunJi real.” MinSeul felt her heart stop.

            “What does that have to do with me?” she asked “We aren’t together anymore.”

            “I know you still love him Min.” DooJoon was getting angry, “I see the way you look at him the way you smile when you’re with him. It’s genuine. The way you guys make each other happy and care for each other. Is that all fake.”

            “What does any of you know about me?” MinSeul said sternly, “You two broke my heart once and you say that you know me.” She scoffs, “I didn’t do this for me I did it for us. He may have love me but he lost my love when I tore out my heart. You go and tell him congratulations on his relationship with EunJi.” She went to the back room. DooJoon didn’t know what to say.

            Moon grabs her stuff and limps out the door. DooJoon walks out to help her.        

            “Did you need a ride home?”

            “Umm no thanks I’ll just take a cab.”

            “You don’t need to waste your money on a cab. I’ll take you.” He walks her towards his car, “C’mon I don’t mind.” She nods and gets in his car.

--------

            Two weeks went by and no news from anyone. MinSeul worked hard on the arrangements for the wedding. She barely ate or slept since DooJoon told her the news about JunHyung, and after a couple of days afterwards it was all over the net that EunJi was the girl that JunHyung had kissed and the company had confirmed that the two are together. (More like cover up.)

            “Min,” Moon went into the back room to bring her food. There were boxes stacked up full of the centerpieces, “MinSeul, I brought you lunch.”

            “I’m not hungry.” MinSeul didn’t take her eyes off her work.

            “You barely ate anything for the five days. If you don’t eat how are you going to continue to work?”

            “I have enough energy.” She sighs, “I do eat also.” She point at the garbage that had dumpling wraps in it.

            “That not enough.”

            “Moon just please go, I need to finish up the centerpieces.” Moon put the food on the stand and throws out the old food that MinSeul hasn’t touch since the day before.  She walks out of the room. MinSeul’s hand trembled as she put down the clippers. She puts her hands together and looks at her hands tremble. She smirks as a tear fell into her palms.

-------

            JunHyung walks around the mall with EunJi holding onto his arm. They wore sunglasses and hoodies to hide their identity. While shopping, he gets a text from JungHo about the tux fitting the next day.

            “Is something the matter?”

            “Aniyo.” He smirks and put his phone in his pocket, “JungHo-hyung texted me to remember about the photoshoot tomorrow.”

            “His wedding is this weekend correct?”

            “Yeah.”

            “You’re going look handsome.” She commented, “Do you mind if I come tomorrow?”

            “Don’t you have a full schedule tomorrow?”

            “Ahh… that right.” She pouted, “I really wanted to see how you looked in a tux.”

            “You can see at the wedding.” She sigh

            “I guess.”

------

            YeonYeon entered MinSeul’s house and it was as clean as a whistle. It wasn’t a bad thing neither was it a good thing. YeonYeon put down the dresses.

            “Park MinSeul.” She went and looked around the house, “Where are you?”

            “In here.” She followed the sound and found MinSeul fixing her bathroom sink.

            “What are you doing?”

            “Fixing my sink.”

            “Min you don’t know how to fix sinks.”

            “It’s never too late to learn.”

            “Yah, get over here.” She grabs MinSeul and drags her to the living room. She hands MinSeul her dress.

            “What is this?”

            “My dress.” YeonYeon smiles

            “Why are you giving it to me?”

            “As the maid of honor you have to take care of it. Tomorrow you, Moon, and the other girls are going to go make sure our dresses fits ad be ready for the shoot tomorrow. And you aren’t allowed to back out.”

            “Arraso.”

            “How are the flowers coming along?”

            “Finishing up the last piece and Moon is working on the corsage and boutonnieres.”

            “Good.” YeonYeon observes MinSeul face, “You gotten a lot skinner.”

            “Gweancha-a.” MinSeul smiles and walks to put the wedding dress in the closet.

            “Is it JunHyung?” MinSeul froze at the question.

            “Let not talk about that. Go get some rest so we can meet oppa tomorrow.” MinSeul closed the closet door and walks to the bathroom. YeonYeon sigh at the condition her friend was in. She take out her phone and dials a number.

            “Oppa…I was wondering if everyone is going to be at the shoot tomorrow...Nothing I was just wondering…good night oppa.”

------

            MinSeul and YeonYeon went and checked out the ballroom. It was a beautiful hall with Maplewood floor and ivory walls. Over forty round table were set up with white table cloth every other table had either and blue or orange runner. The chairs all had covers and stash corresponding to the runner.

            “So what do you think?” ask YeonYeon

            “It is beautiful, but why would you ask me that question?”

            “I just need an opinion for the wedding, the wedding is just three days away and I need to know if I need to change anything.” MinSeul went and touched the table cloth.

            “The centerpieces will go with it nicely.”

            “MinSeul, we should get going oppa is supposed to come and pick us up in a little bit.”

            “Arraso.” MinSeul grabs her jacket and they all walk out to the front of the building. A black car pulls up in front of them. The window rolls down revealing JunHyung. MinSeul was surprise to see him but he was more surprise to see her. She looked like skin and bones.

            “Why are you here JunHyung?” ask YeonYeon, “I thought oppa was picking us up?”

            “He forgot something and asked me to come instead.” JunHyung looks at MinSeul, she was looking away from him, “He didn’t want you to wait so he asked me to come.” YeonYeon nods. 

            “C’mon Min, get in.” MinSeul goes around YeonYeon and gets into the back. JunHyung looks disappointed. YeonYeon, feeling awkward, gets into the back with MinSeul. The ride to the fitting was a silent one. MinSeul fell asleep with her head against the window.

            “MinSeul.” YeonYeon tries to wake her but she was in a deep sleep.

            “Yeonnie,” JunHyun turned around in his seat, “You can go ahead and go inside, I’ll wait until she gets up.”

            “Are you sure?” JunHyung nods and YeonYeon leaves with her dress. JunHyung roll down the window and sits outside the car.  He took a closer look at MinSeul, her jawbone was almost visible. He lean into the car window observes her face. His heart was in pain from looking at what she done to herself. She had bags under her eyes, she was as white as paper, and she had small bruises all over her arm.

            “Why are you like this?” he almost touched her, but retracted his hand, “I hope you know that I will always love you.” An ambulance zoomed by waking MinSeul. JunHyung stood up straight before she opened her eyes.