HaNeul

A Forgotten Silhouette

MinSeul POV

            Everyone smiles at me urging me to help. I smiles back. “Arraso.” Yeonnie gave me a big hug and smiles.

            “Min, are you scared?” Yeonnie asked me, “If you are, I can come up there with you.”

            “Aniyo,” I place a hand on my stomach, “HaNeul will be with me up there.”

            “HaNeul?” she looked confused until she saw me smile, “Is that its name?”

            “That is what I decided for now.”

            “It beautiful.” Yeonnie smiles.          

            HyunSeung walked up to me very nervous. We look at him. “Are you ready MinSeul?”

            “Ne. What about you?”

            “Maybe.” He took another deep breath.

            “It is okay just follow me, if you get lost I’ll sing for you.”

            “Gomawo.”

 

            I walked up to the front of the stage with the guitar and the stool in my hands. HyunSeung and I sat across from each other as we sat in our seat. The curtains open up, everyone gave me a weird look as I sat there. I place the guitar in under my arm and a microphone in front of it. I had a headset on while HyunSeung had a wireless microphone.

            “Thank you everyone for coming here,” HyunSeung spoke on his microphone, “I know this was last minute thing but I am glad everyone could make it.” His voice was kind of shaky but the girl’s voices overpowered it. He took a deep breath. “You guys are all probably wondering why I am here?” He smiles, “Well…everyone falls in love.” I look into the audience and spotted who Hyuna right away. Her hand was over she looked like she was almost in tears. “I don’t have the courage to ask you out so I want to say something to you.” He took a deep breath, “With the help of my new found friend Park MinSeul as my accomplice.” I waved. HyunSeung looks at me to tell me he is ready.

            I closed my eyes and thought about the song and memories that made me feel warm inside. I took a deep breath and thought about it and HaNeul. The best I felt in years.

“MinSeul.” She looks up at him, “You look…beautiful today.” MinSeul felt her face turn red.

“These are actually Yeonnie’s clothes.” She smirks, “I had a little accident while coming here, so I had to borrow her clothes.” She nods, “Thanks anyway.”

I took a deep breath and taps on the guitar before plucking the strings.

 

1-4-3 by Henry Lau (Aucoustic)

When we’re together, I can tell just by looking in your eyes (uh uh)
When I come back home, I don’t know what to say

Everything I say is still so awkward
Your texts are still too difficult
I open the dictionary and open by open, want to know, want to know, I don’t know

            I start to harmonize with HyunSeung. He was so passionate about this song, Hyuna is going to be a lucky girl. From the corner of my eyes I saw JunHyung sitting with NaEun in the audience. My eyes wander around so that I don’t look at him but I ended up looking at him.

I’m sending 143
I still can’t express my feelings with words whoa oh oh
Sending 143, it’s not just a simple game of numbers whoa oh oh
I love you 143, you are 486
Sending 143, we’re so different
Sending 143, it’s still hard
It’s not just a simple game of number 143

My heart pounds at your one word, I stutter, what am I saying?
I look bad because I keep getting it wrong, please know my heart, know my heart

Everything I say is still so awkward
Your texts are still too difficult
I open the dictionary and open by open, want to know, want to know, I don’t know

            I start to feel the beat within me and I start to strum as HyunSeung and I sang together.

I’m sending 143
I still can’t express my feelings with words whoa oh oh
Sending 143, it’s not just a simple game of numbers whoa oh oh
I love you 143, you are 486
Sending 143, we’re so different
Sending 143, it’s still hard
It’s not just a simple game of number 143

I’m textin’ 143 to the girl that I’m loving the most
When I’m talkin’ with my friends
Oh I’m braggin’ and yeah I boast
You guys don’t know this kind of love
Even if we don’t make plans, even if we speak different languages
She’s a go girl that sticks around I know

            I don’t know when the guys went and got Hyuna but she was on stage next to HyunSeung. He got out of his seat and held her hand while serenading her. All the girls were either cheering or crying. He got close and looked into her eyes.

I’m sending 143
I can’t express my heart, whoa oh oh
Sending 143, it’s not just a simple game of numbers whoa oh oh
I love you 143, hey
Sending 143, oh yeah
Sending 143, baby you and me
It’s not just a simple game of number, whoa 143

            Everyone claps as Hyuna nods and is spun around by HyunSeung in a hug. I got up and clapped myself, with a huge smile. Balloons and confetti fell from above the stage. HyunSeung put Hyuna down and she walked over to me and hugs me. All the guys came and pushed HyunSeung around.

            “Kasamhaimnida.” She smiles

            “No problem,” I smile, “Just take care of him well.” HyunSeung came and hug me also.

            “Thank you so much.” We both laughed.

            “No problem.” I grabbed the guitar and walked around the guys who were celebrating and walked to the back. I set the guitar on the stand. “That was so hard. Good thing I even remember the song.”

            “Min.” I turn to see Yeonnie and JungHo walked towards me. Yeonnie gave me a hug, “That was awesome. You’ve been hiding all that talent, huh?”

            “Not really I just never play.”

            “Well I don’t care, you were awesome.”

            “That was a great performance.” JungHo complimented me.

            “Thanks, but we should be congratulating HyunSeung not me.” We all laughed and walked towards the exit. I felt my stomach cramp up a bit. It made me froze.

            “Are you okay?”

            “Just stomach cramp.” I took a huge breath, “Let’s go.” we all walked towards the hall. We past right by JunHyung and NaEun. I tried walking away with confidence but then it came again.

            “Ahh.” I fell onto my knees this time, one hand on my stomach the other on the floor supporting.

            “Min.” Yeonnie was freaking out. JungHo and she was on either side of me. “Gweanchah-a?”

            “Moleugess-eoyo.” I shook my head, “hajiman apa.”  I felt my stomach cramp up again, “Ahh.” I tried to breathe.

            “I’ll take her to the nurse’s office.” Said JungHo

            “Ppalli,” Yeonnie was pushed aside, “JunHyung.”

            “I’ll take her.” I didn’t really care who took me. I just wanted the pain to end. I felt my body lift off the ground and I was rushed to another room. The pain on my lower abdomen hurt more than I could bare. My breathing got heavier and I felt like I could black out anytime soon. “MinSeul don’t you dare black out on me,” he said as he ran, “Do you hear me?” I nod while trying to stay awake.

            I could hear Yeonnie and JungHo running behind JunHyung. We made a sharp turn to somewhere and I was place on a flat surface.

            “What happened?” I heard someone ask

            “I don’t know,” JunHyung answered her.     

            “She was complaining about some cramps.” Said Yeonnie. The nurse took a look at me and then back at them.

            “You guys have to wait outside.” I saw her push them out the room before I finally lose conscious.

Author POV

            The three were pushed out of the room by the nurse. JungHo comforted YeonYeon with a hug.

            “What happened?”

            “It isn’t thing serious,” YeonYeon thought of a lie, “Sometimes during her menstrual cycle she gets really bad cramps.”

            “Bad enough to fall over like that?”

            “Yes…but it only once in a while.” JunHyung kept on looking at the door that was closed in front of him. He paced back and forth. The door opened after 10 minute.

            “How is she?”

            “She needs to go home and rest for a little while.”

            “I’ll take her.” JunHyung walks right past her and picks up MinSeul off the bed and walks right out.

            “Why does he always take her?” ask YeonYeon

            “He loves her,” JungHo sighs, “But she would rather leave him than tell him the truth.”

            “I need to tell you something.” The nurse told them. “MinSeul is in a serious condition.”

--------

            JunHyung laid her down on her bed and stares at her. He turns and goes and sits in the living room. He takes out his    phone and looks at his search engine. He searches up menstrual cramps. He quickly goes and fills a water bottle with water and heats it up in the microwave for 1 min. He walks back into the room with the water bottles. MinSeul was curled up in a ball, trying to breath from the pain.

            “Min.” he walks over quickly and hands her the water bottle, “Are you okay?” she look like she was about to say something.  “Never mind don’t say anything. Place this on your stomach, it’ll help with the cramping.” MinSeul got up.

            “Where am I?”           

            “Home.” MinSeul quickly place her hand on her stomach, “What is wrong?”

            “Nothing.” MinSeul got up.

            “What are you doing?”

            “Bathroom.” She slowly got up and walked towards the bathroom with JunHyung behind her. She went in, but before closing the door she look at him. She goes and sit on the toilet while he stayed by the door. MinSeul sat on the toilet crying.

            “Min are you okay?”

            “Yes.” She wiped her tears, “You should go home.”

            “No, not until you are okay.” MinSeul took a deep breath and opens the door. He takes a step back and looks at her. “How are you feeling?”

            “I’m feeling better…ppalli kayo.” She looks up at him, but he didn’t budge, “Ka.”

            “Andwe.” MinSeul didn’t even argue with him, she walked back into her room and sits on her bed. She place the water bottle on her stomach. He walks over and sits next to her. MinSeul gets up and walks to the living room, he follows her. He followed her everywhere she went.

            “Will you please stop it!” she yells at him, “This is getting really annoying.” He shook his head and kept on following her. She got annoyed and grabbed her jacket.

            “Yah, where are you going?”

            She walks down the street with the fastest pace she could come up with, thanks to all that running it was easy. JunHyung was chasing her down the streets. She ran into a big crowd and lost him. She went into a café and sat down all the way in the back. She pulls her hoodie over her head and keeps her head down.

            “Hey guess what I heard?” she heard some adults gossiping

            “What?”

            “You know the famous couple business owners, I think their last name was Park.”

            “Yea, and the wife is a novelist,” the lady sighs, “I love her books.”

            “Will, I just heard that they were in town not too long ago.”

            “Jjinja?”

            “Ne…but I heard it was because something happened to their daughter.”

            “They have a daughter?”

            “Yea I heard about it too. I was so surprise.” The lady leans back, “Do you know what happened?”

            “I don’t really know…they left back the day after. But their car was spotted at CUBE high.”

             MinSeul sighs to herself and gets out of the café. She walks back to the house she grabs the document in her room and walks back to JunHyung’s house. She opens the front door and walks to his room. She places the document in his backpack.

            “I don’t want to do this but I can’t just sit and watch.” She looks down and places a hand over her stomach, “Lets protect your father together, HaNeul-a?”

-----

            NaEun is at her house, on the phone. “Ne abeoji…arraso…annyeong.” She hangs up the phone and walks to her room. She slowly sits down and touches her stomach. “It won’t be long now.” she grabs a picture off lamp stand next to her bed, “I won’t let her steal your appa away.”

            “NaEun?”

            “Ne, imo?”

            “How are you feeling?”

            “Better.”

            “What did your abeoji asked you?”

            “He was just wondering how I was doing?”

            “H-how is the baby?”

            “She starting to kick a bit.” NaEun smiles, “It hurts but I’m happy with it.”

            “How is JunHyung-ssi?” her smile fades

            “He is doing fine. He is quite happy actually.”

            “That is good, you should tell him to come by more often.”

            “Ne.”

-----

JungHo POV

            I walked Yeonnie home, her expression got me worried. As we walked she said nothing, she in her own little world.

            “Yeonnie?” no answer, “Yeon-a.”

            “Huh?”

            “What is wrong?”

            “I don’t know how we are supposed to bring this news to MinSeul.”

            “We’re just going to have to.” I sigh, “It isn’t going to be good for her or her baby, and she has to make that decision.”

            “Jung, you don’t know how bad that is going to hurt her.”

            “A child is a miracle only God can give, but he can take it away also.” I place my hand on her shoulder, “She has to know, it is her or her child.”

            “She already loves HaNeul.”

            “Who is HaNeul?” I was confused

            “The fetus.” Yeonnie took a deep breath, “She name her fetus already.”

 

-----

Author POV

            MinSeul sat on the lounge chair in the back patio relaxing with a newly warmed water bottle on her stomach. She kept on feeling pain. She place a hand on her stomach and sighs.

            “Can you let umma relax a bit HaNeul-a?” She closed her eyes and laid back, “The sun feels good right now.”

            “MinSeul.” MinSeul shot up quick, JunHyung sat down right next to her, “Why are you running away from me?” She avoids eye contacts with him, “These past couple days I feel like you have been ignoring me.” He sigh, “I know what I’ve done wrong but this is torturing me.”

            “I’m not running away.” She sighs, “I’m just distancing myself. It isn’t good if I am with you.”

            “Why?”

            “When I am with you I feel hurt and it hurts NaEun also and that isn’t good for them both.” MinSeul says in a sad monotone voice, “Before I met you I thought that my heart would never beat again because of DooJoon. But you…you made my heart beat again even after knowing that you got NaEun pregnant.” She stood up, “What I really do hope is that you don’t make any stupid decision.”

            “What are you talking about?”

            “You’ll know when time comes.” MinSeul stood up, “Thanks for today…you should get going.” MinSeul went into the house.

------

            MinSeul walked into a room that no one was using during lunch. She slides the door close behind her and walked forward toward the desk. Another person sat by the window.

            “You’re finally here.”

            “What do you want NaEun?”

            “Min, I think you know exactly what I want.” She walked over with her hand over her stomach, “We were never enemies before I got here, and we were actually friends. Who would have thought that you and I would have to become enemies?” MinSeul smiles

            “We aren’t friends nor are we enemies.” She sighs, “JunHyung is my friend and a good one, but who would have thought that he would have gotten you pregnant before leaving you.”

            “How do you know about me and JunHyung? How do you know that I am pregnant?”

            “How I found out isn’t important, but what you need to worry about is if that baby is really JunHyung or not?” NaEun had a dead expression, “Yes I know he left you because he caught you in a relationship with someone else.”

            “You.”

            “I am leaving and you…need to coop with things.”

            “You’re just mad that I took the person you love huh?” MinSeul looks back at her, “I’ve notice the way he looks at you. But even if this child is his or not he’ll stay with me. Unlike you I have something to drag him with. We love each other, nothing you can ever imagine.”

            “How can you be so sure?” MinSeul scoffs, “JunHyung left you once, what makes you think he won’t do it again? With one slight revealing I guarantee you that he’ll leave you, then again I’m not like you. Because I can’t bear to break him with my selfish need.” MinSeul gets out of the room and slides the door closed. She could hear NaEun scream her head off. MinSeul took a deep breath and walked to her class with her hand on her stomach.

            When she stood in front of the classroom door, all eyes were on her and her eyes landed on JunHyung. She took a deep breath and walked over to DooJoon. “What is wrong?” he asked her.

            “Let’s go.” MinSeul sighs. He stood up and placed his hand on her shoulder.

            “Gweanchah-a?” MinSeul didn’t answer him and look down at her feet. They heard somebody running to the classroom. Dasom ran into the classroom. She was out of breath and looked around the room. She spotted JunHyung and ran to him.

            “NaEun collapsed in the lab upstairs.” Everyone gasp at the news. JunHyung looked at Dasom and then at MinSeul who didn’t even turn to look at him. “Ppalli.” Dasom pulls him along. JunHyung went willingly but he didn’t take his eyes off of her until he was out of the room.

            “Min-.”

            “Never mind I’ll go on my own.”

            “No, I’ll go with you.” He grabs his bag and they left together.
------

            DooJoon and MinSeul went to the park that he chase her to in the middle of the semester. Her steps were slow but he didn’t mind it. She walk towards the swings and sat there, expressionless. He looked down at her.

            “Min.” she look at him, “What is the matter?”  MinSeul sighs.

            “DooJoon-a, I know it is still very early to tell but would you mind being HaNeul’s god-father?”

            “You mean.” He pointed at her stomach.

            “Ne.” she smirks.

            “I’ll be honored.”

            “Gomawa.” She looks at the ground.

            “Min, what been up with you lately?”

            “I’m confused, I feel like I can die any second just watching them.” DooJoon kneel right next to her scared and hold her shoulders.

            “Min don’t tell me.”

            “Aniya.” She chuckles, “I’m not really going to die. I just feel like I can.” She smiles and pinches his cheeks, “Who do you think I am?”

            “My friend.”

            “Ne and a good one at that.” They both smiles

            “If I do something promise you won’t get mad at me?” DooJoon asks she nods. “Anneyoeng,” he talked to her stomach, “I’m your god-father DooJoon.” MinSeul looks around kind of embarrassed, “Be nice to your umma, she having a hard time with your appa, arraso?” he pretends to listen to her stomach. “Arraso, that my little HaNeul.”