I CAN Do This Alone

A Forgotten Silhouette

            JunHyung enter the classroom and MinSeul wasn’t there. He looked around the class but she was nowhere to be seen. He walks up to DooJoon. “Hyung have you seen MinSeul?”

            “Bwoh?” he was confused, “Didn’t you two leave the classroom together?”

            “Ne…but she came back first.” DooJoon tried think and something popped out in his head. He rushed past JunHyung without saying a word.

            “Hyung!” JunHyung followed him out.

           

            MinSeul got into the car where her mother was waiting for her. She had her hair pulled back in a bun and dressed in a grey dress and a black blazer. She greeted her mother with a bow. The driver started to drive somewhere.

            “How are you feeling?” her mother asked her with an emotionless face.

            “I’m okay, just a little morning sickness.”

            “Did hal-eomoni-?”

            “Ne, she gave me oranges this morning.” MinSeul didn’t hesitate to answer her. “Enough with the side talk. What do you want?” her mother sighs. 

            “Your appa and I was talking last night,” she looks at her mother, “We both agree that we weren’t really ever there for you. We are sorry for that.”

            “Appa couldn’t come and say that himself?”

            “Min that isn’t the point here.” Her mother tried to get her to listen, “I am your umma and you are my daughter. I felt the worst because I wasn’t there when you needed me. When you were have boy problems I didn’t help or talk to you. When you wanted to come and live with hal-abeoji and hal-eomoni, I didn’t stop and think for a second. I had to find out through a stupid letter you left for me.”

            “Umma none of that matters anymore.”

            “Min…you and this baby is going to need your appa and me.” MinSeul bit back because she knew she would need their help. “I don’t care who the appa of the baby is but you need to figure out how this going to play out in your life.”

            “I’m not going to abandon this child umma.”

            “Why won’t you tell us who the appa is?”

            “Because…he might be the father of another unborn child.”

            “What do you mean by ‘of another unborn child’?”

            “His pregnant girlfriend came to this school to track him and told him about the unborn child that she was carrying.”

            “How does he know it is his?”

            “He doesn’t know.”   

            “Min, how on earth did you let this all happened?”

            “I don’t umma.”

            “MinSeul, you are a grown woman. You have month until graduation and now you are pregnant. Imagine what this child will do to your future, think about your father and me”

            “STOP THE CAR!” The driver jerk the car. MinSeul looks right at her mother, “This child would be the light and hope of my life. The reason I’ll have something to fight for.” MinSeul opens the door, “This child doesn’t have to know its grandparents all it will need is me.” MinSeul got out of the car and walk back towards the school.”

            “MinSeul.” Her mother got out of the car, “PARK MINSEUL!”

            MinSeul walked back towards the school and was met half way by the two guys.

            “MinSeul,” said DooJoon, “where have you been?”

            “Nothing, I just forgot something at home and went back and got it.” She made up an excuse, “Is something the matter?”

            “We got worried that you gotten in to trouble again.” DooJoon sighs, “Why didn’t you just tell me that you were going to get something. It would have been faster if we took my car.”

            “It is ok. I didn’t want to bother you.”

            “So what did you go get?” ask JunHyung after noticing she had nothing in her hands.

            “Some…,” she looks at DooJoon then back and him, “girl things.”

            “Oh.” JunHyung nodded, “Why didn’t you just ask the nurse?”

            “I didn’t think about it.” DooJoon already knew something was up.

            “C’mon let head back to class before we missed even more of class.” They all returned to class together and had to stand in the hallway with their hands up for being late to class. MinSeul stood in between them. Her arms got heavy quicker than she thought.

            “Are you alright?” ask JunHyung

            “I’m fine.” MinSeul lied, her arms felt like they were burning, “You guys shouldn’t have followed me, you wouldn’t have gotten into this mess.”

            “It worth it as long as you are safe.”

            NaEun and SISTAR walks over to them. They snarl and laughed at MinSeul while the others pity the guys.

            “JunHyung are you okay?” he replied to NaEun with a nod. She looks over at MinSeul and scoff, “You would be the reason oppa is being punished.” MinSeul didn’t answer or say anything. She kept her hands up. NaEun scoffs and walks over to her, “Are you not admitting to it?”

            “I didn’t tell either of them to come and follow me.” MinSeul responded, “They came on their own free will.”

            “Are you sure you didn’t seduce them?”

            “I don’t have time for that…graduation is coming soon and I don’t have time for interruption. I never had a boy then I won’t have a boy now to distract me. If you want him than keep him on your leash.” NaEun was about to slap MinSeul when the teacher walk out the classroom.

            “What are you guys doing?” He walked towards the group.            

            “Nothing,” said Hyorin, “we were just asking MinSeul and them why they got punished. Nothing more.” They went away. She walks over to them.

            “I hope that you guys won’t be missing class again.”

            “Sorry saesangnim.” They said together.

            “It almost the end and you guys are graduating soon why the sudden incident.”

            “Sorry, this is my fault.” MinSeul apologize, “I was the one that left the school. They followed me.” She sighs.

            “Since this is the first time this has happen I won’t report it to the principal.” She seem disappointed in them. “You guys can leave now.” They all put their hands down slowly due to the pain. They all groan.

            “Ah.” MinSeul winced and rubbed her arm.

            “Are you okay?” JunHyung asked her.

            “I’m fine, just a little sore.” She looks up at him, “You should go with NaEun now.” MinSeul walked away. NaEun slowly goes and holds onto his arm. He looks at her and walks away without waiting for her.

------

            DooJoon dropped off MinSeul at her house and left. MinSeul went to her room to study for her exam. She skipped dinner and didn’t even notice it. She started to feel hungry and look at her watch. “Oh my goodness. No wonder I am so hungry.” MinSeul went to the kitchen but there was nothing there that she wanted to eat. “I’m gonna have to go to the store.”

She grabbed her jacket and walked out the door and headed towards the store. She walked up and down the aisle looking for something to satisfy her cravings.

“Baby why do you want so much?” she sighs. After an hour of shopping she went to check out.

“You’re total it $30.00.” MinSeul felt her pockets and she forgot to bring her wallet. She felt so embarrassed.

“Here you go.” Someone reach out and paid for her food. She looks over her shoulder and see JunHyung.

“Thanks you said the cashier.”

JunHyung and MinSeul walked back home in the dark. MinSeul chowing down on some snacks without a care in the world. JunHyung laughs.

“What?”

“I can’t help but notice the way you are eating.”

“I just got the cravings, I don’t know why.” She sighs and throws her piece on chip back into the bag, “Thanks you for paying for the food. How on earth did you know I was here?”

“I followed you.” He smiles, “I was taking out my trash and heard your door open. You didn’t even notice me and went on your way. I followed you because it was dark and a girl should never walk in the dark alone.”

“Thanks.” They were only two blocks away from their house.

“So MinSeul, I’ve been meaning to ask?”

“Yes?”

“How did you find out about NaEun and the baby?” he turned his head to look at her. She took a quick glance at her feet before looking up.

“It was the night we went to the amusement park together,” she sighs, “I was going to bring you back your jacket.”

MinSeul walks up JunHyung’s stairs to his house. As she walked closer she notice two people talking. She places her ear against the door.

“NaEun, you knew better than to get on those rides.”

“I’m fine Junnie.”She sighs, “You didn’t seem to worry about me when you were around MinSeul.”

“NaEun don’t change the subject on me. This is about us not her.” JunHyung sat down on the couch, “What if something was to happen to the fetus?” MinSeul’s eyes widen. “I wouldn’t know what to do.”

“Oppa, I know how much this baby mean to you and I am sorry for that.” She hugs him, “Mianhae.”

“I went home trying to figure out what to do.” MinSeul sigh, “You keeping a secret like that from us. We all would have found out one way or another.”

“MinSeul, if NaEun didn’t appear when she did I would have asked you out.” MinSeul looks at him, “I would have never let a tear leave your eyes and I would have made you the happiest person in the world.”

“JunHyung,” she smiles, “Thank you so much for even considering that of me.”

“That is why I want you to date hyung.”

“JunHyung we already talked about this.” She sighs, “I’m not going to date DooJoon and that is final. We are just friends.”

“If you don’t date hyung, I’ll abandon NaEun and tell everyone about us.”

“Yah!” MinSeul couldn’t believe she was getting blackmailed, “Who do you think you are? You think you can jump into anyone’s life and get out whenever you want? That isn’t how it works. If you ever leave NaEun and that unborn child, I promise you that you’ll never see me again.”

MinSeul turns to leave but JunHyung grabs her wrist and pulls her towards him. He quickly cups her cheeks and kisses her. MinSeul struggled at first to push him away but he just kept forcing himself on her. She tries to push him without injuring herself.

“Ahh.” JunHyung backed away cover his mouth. MinSeul’s breathing was heavy, “did you just bite me?” she didn’t say anything. She picked up her bags of food and walked towards her house. “MinSeul.”

“Stay away from.” She closed the door. JunHyung let out a regretful sigh.

“Otteke?”

------

            MinSeul went to school feeling great the next day. She was surprise she didn’t have any morning sickness that morning. She ate a little bit of breakfast and went to school. She puts some oranges in her bag just in case she didn’t feel good. DooJoon picked her up as usual.

            When they got to school MinSeul went straight to class to talk to YeonYeon about her appointments and plans after high school. They can hear girls whining in the hall way as it got closer to the door. JunHyung walked in with the palest face anyone had seen. NaEun was supporting him ton his seat.

            “Oppa gweanchah-a?” he nods but quickly covers his mouth as if he was about to throw up. “Oppa~.” NaEun cries a little, “You should go to the nurse’s office.”

            “You know Min,” YeonYeon whispers to her, “There is a saying that the father of the baby can have morning sickness instead of the mom.”

            “Bwoh?”

            “Some say it is because they can’t coop with certain things and want to protect their family, so their mind plays a trick on them.” MinSeul remembers JunHyung following her and walking with her back to the house.

           

            JunHyung laid down on the bed in the nurse’s office with an arm over his eyes and trash can besides him. NaEun left to class after some convincing from him. The nurse walks up to him.

            “How are you feeling?” she asked

            “I feel drained.” He took a deep breath, “So do you know what is wrong with me?” she sighs and looks at her clipboard.

            “From what you are telling me it seems like you are pregnant?”

            “Bwoh?” he got up so fast, “That isn’t possible.”     

            “I know it isn’t.” She laugh, “But it is possible for a father to be to show signs of morning sickness when he is worried or become protective.” She looks at him.

            “Why are you staring at me like that?” He avoided eye contact with her. He was too surprised at what she had found out with just a little bit of information.

            “I want to know who you got knocked up.” He didn’t answer, “Want to play the guessing game with me, huh?” she smiles and crosses her arm. “Is it Bora?” No reaction, “Hyorin?” still no reaction, “YeonYeon?”

            “Bwoh?”

            “No, no you are right.” The nurse sat down in her chair, “she doesn’t even like you.” She kept thinking, “MinSeul.” JunHyung just rubs his hands together, “So it is her.”

            “Andwe.” The nurse looked surprised, “I-I-I mean…we did do it but…she isn’t the one.”

            “How can you be so sure?”

            “I’m not.” JunHyung sighs, “I research on pregnancy and one thing I know is that they tend to be clingy, but MinSeul isn’t like that.” The nurse shook her head and looks at him in disappointment.

            “Then who is it?”

            “Son NaEun.”  The nurse thought about it.

            “The girl who brought you in here?” JunHyung nods, “How far long is she?”

            “She told me about five months.” The nurse crosses her arms over her chest. “What is wrong?”

            “Have you-?” the knock at the door stopped her from finishing her sentence. MinSeul cracks open the door and peeks through. “Ahh MinSeul.” MinSeul notice that they looked like they were having a conversation.

            “Am I interrupting something?”

            “Ani, not at all.” MinSeul walks in with an orange in her hand and closes the door behind her. “So what brings you in here?”

            “Actually I was just wondering how he was doing?” the nurse looked at MinSeul notice the orange in her hand. She looks back at JunHyung and sighs.

            “MinSeul can I ask you for a favor?” The nurse stood up and fixed her doctor coat.

            “Ne.” she replied.

            “Can you stay and watch JunHyung for a bit.” MinSeul and JunHyung stared at each other, “I need to go and make copies of an excuse reports for classes I ran out.”

            “That is okay I’ll stay here.”

            “Thank You." The nurse left the two alone in the office. MinSeul sat down in the nurse’s chair playing around with the orange in her hand.

            “Are you really here to see me?” she replies with a nod and hands him the orange.

“This is to help with the vomiting. I don’t know how good it would work for you but it helped me.” He took orange and looked at it. He sat it down on the side.

 “About last night…I’m sorry.

            “Gweanchah-a.”

            “No let me finish.” He sighs, “I was a jerk and only thought about how I felt I never thought about you. But I really care for you MinSeul-a.” All of a sudden he starts to gag and places himself over the trash can. MinSeul got on her feet quick and pats his back.

            “JunHyung, gweanchah-a?” He nods and she hands him a tissue to wipe his mouth. “You should lay down and rest.” She helps him onto the bed and she sat back down. She didn’t know how tired she was until she started to fall asleep too.

            “MinSeul.” MinSeul woke up. She was laying on the bed staring at the ceiling, “MinSeul.” She got up and saw the nurse. “Are you okay?”

            “Ne.” she looked around, “Where is JunHyung?”

            “He went to back to class already. He probably left you on the bed also.”

            “I should be getting class too.”

            “MinSeul I have quick question?”

            “Ne?”

            “You’re pregnant aren’t you?”