Give Up

A Forgotten Silhouette

She enters the classroom and the talking stops. She walk towards her room desk and sat right down. Pretty soon class started and the seat next to her was still empty. She looked at her phone and no message either. She was beginning to feel guilty.

“MinSeul.” YeonYeon whispers to her, “Why are you here? You’re supposed to be at home resting.”

“Gweancha-ah.” MinSeul packed her stuff in her bag. She look over her shoulder.

“JunHyung isn’t coming today.” MinSeul looks at YeonYeon, “Gi-Kwang said last night JunHyung called Gi-Kwang to meet him a special club owned by his family. JunHyung was a mess and Gi-Kwang had to drop him off at home.” MinSeul couldn’t help but felt it was partially her fault.

“Why are you telling me this?”

“GiKwang said that he said something about you.” MinSeul zips up her bag, “He said that he thought you were different…and that you weren’t like other girls. He told Gikwang about how much he liked you regardless of how much a tomboy you are.”

“Seems like you were the one talking to him not Gi-Kwang.” YeonYeon gave her a guilty expression, “I don’t care what he thinks. If he wanted me to know he’ll have told me up front.” She picks up her bag, “See you tomorrow Yeonnie.”

-------

“I’m back!” she says as she came in.

“Min-a.” Grandmother came running to the front door, “Where have you been? You had me worried sick.”

“I went to school.”

“You aren’t well enough for that you know!”

“Mianhae hal-eomoni.”

“Don’t do that next time.” She nods.

“I’m going into my room.” She walk to her room and sit at her desk. She can see his house from her window and notice the light were off.  “Should I go?”

She packs some food and walks over to his house and knocks on the door. No answers. She twist the knob.

“His door is unlocked.” She walks in ad notice the stench right away. “JunHyung.” she called out for him with no reply. “Yong JunHyung.” she set the food on the table and continue looking for him.

“What do you want?” he came out from his room. He had an emotionless expression on his face.

“I came to check up on you.”

“Waeyo?”

“Yeonnie told me about you.” She sigh, “I came to check up on you and brought some food for you on the table. I’ll be going.”

“You want to know what I hate?” MinSeul stop in her tracks, “I hate girls who act like they care but doesn’t really.” MinSeul scoffs, “Maybe I might have mistaken it when I first meet you but I want you to know that I don’t have time to deal with that stupid game of yours.”

“Did I hurt your feelings?” MinSeul looks at him, “Who was it that wanted to be my friend? Who was it that was trying so hard after getting pushed away?” JunHyung shut his mouth, “I didn’t tell you to become my friend you wanted to. So don’t put this one on me just because you didn’t get the answer you want.” MinSeul clenches her fist, “If you want to compare, I should be the one that is hurt a lot more…right when I put my guard down you want to all of sudden confess. Don’t you think I would have more going through my mind?”

“MinSeul-a.”

“No…I understood you perfectly.” MinSeul walks out the door, “I was worried about you for nothing.” She wipes the tear that was in her eyes. JunHyung ran out the door and jumped off his porch and cut her off.

“MinSeul-a.”

“Get out of my way.” She tries to go around him but he puts his hands out to stop her. “Ka!” she yells at him.

“Andwe.” He says sternly, “Listen to what I have to say.”

“Listen to you, about what!” She glares at him, “Listen to you about how I hurt you with my decisions. If that is all then I don’t want to.” She pushed pass him.

“I like you MinSeul.” He yells out, she was puzzled, “I have to admit…I was pretty mad when you didn’t tell me your answer at the hospital.” He walks and stood in front of her, “I don’t know when I liked you or why but all I know is that when I see you smile I feel happy; and when you were upset or mad, I can’t help but worry.”

MinSeul scoff at him. “Is that the line you and Doo-Joon use to get girls?”

“Bwoh?”

“Doo-Joon told me those exact words before we became official.” MinSeul sighs, “Mianhae JunHyung-a. I like you,” Those words made him felt happy, “but I need more time…you’re his friend and I am his ex.”

“Why would he matter?”

“Because he is your friend.”

“MinSeul if I like you and want to be with you he doesn’t matter.”

“What if I you were in my shoe?” JunHyung paused at her question, “Would she matter…your ex?” MinSeul sighs, “I don’t want you to have to choose. If I was to let you choose between me and him, I would rather leave.” The tears brim in her eyes from her memory, “I choose to leave Doo-Joon because I knew he would have been happier without me.”

“And he came after you…he followed you.” JunHyung wipe the tears from her face, “But he stopped…but I’ll follow you until you have nowhere to run.”

“JunHyung the last time I ran I didn’t escape; what is the point now?”

“So what is your answer to me?”

“I don’t have an answer.” She shrugs his hands off of her, “It is getting late…we have to rest. You have a lot to catch up on at school tomorrow.”

------

YeonYeon sat at her desk looking over her stuff.

BUZZ BUZZ

She look at the message on her. It was from JungHo.

Look out your window.”

YeonYeon gets up from her desk and walks towards her window. JungHo stood out on the lawn by his car. YeonYeon grabs her jacket and head down the stairs and went outside to meet him.

“What do you want?” she crossed her arm over her chest.

“I wanted to talk to you…without anyone around.”

“MinSeul…told me everything already.”

“And you’re not made at me?”

“I was.” She nods, “but there is no point at being mad you. I know and understand exactly why you did it.”

“So are we okay now?” YeonYeon smiles

“Yeah we’re okay now.” JungHo nods and grabs a present out from his car, “What is that?” He hands it to her.

“It was a gift I bought for you, for our anniversary. You were bugging me to get it for you.” He sounded so sad. She held on tight to the gift. She slowly unwrapped it. It was a white pocket vest.

“JungHo.” She was speechless and he avoided looking right at her.

“I wanted to give it to you sooner but I thought that maybe you wouldn’t remember.”

“Gomawa.” She hugs him tightly, “Jjinja gomawa.” He was hesitant to hug her back but it felt right to.

“You’re welcome.” They parted from each other, “Good night.” He kissed her forehead, got in his car and left. She looked down at the gift he gave her and smiled.

“You still love him.” She was surprise to hear a voice behind her. She turns around.

“Gi-Kwang.” He stood by the driveway.

“You know that hyung can’t be with you right.”

“I know.” She looks down

“The only way for him to be with you is-.”

“To break up EunHye.” She look right at him, “Way to state the obvious. What are you doing here?”’

“I came to check up on you.”

“Waeyo?”

“I just wanted to.”

“Thanks Gi-Kwang but you can go home now.” She walks inside holding onto the vest. GiKwang watch as she walked into the house.

“Why can’t you just give up on him?” He sighs, “I love you too.”

------

MinSeul Pov

Going to school never felt the same after that night. It just really became awkward between us…all of us actually. JungHo and EunHye didn’t look as happy as they used but they were still together. YeonYeon avoided the guys altogether. SISTAR never came and mess with me much but I never really could say for sure that they’ll stop messing with me.

“MinSeul.” Yeonnie and I sat in the garden with our lunches. Yes this is the place where I got jump by the girls but so what, I didn’t care. I just wanted peace and quiet. “Have you given him an answer yet?”

“Aniyo.” I sigh

“Waeyo?” she puts her fork down, “I thought you liked him.”

“I do.” I bit my lip.

“Then why are you hesitating.”

“Because I want to settle things with Doo-Joon first.”

“Why would you do that?”

“If I want everything to end well I have make sure everything is alright.”

“When Min?”

“I don’t know.”

“Time is of the essence.”

 

Author Pov

DooJoon and the rest of the guys sat in their room doing their “after school activities”. JunHyung walks in late and looks straight at DooJoon.

“Hyung.” DooJoon looks up at him. “We need to talk.” JunHyung exit the room with DooJoon out after him.

 

They both walk out the school to the back. DooJoon stands next to JunHyung.

“What did you want to talk about?”

“Hyung we’ve been friends since I can remember.” They didn’t look at each other, “We’ve shared everything with each other and helped each other.” JunHyung looks right at his hyung, “There are certain things that I certainly won’t share with you.”

“What are you trying to tell me exactly?” DooJoon looks straight at him.

“I want you to give up on MinSeul. She has suffered with you enough. I’ll take of her from now on.”

“I thought I told you before that I don’t care what you do. She gets to choose who she wants to be with. It is her choice not ours.”

“Will now I am going to make her choice for her.” DooJoon scoffs

“Since when did you start to make MinSeul’s choice for her?”

“Since I confessed to her.”

“That doesn’t mean a thing. We both confessed that night. If all you’re trying to do is this than I’m sorry I’m not giving up on her.” DooJoon pats JunHyung on the shoulder and walk back to the door.

“What if the reason she isn’t willing to move on is because of you.” He looks back JunHyung, “Because she scared that you are the one that is going to get hurt. The reason she won’t give me an answer is because of you.”

“Are you saying she loves me?”

“No” Both guys turn their focus towards the door. MinSeul stood there with Yeon Yeon behind her, “She just doesn’t want her first real friend to get hurt by her decision.”

“MinSeul.” Said DooJoon

“DooJoon we were over back then, and we are never getting back together ever.”

“Are you making your decision on us?”

“Yes…I hope that you can still be my friend.” DooJoon felt heatbroken and speechless. He looks up and walks toward JunHyung.

“If you hurt her in anyway…I’m coming after you.” DooJoon walk pass MinSeul into the school.

MinSeul looks right at JunHyung and goes back into the school, with Yeon Yeon behind her.

“MinSeul.” JunHyung ran inside after her, “Hajima.” He grabs her arm.

“Bwoh?” she looks at him with emotionless eyes.

“Are you mad at me?”

“Why would I have a reason to be mad at you?” MinSeul sighs, “I’m going home, see ya later.”

-----

MinSeul and YeonYeon went to her house and study together. YeonYeon sat at the dining table while MinSeul cooked something to eat.  There was a small TV that sat in at the corner of the dining room. The news caster reading the weather for everyone.

“Min?”

“Hmm.”

“Where are your grandparents?” YeonYeon’s eyes wander around the house, “I haven’t seen them since I got here.”

“They went to visit my parents in the big city for a week.”

“So you are by yourself for a whole week.” MinSeul turns around with a piece of carrot in .

“Waeyo?” she walks to the table with a tray of snacks, “You do it all the time.”

“Half of that time I spend it with you here, because I’m scared.”

“I’ll be fine Yeonnie; I’m a big girl.” MinSeul smiles at her.

“Breaking news.” The new anchor says, “This just end…police reports that a robber has fled the crime scene after robbing a convenient store. He is arm and highly dangerous.”

“Min.” YeonYeon looked scared, “Isn’t that the convenient store by the school.” MinSeul took a better look at the small picture by the corner of the screen.

“He is sad to be arm and highly dangerous. Police wants locals to lock their door and be very cautious.”

“Min, we should lock the doors.” MinSeul nods.

“You get the back door and I got the front.” They both get up to go lock the doors. MinSeul approach the door when it open all of a sudden. “AHH!” she yells and covers herself with her arms.

“What wrongs Min?” YeonYeon came running towards the living room after hearing the scream. She saw JunHyung crouching down next to MinSeul.

“Min.” he taps her lightly and she looks up at him, “Gwaenchah-a?”

“Yah.” She pushes him down on his and stands up, “What do you think you’re doing, barging into people’s house like that all of a sudden?”

“Yah!” he stood up, “I saw the news and got worried about you so I ran over to make sure you were alright.”

“If scaring me half to death is helping then, no thank you.”

“I don’t mean to interrupt you two but, can you two stopping arguing like a mad married couple and lock that door before someone really does come in here and kills us.” YeonYeon said shyly. JunHyung turns around a locks the door. MinSeul walks back into the kitchen and got back to her studying. She totally ignores JunHyung and focus on her studies.

RING RING

YeonYeon picks up her phone.

“Yeobosaeyo?”

“Yeonnie-ah, I just saw the news, where are you?” ask JungHo

“I’m at MinSeul’s house. Where are you?”

“I’m…”

“With EunHye?” there was a silent pause, “Its okay…I’ll be fine. JunHyung is here with us too. Just be careful alright.”

“If anything happens call me right away, arraso?”

“Arraso.” YeonYeon smiles, “Annyeong.” YeonYeon hangs up the phone. She walks slowly back to the dining room and overheard the two’s conversation.

“JunHyung can you stop looking over my shoulder.”

“But I want to help you.”

“Sit then, don’t stare over my shoulder.”

“Why? Does it make you uncomfortable?”

“Ne.”

YeonYeon walks in and see JunHyung leaning over MinSeul’s shoulder and staring at the paper she was looking at. She notice MinSeul was blushing and JunHyung looked happy.

“Uh-Hmm.” She clears . They both looks at her, “If you don’t mind JunHyung.”

“Yeah.” He backs off slowly to a chair near MinSeul. YeonYeon goes and sits down and study. The power goes out not too long later.

“Really?” MinSeul whines

“Where is your breaker at?” ask JunHyung

“It is outside around the back.”

“I’ll be right back.” As soon as he got up he was pulled back down, “Bwoh?”

“Babo…don’t you remember that there is a robber running around in the area.” JunHyung unclasps her hand from his sweater and holds it.

“It okay…I’ll be fine just watch out for each other.” He pats her head and turns on the flashlight on his phone. He unlocks the back door but before leaving his turns around to the girls, “Lock the door after I exit and don’t open unless you know who it is, arraso?” MinSeul nods. JunHyung exit to thee back and closes the door. MinSeul locks the door, but her heart felt uneasy and looks out the window as he walks towards the side of the house.

“Min.” She looks back at YeonYeon, “He’ll be alright…he is just going to check on the breaker.” MinSeul nods and walks back towards the dining table. Both of the girls went back to studying.

CRASH!