Meet the Parents

A Forgotten Silhouette

DooJoon Pov

            I sat down in the room next to her. Her head was wrapped and she looked so peaceful in her sleep. I walked over and sat in the seat next to her bed. I grabbed her hand and held it against my face.

            “Bwoh?” I was so shocked. Was I hearing things? I pretty sure Yeonnie and hyung heard the same thing too.

            “I said that you are going to be a father.” The doctor took my hand and shook it, “Congratulations and please be careful. These are delicate times.”

            “Ne, kamsahamida.” I bow and he left the three of us. I looked at the two behind me, “I wasn’t hearing this correct?” Yeonnie looked as shocked as I did.

            “Is Min, really pregnant?” Yeonnie looked like she was going to collapse, “How is it even possible?” They both look at me.

            “Bwoh?” I didn’t catch on until a little later, “It isn’t mine. Min and I never did it. We’re only friends.”

            “Then wh-?” Her eyes lit up, “JunHyung-ssi?”

            “I don’t care who the baby daddy is,” said JungHo Hyung, “I want to ask Minsel why she let it happened. She isn’t someone who would let that kind of stuff happen.” He sighs and slip his hand in his pocket, “Whatever happens we can’t let anyone know about this until we’re sure.”

            I looked at her flawless face and I felt angry at myself. Why would she do this? Why was she so careless to let this happened to her? “Pabo? Why are you so careless?” I held her hand tight, “I know you loved him but this isn’t the right way of trying to keep him. Having a child is a big responsibility.”

            “I didn’t mean to do it.” I looked at her and I was so happy he was awake.           

            “MinSeul, how are you feeling? Are you okay?” she shook her head and tears came down her eyes. I wiped them away, “Why are you crying?”

            “I didn’t mean to DooJoon.” The tears drenched her face, “It is my fault this happened. I didn’t mean for any of it to happen.”

            “Min, gweanchah-a.” I hugged her and she grab a hold onto my arm, “I don’t care about what you did, as long as you are okay, I’m happy.” She took a deep breath and removed herself from my embrace.

            “Does JunHyung know?” she tried to calm down.

            “Aniyo…I don’t even think he knows you’re in the hospital.”

            “Don’t let him know DooJoon.” She held on to my hands, “Jebal…don’t tell him.”

            “Waeyo?” she looked away. “Why don’t you want me to tell him?” MinSeul bit her lip trying to conceal something.

 

            When I got out of the room I heard footsteps running towards me. “Hyung!” I looked up and saw JunHyung and all the anger got into me, “Is MinSeul okay?”

            “She is fine.” He sighed in relief, “But I’m not going to let you see her.”

            “What are you talking about hyung?”

            “You’re the reason she is here. The reason she is in this condition.” I balled up my fist, “I told you that if you ever hurt her I would come after you. I gave her up so that you can have her, because I wronged her. Now you…you did worse than I have. She gave you her heart to protect and you destroyed it. You climbed over a wall that she built so high that no one could get over. Yet you pursued it just to let it crumble to pieces.”

            “What are you saying?”

            “I’m say that you no longer have the rights to protect her.”

            “And you get to make that decision because?”

            “Because of NaEun.” I observe the look in his eyes and it was filled with guilt, “Because you choosen her over MinSeul and destroy MinSeul.”

            “What are you talking about?”

            “I know what you did to her.”           I held it all in for the sake of our friendship, “I also know that you and NaEun have a secret and there is a reason why she came back to find you.” His eyes widen. “Ne I know…and if I know, who do you think also knows.”

            “MinSeul.”

            “I’m warning you for the sake of our friendship, stay away from her. Go and take care of NaEun; I’ll worry about MinSeul.” I went back inside and left him standing there outside the door. MinSeul was on the bed in tears as she covered not letting any sound escape. I went and wrapped my arms around her as she let the tears escaped. “It is okay cry all you want.” As if I said the right words she started to cry drenching my shirt in her sadden tears.

MinSeul Pov

            I laid on the reclined chair as the doctor came and checked on the fetus. Yeonnie and DooJoon was in the room with me. The doctor but some cold gel on my stomach and brought the ultrasound machine closer to me.

            “Ok.” He smiled at me, “Let see how the baby is doing.” As he moved the stick around my stomach I could her something like a heartbeat.

            “Is that me?”

            “Andwe.” The doctor smiles at me, “That is the sound of your baby’s heartbeat.”

            “My baby?” I felt warm inside. I looked at Yeonnie and DooJoon; they both looked as shocked as I was.

            “Ne.” he nods, “Oh…there it is.” The doctor pointed to a small white dot the size of an inch on the screen. “That is your baby. You seem to be about a week in.”

            “Jjinja?” He nod, but I could help but smiles.

            “Min-a.” Yeonnie walked towards me, “Congratulations…I’m so happy for you.” The tears glim in her eyes.

            “Yeonnie-a, are you crying?”

            “I’m just really happy for you that is all.”

            “Would the father like to come have a look?” he looked at DooJoon.

            “I can see it perfectly fine from over here.”  DooJoon smiles.

            “C’mon I know being a new dad isn’t the easiest but you’ll feel better.”

            “Actually he isn’t the father.” I told the doctor, “He is just my friend, the father isn’t here.” I held on tightly to his DooJoon to let him know that I was thankful. He smiled back at me.

           

            I was escorted out of the hospital like a sick person. They wouldn’t let me out of their sight nor did they even care that I was okay.

            “DooJoon-a, let me go I’m okay.”

            “Andweyo, I have to make sure you go home safely.” He didn’t even look at me, “I’m under strict orders to make sure you are escorted home safely.”

            “By whom?”  

            “JungHo Hyung.” I chuckled as we walked to his car.

           

            Did I tell JunHyung? No. Was I ever going to tell him? It did cross my mind but that means I was going to do something that I didn’t want to ever do. When we got to the house my grandparents were inside the house for me.

            “Hal-eomoni, Hal-abeoji.” I was surprise, “You guys aren’t supposed to be back until another week.”

            “We could leave you alone after hearing what happened to you.” My grandma hugged me as my grandfather pat my head.

            “Are you okay honey?” he asked.

            “Ne, abeoji.” I looked at them, “You guys should have stayed with umma and appa until you guys were done. You didn’t have to worry about me.” They looked at each other and then at me, “What is wrong?” My grandma held me hand. “Hal-eomoni.”

            “You’re umma wants you to go back home.”

            “Bwoh?” I turned and look back at Yeonnie and DooJoon. “I can’t go back. I don’t want to go back.” I held tightly to my grandma’s hand, “I don’t want to go hal-eomoni, try to convince them.”

            “They did.” I looked up to see a face that I haven’t since in years, “but you are still coming home.”

            “Abeoji…eomoni.” They were standing in the kitchen doorway.

            “We contacted the hospital that you were admitted to.” My mind went blank, “Is there something you would like to tell us?” said my mother, “Or would you like it to happened the hard way?”

            “Omma!”

            “Tell us!” she looked behind me and spotted DooJoon, “Is he?”

            “Andwe!” I answered, “He isn’t the baby’s father.” My dad looked at DooJoon and I guess her finally recognized who he was.

            “Aren’t you MinSeul’s ex-boyfriend?”

            “Annyeonghasaeyo.” He bowed and greeted my dad. My dad looked dumbfounded.

            “Who is your baby father then?” My mom asked me. I try to avert from looking into my mother’s eyes.

            “You don’t have to worry about that.”

            “I am your mother Park MinSeul; I have the right to be worried.” I scoffed out of amazement.

            “So when exactly did you start being a mother to me?” my words bit her, “All my life all I remember was you and appa going to work leaving me alone with the maids and butlers. After I dated DooJoon was when I finally got attention, because you knew that he and his father were using me to get to you and appa’s precious money. You guys asked me to stalk him and I found out that he was cheating on me.”

            “MinSeul.” My father looked angry.

            “I guess that was the only thing I was thankful for. After I left the city I didn’t hear anything from you guys. The only update I got from you guys were news articles and magazines. So now that I’m all knocked up you guys want to take me home.” I balled up my fist, “So what…so you can send me away?” I looked straight at my father, “Or is it that you don’t want people knowing that you high school daughter got knocked up and the father is nowhere to be seen.”

            “MinSeul!”

            “You know what I’ve said so far is true.” I smirk at them to hide my pain, “You guys aren’t here because you care about me. You guys are here because of your stupid company.” My mother didn’t say a single word nor did my father. My stomach started to hurt a bit. I placed my hand on my abdomen and wince. My mother noticed it and came to my side.

            “MinSeul.” I hit her hand away.

            “Get away from me.” The tears started to come down, “I don’t want help from a person who abandon her child.” Hal-eomoni came to my side and took my hand, while my mother backed away. We went and sat on the couch. My chest hurt so bad I didn’t know what to do. DooJoon walked over and kneel in front of me.

            “Min?” DooJoon looks at me. I just shook my head. Hal-abeoji walks over to my parents.

            “Son, I think it is time you and my daughter to go.” he told my father.

            “Abeoji-.”

            “I do agree with MinSeul that you two were irresponsible for leaving her as a child. I’m surprise that she never hated you guys for it.” He sighed and shook his head, “MinSeul is in no condition to talk to you guy. When I get the chance I’ll talk to her myself.”

            “Appa.” My mother whines

            “Abeoji.”

            “Kaiyo.” He raised his voice a little. I felt my parents both look at me before leaving the house. I felt the tears slip, no matter how hard I tried to keep them in. Hal-eomoni pat my hand.

            “Mianhae.” I got up and went to my room.

Author Pov

            JunHyung wasn’t the same after the incident at the hospital. MinSeul finding out before he was able to tell her wasn’t what he wanted to happen. He didn’t full forgive NaEun but he couldn’t help it.

            “Oppa.” She clings onto him and shows him a small white sneaker, “How is would this look like?”

            “I don’t care.” He shoves her hand away from him, “Just choose whatever you like.” He walks out of the store and sat on a bench.

            “Why are you being like this?” she scoffs and follows him. No answer. “JunHyung.” he turns and looks at her. “You’re also the reason why I did it.”

            “What do you mean I am the reason you did it?”

            “I’m your girlfriend.” She said sternly, “but every time we were close to her you acted like I wasn’t there. I could tell you liked her. I couldn’t have another girl steal you now can I?”

            “NaEun.” He cleared his throat, “Let get this straighten out between us. We ended 5 months ago. The only reason why I even care about you is because of the package. If it wasn’t because of that I wouldn’t care.”

SLAP

            He put one of his hand on his cheek and chuckle. She was balled up her fist. “I want to go home.” She walks towards the car and he follows her.

-----

            MinSeul sat in her room trying hard to calm down after the argument with her parents. DooJoon came into her room and sat on her bed next to her and pats her back.

            “Thanks for everything today.” She said through her cries. He wraps his arm around her and pulls her in closer to him.

            “Min, how come you never told me about your parents.” MinSeul sighs

            “My parents were never there for me when I was younger.” She smriks, “It was the day I met you that they started to pay attention. At first I thought it was a miracle until that one day, when you and-.”

            “Let not talk about that.” DooJoon cuts her off, “It isn’t good for the package.” MinSeul smiles before rubbing her stomach, “I know…I have to keep it hidden until graduation.”

            “Min, why don’t you just tell JunHyung?”

            “If you were in the same situation, what would you do?” He sighs, “She came all the way here for him just to tell him. I’m not going to be the reason why that child is left alone.” She pushed away from him.

            “Ok…you don’t have to tell him but you have to promise me one thing.”

            “What?”

            “You have to stay by my side so that I can protect you when this is all over.”

            “I’ll think about it.” They both chuckled and laughed.

------

            MinSeul woke up in the morning and ran to the bathroom to vomit. She wash the taste from and washed up for school. Her grandmother made her some breakfast on the table. She walked by the dining table and could barely stare at the food.

            “Min, are you not going to eat.”

            “Hal-eomoni, I feel so sick to my stomach I can’t even look at food.”

            “Here,” she handed MinSeul two oranges, “They help calm down the sickness.”

            “Thank you.” She puts it in her backpack and heads for the door, “love you bye-bye.”

            As she walked out the door she saw JunHyung going to his car. He looked up from his car and spotted her on her porch. Their eyes connected, as if they both spoke another language they knew what each other was thinking. The sound of a car broke their focus of each other. DooJoon pulled out in front of the house. DooJoon got out of the car and walked towards her.

            “Min, are you ready?” They both looked at JunHyung.

            “Y-yeah, let’s go.” he took her bag and walked to the car together. JunHyung didn’t stop looking at them for one second; from the porch as they reached the DooJoon’s car. DooJoon open the car door for MinSeul and she slipped in. DooJoon handed her bag to her and closed the door. He took one good look at JunHyung before entering his car and leaving.

            As they reached the school, girls gathered around DooJoon’s car. DooJoon got out and smiles without looking at the girls. MinSeul opens the car door and all the girls are surprised. DooJoon closes the door and grabs her backpack. He puts his arm around MinSeul and she jumps a little before he led her away.

            “Oh my goodness.” Said a couple of girls

            “No way.” Says another

            “Who does she think she is?”

            “DooJoon.” She whispers, “People are staring at us.” He chuckles a little bit.

            “Just act like we were back then.” He pulls her in closer and they walked to class. 

            “DooJoon stop.” She removes his arm from her waist, “we aren’t a couple.”

            “How do you expect me to keep you safe?” she pushes him away a little to keep some space in between them.

            “This way.” She grabs her bag, “See you in class.”

            As she enter the room the news of her and DooJoon walking into the school together had already spread like wild fire. She was getting glares and looks from all the girl. She ignores them and went and sat down in her seat. JunHyung appear not too longer afterwards. He looks at MinSeul before walking to his seat.

            “So…how are you doing?”

            “Good.” She nods her head, “How are you doing?”

            “Same…MinSeul, sorry I didn’t get to visit you at the hospital.”

            “It’s okay you’re probably busy with NaEun, I understand.”

            “I’ve been meaning to talk to you about that.” He signals her to follow him somewhere and she does already knowing what is going to happen. They walk to the back of the school. He was going to say something but MinSeul beats him to it.

            “I already know.” MinSeul smiles, “I’m happy for you and NaEun. Don’t let me get in the way of that.”

            “Min that is just it,” He tries to hold her hand, “I’m not happy.” She moves her hand. “I don’t even know if…”

            “If what?”

            “If it is mine.”

            “And if it is yours?” he didn’t say anything, “Are you going to drag me into this until the she gives birth to find out the child is yours. I-I can’t do that JunHyung. I’m not going to let you abandon your child because of me.”

            “Min…I want to be with you. NaEun wasn’t supposed to follow me here.”

            “NaEun is you baby’s mother. If it is or isn’t yours that doesn’t matter to me. I’m not going to wait another 4 or 5 months and wait to find out that it is. Pretty soon NaEun is going to start showing and she is going to need you there with her.”

            “Min.”

            “I’m sorry JunHyung.” she walks past him back towards the door.

            “If you are going to leave me, I have one request.”

            “What is it?”  

            “You have to stay with DooJoon.”

            “What are you saying?” She looks back at him.

            “If I was to pick anyone in this world so that you wouldn’t suffer I choose hyung. Hyung still loves you and he would protect you if you give him a chance.” MinSeul bit her lip, “Please for me.”

            “I’ll give it some thought.” MinSeul went to the front door and was greeted by familiar suits.

            “Ms. Park, your parents want to speak with you.” MinSeul knew she wouldn’t get past the two guards. She looked past them and saw a black Mercedes waiting at the entrance.