When Daylight Turns to Night

A Forgotten Silhouette

            Everyone sat around the bonfire smiling and laughing. KiKwang look around and notice that Junhyung wasn’t around. HyunSeung pointed in a direction. JunHyung was walking on the beach staring at the dark blue sky.

            “How has he been so far today?” KiKwang asked

            “He has been down in the dumps.” HyunSeung sighs, “I guess he was really expecting MinSeul to come today.”

            “He’ll be better tomorrow.” KiKwang pokes at the flames with a long stick.

            “MinSeul should be okay right?” the maknae asked, “I get it, those fan girls can be quiet scary.”

            “I don’t know,” Kikwang said, “MinSeul is tough, but after losing…” He thought about MinSeul’s tears after losing HaNeul, “She became weak.”

            “What should we do?”

            “Act like that nothing is wrong.” JunHyung walked up behind them, “Oh hyung.”

            “I’m going to head in for the night.”

            “We haven’t even been out that long. Stay out a while longer.”

            “Aniyo, there isn’t any point for me to stay here.” He pats KiKwang’s shoulder and leaves.

            As he walked to the cabin it reminded him of his first time actually hanging out with MinSeul. The way she smile and enjoy the world like nothing matter. At the same time the way she felt and cried for DooJoon when they walked around.

            JunHyung walks into his cabin slowly. When he reached his bed he laid down. He felt his pocket and pulled out a ring. He held it up. It was the same ring from high school. “Why do you always have to be chased?” he cover his eyes with his arm.

           

            JunHyung was in charge of building the fire the next day. He walks away and gathers wood with Gayoon. EunJi follows him also along with HyungSeung. Everyone was being crazy jumping into the cold lake and all the boys trying talking to the girls and rookie being shy.

            “Alright.” Said B2ST’s manager, “Today we start our training.” Everyone whines, “Stop it.” Everyone quiets down. JunHyung just sits and does nothing, “We have to see how well your teamwork has gotten.” He looks around, “To be fair every team has to consist of two boys and two girls.”

            JunHyung, DooJoon, EunJi, and Gayoon were a team. Every team had to carry their canoe and the paddles all the way to the lake and then get the flag that was across the lake. JunHyung looked at the girls and just scoffed after hearing the rules.

            “What was with that?” EunJi sounded offended

            “What?” JunHyung asked jokingly

            “That scoff just now.” she crossed her arms and walks towards him, “You think that none of us can do anything?”

            “Aniyo.” He smirks, “I just don’t want you pretty girls hurting yourselves.” He sighs, “Because I don’t want to be the ones carrying you back.”

            “Don’t worry sunbae-nim, we got ourselves.” The girls walks to grab their lifejackets.

            “Jun,” DooJoon pulls his arm, “What is with the attitude?” He looks up at DooJoon.

            “Nothing.” He goes and grabs his own life jacket. He sees EunJi talking to NaEun and the rest of the girls. He felt guilty at what he said earlier.

            Everyone had their lifejacket and running gear on. Everyone began to gather next to their canoes and the paddles. The managers walk towards the idols, making sure everyone was ready.

            “The only objective is to get the flag on the dock.” Everyone looked worried, “Now it is going to take about half the day to get there so I expect you guys to gear up for the challenge. I expect everyone here before sundown. There will be blue markers at every spot to make sure you are going in the right direction.”

           

            Everyone grabs their canoe and carries it on top of their heads. It was DooJoon, Gayoon, EunJi and then JunHyung at the back. At the sound of the whistle everyone headed towards the lake. The girls let go of the canoe and the boys let it down slowly at the shore. Both the guys hold on to either side of the boat so the girls can get in. Gayoon got in first and sat towards the front.

            “EunJi, palli.” Gayoon gesture her to quickly get in. She puts one feet in but the water that soaked her shoe made her go off balance.

            “Ahh.” JunHyung grabs her arm helping her gain her balance. She looks at him and jerks her arm back, “I didn’t need your help.” She gets in again and sits down. DooJoon got in and sat in front of Gayoon. JunHyung gave one push before hopping to the back. Everyone began to row the canoe to the other side of the dock. The boat was going in a circle.

            “We’re getting nowhere.” Gayoon go frustrated.

            “Everyone follow my lead.” DooJoon shouted, “Right, left, right, left.” Pretty soon they started moving. The other teams were already ahead. “If we try a little harder we can get there.” When they got to the other side they carried the canoe over their head again. Everyone continued to go through the woods when they saw the markers they knew they were going in the correct direction.

            Gayoon trips on her shoelace making Eunji trip and fall also.

            “EunJi-a!”

            “Gayoon!”

-------

            MinSeul walks into the camp with carrying her duffle bag on her side. The camp was empty except with all the managers walking around preparing for something. Minseul sees B2ST manager and walks over to him.

            “Manager-ssi.” He turns around and sees MinSeul.

            “Hello MinSeul-ssi.” He looked a little surprise, “What are you doing here?”

            “Ummm…I was actually supposed to come here with you guys but I had something come up the last minute.” She looks around, “Where is everyone? The place look so empty.”

            “Oh, everyone is on a team mission right now. They all should be back by this evening.” She nods, “If you want to we can show you to JunHyung’s cabin.”

            “Aniyo…do you guys have any extra cabins?” the managers look at each other, “If you don’t have any it okay.” She places her bag on the bench,

            “Aniyo we do,” said one of the female workers, “but it isn’t as up to date as the others.”

            “It okay anything is fine.” She smiles, “That will do just fine.”

--------

            DooJoon helps Gayoon after tying her shoelace for her. “Are you okay?” she nods and wipes the dirt off her pants, “C’mon we can’t get anywhere with you two like this.” JunHyung tries to help Eunji but she falls over again in pain.

            “Gweanhchah-a?” he asked her

            “I don’t know.” He took a look at her ankle, “Is it okay?”

            “You’re fine, but I think we should sit out for a little bit before going.” EunJi looks at him, “Her ankle is a little swollen.”

            “I think we should turn back.” said Gayoon, “We aren’t that far away from the site.”

            “Aniyo.” EunJi, “We should continue. I said that I wouldn’t be a burden to the team.” She slowly gets up and walks, “If we take it slowly we can make it.”

            “Arraso,” said JunHyung, “But you aren’t carrying the boat. Walk ahead of everyone keep everyone in the right direction.” He picks up a long rod and gives it to her, “Use this as your support.” EunJi takes the stick.

-----

            It was getting late into the day and everyone began returning from the dock near the campsite with their flags. MinSeul was in the kitchen helping the managers cook dinner and setting up.  

            “Hyung nim,” MinSeul recognize that voice from anywhere, “We’re hungry.” DongWoon walked to his manager.

            “Food will be ready in a little bit. Go wash up.” The manager shoves DongWoon towards the door. MinSeul was a little disappointed that she didn’t get to greet them.

            “MinSeul-ssi,” said one of the staff, “You don’t have to be here, and you can go and say hi to them.”

            “It is okay.” MinSeul smiles, “I’ll get to see them later.” MinSeul continuing with the cooking. One of the workers came to her.

            “You’re making seaweed soup?”

            “Ne, this will give everyone some strength. After all that work this is what they’ll all need.”

           

            The four guys gathered and notice that someone was missing. DooJoon and JunHyung had not returned yet and the sun was already setting. They ran to the manager.

            “Hyung.” They all were a little freaked out, “DooJoon and JunHyung hasn’t returned yet.” KiKwang was out of breath from running, “it is getting pretty dark soon.” The manager looked at his watch and notice that it was getting pretty late.

            “We’ll get everyone out to look for them if they don’t show up in the next 20 minutes or so.” MinSeul walks out of the kitchen after hearing all the commotion.

            “What is going on out here?”

            “Noona.” DongWoon jumped a little, “Noona you’re here.” She looks up at him.

            “Why do you guys all look so worried?”

            “Ummm…” Yoseob didn’t know how to put it in words.

            “It isn’t anything to worry about.” Said the manager, “We got it.”

            “Manager-nim,” she walks towards the manager, “Did something happen? The guys aren’t usually like this if nothing is wrong.”

            “DooJoon and the others haven’t returned.” He sighs, “Everyone is supposed to be back in time for dinner.” He placed his hands on his belt, “Everyone just go and I’ll let you guys know when they get back.”

            “No, I’m not waiting here. I am going to go looking for them.” MinSeul walk right through them and heads to her cabin to grab her things. She grabs a flashlight and her survival kit and hops onto one of the canoe.

            “MinSeul.” DongWoon ran towards her and hop into the canoe with her, “I’m coming with you.” They grabbed an oar and paddle. Everyone gets on shore but doesn’t catch them.

           

            “How long before we get to the dock?” she asked

            “It took us about thirty minutes.” He sighs, “How are you still continuing this?”

            “You don’t have to do this if you don’t want to.” She continues to paddle, “But I’m going to find him.”

            “Min it isn’t like he is hurt or anything.”

            “I know…but I’m just worried.”

------

            Everyone gather around the starting area with flashlight and their phones. They gather in smaller groups and walked the route of the race. No one found anything, nothing to even tell if they were hurt or not. It was getting darker by the minute and still there was no sign of anyone. Every returned to the campsite and hopes that the group would have returned by then.

 

            “Hyung!” Yeosob ran as he saw a canoe entering the docks. Everyone follow suit and ran with him. Doojoon and the others finally made it back. Yoseob hugs his brothers with such relief. “What happened to you guys?”

            “Eunji slipped and fell.” Said Doojoon. Eunji had her arm over JunHyung’s shoulder as she slips out of the boat.

            “Is she okay?”

            “Yeah, she just sprang her ankle. Nothing too bad.” Eunji took a step and fell right down onto the sand.

            “Ouch.” JunHyung squat down next to her.

            “Has it gotten worse?”

            “I don't know.” JunHyung carries her bridal style towards the cafeteria. “Don't carry me like this. Everyone going to think something is going on between the both of us.”

            “Or you can just let me carry you so that they don't think that I am a jerk.” Everyone disperse from the area as Apink and the managers follow JunHyung to the base of the camp. KiKwang stood at the dock still looking out. DooJoon notices he had a worried look on his face.

            “KiKwang,” KiKwang turns around, “Is something the matter?”

            “MinSeul arrived here earlier today.” Doojoon looked surprise but KiKwang’s facial expression said otherwise.

            “Did something happen?” KiKwang sighs and avoided looking at Doojoon.

            “It was getting late, everyone had already begun to return; but you guys were nowhere to be seen. So we went and told manager-hyung that you and the rest hadn't return. He told us to wait but MinSeul overheard the conversation and set off to look for you guys. Dongwoon left with her too. We were hoping that she found you guys.”

            “How long have they been gone?”

            “An hour or so.” KiKwang sighs, “The guys and I were planning to head out and search if they don't return by 9:00.” Doojoon looks at him.

            “We go now.”

 

            JunHyung was washing up in the bathroom. He had little scratches here and there but nothing too serious.  He sighs as he looks at himself before leaving back to his cabin. He walked to his room and laid right onto his bed and stared at the ceiling. He doesn't even notice the silence that linger in the air.  For some reason his heart felt uneasy. He get up, puts on his jacket and takes a walk. He ended up walking towards a smaller cabin near their cabin.

            “How the heck did I end up here?” He observes the cabin. It was small and looks like it could have fitted two people. Not very modernized. He peeked through the window and notice a teal color duffle bag laid on top of one of the bed.

            “JunHyung!” NaEun runs over to him, “What are you doing over here?” he looked from her to the cabin.

            “Do you know who is staying here?” she looks at the cabin

            “I think I heard that one of the female cooks was staying here.” He nods, “What are you doing here?”

            “I…I was looking for DongWoon.” She blushes, “Why are you here?”

            “I just got done washing up.  I was heading to the cafeteria and ended up here.” He looks at her, “Want to join me?” she nods, “How is EunJi?” they walked towards the cafeteria.

            “She fine. Her ankle is starting to bruise but she should be okay.” she kept looking around.

            “What is the matter with you?” she shakes her head, “So what is this thing between you and DongWoon?”

            “Nothing.”

            “Really now?” he smirks at her, “It okay if you like the maknae…it common nowadays anyways.” She just smiles.

            “Are you okay with that?”

            “Why would I not be?” he smiles, “Just don’t do what you did to me to him.” They got in line and waited for their food. JunHyung notice a familiar scent as he waited in line, but he didn’t notice s were nowhere to be seen.

-----

            MinSeul got out of the canoe as soon as they got to the dock. Dongwoon pulls the canoe to shore. She trips and falls onto the dock.

            “MinSeul noona.” DongWoon went and helped her, “Gweanchah-a?

            “I’m fine. We have to find them.” She gets up and runs into the wooded area DongWoon on her trail. They found nothing. MinSeul notice footprints. She get down and observes them, she saw two pair of footprints that falls of that trail because of the slide in the mud.

            “What is it?” ask DongWon,

            “Two people fell off the trail. By the looks of it one of them might have injury themselves, not too bad though.” She stood up, “It most likely is one of the girls.”

            “How do you know that?”    

            “The foot prints are a lot smaller than the other two prints.” She points ahead, “if you look closely you notice the change in the footprints, someone was limping. C’mon let follow the prints.” DongWoon was speechless.

----

            JunHyung sat next to EunJi and APink. EunJi took a glance at him and continue to eat. “How is your feet?”

            “It doing better. I have to stay on crutches for a month or so.” He nods, Hyuna runs over.

            “Jun have you seen HyunSeung?”

            “Aniyo…is something the matter?”

            “We agree to meet up for dinner and he didn’t show. None of the other guys are here either.”

            “What?” he stood up and looked around and finally notices it.

-----

            MinSeul walks the path that seem like forever screaming for JunHyung. DongWoon behind her.

            “Noona, they might have left already.” DongWoon held her arm, “Let’s go back.” She hesitated before returning. They return together, MinSeul almost barely being able to walk and with tons of scratches on her legs from the branches and leaves. “Gwaenchah-a?”

            “I got it.” They slowly walked towards the docks. They bump right into the members. “DooJoon-.” He goes and hugs her surprising everyone, “Oppa.”

            “Babo.” He look at her, “you can be so stupid at times.” She smiles, “Kaija.” They all head back to the dock. MinSeul limped a little. DooJoon took notice and saw her legs had cuts on them. He bends down in front of her.

            “Bwoh?”

            “Get on my back.”

            “I’m fine.”

            “Palli.” MinSeul looks at the other guys before she places her arms around his neck. They all went to the canoes. She fell asleep on his back. He slowly places her in the canoe as the guys row the boat back.

            ------

            JunHyung outside waiting for his friends. EunJi joined him. “Why are you out here so late?”

            “My manager said that DongWoon went looking for us so the guys went to go look for him.” He sighs, “I’m just waiting for them. Why are you out so late?”

            “I never got a chance to say thank you.”

            “Don’t sweat it.”

            “JunHyung.”

            “Hmm?”

            “I heard about your engagement.” He looks at her and she seem kind of sad, “Congratulations.”

            “Thanks…you don’t seem too happy about it though.” She sighs and rubs her hand together.

            “It is that obvious, huh?” she smirks, “Truth is I found out about it not too long ago. A lot of the girls even the rookies were pretty upset about it. We get that is was arrange but not everyone agree it is the best way...seriously it is the 21st century.”

            “Why are you upset?”

            “Because…well,” she sighs and looks at him. She pecks him on the lips. He backs away, “I like you.” He gets up and moves away from her.

            “I’m sorry EunJi.” He leaves her alone on the bench. JunHyung had so many things going on in his mind. He sat on his cot thanking the Lord that MinSeul wasn’t at camp.

           

            DooJoon walks with MinSeul to her cabin. She was still half daze and barely awake. He chuckles because her eyes were barely open.

            “Thanks Oppa.” She said when they got to her cabin, “You didn’t have to walk me here.”

            “It is okay.” He smirks, “You didn’t look like you were in your right mind. Don’t do that next time alright.”

            “Arraso. Good thing you guys are safe though.” She smiles, “Well I’m going to head in for the night. Please don’t let him know that I am here.” He nods and she goes in to her cabin and lays down in her bed.

 

            JunHyung was already in bed when the guys came back, but he wasn’t asleep. He didn’t even ask the guys where they went. He just stay still.

           

            The next morning EunJi waited for JunHyung at the big hall where everyone was supposed to meet. JunHyung wore sunglasses to hide his bag. When she saw him she went to him.

            “JunHyung.” he looks up right quick and continues to walk, “JunHyung-oppa.” He stops and she limps over to him, “I’m sorry about yesterday.”

            “It past us.” He continues walking,

            MinSeul saw JunHyung from afar and wanted to surprise him. She left him some goodies on his bed and gave him some food throughout the day. He assume it was EunJi, because she continuously appear throughout the day.

            At the end of the day MinSeul left a note on his bed asking him to meet her at the old cabin by the bathroom (Her cabin). He wanted to make it clear that he didn’t like her. He walks over to the cabin slowly. He waits for her with his back facing the cabin. It was getting late and she still wasn’t there.

            He hears the door behind him opens and suddenly a pair of arms wraps around him and he felt her head on his back. He looks down and sighs.

            “I know what you’re thinking…but we can’t be together.” The arms started to loosen, “I can’t accept your feeling. I have someone else in my heart, I appreciate your courage but let end it here.” She lifted her head and removes her arms, “Let act like this never happened.” He heard foot steps back into the cabin and the door closed. He turn back and walks away.