Chapter 38

I Am A Man

“Junhyung, this is Seungho, He is Ji Eun’s cousin. And Seungho this is Junhyung, my… ”

“Boyfriend” Junhyung cut you.

“I know, you’re a boy and you’re her friend, right?” you chuckled as Seungho said that. But you stopped immediately because Junhyung already glared at you.

“..ehm, he’s different, Seungho, Junhyung is my best-boy-friend” you said, made Seungho confused. “He’s my bestfriend” you said, and he nodded his head. There’s an awkward silent after you got them introduced to each other.

“Ehmm…I think I have to go now, see you ____, Junhyung, nice to meet you” Seungho said, but Junhyung remained silent.

“I’ll walk you to the door” he nodded.

***

“Put them down” you said as you put your self beside him who already has his back leaned on the couch, folding his hand, feet on the table and eyes closed. Being ignored by him, you imitated his move, you opened your left eye, tried to peek at him, he didn’t bother.

“I don’t like him” he said simply.

“Hhmm…as always” you could feel a death glare from the boy beside you. He always acted like that everytime you had another guy friend, but Doojoon. It’s probably because he’s his friend or might be he was busy dating at that time, you don’t know, but you love it when your bestfriend acted like that. “What?” you said as you opened your eyes and finding him stared at you, asking for an explanation.“He’s Ji Eun’ cousin. We picked him up from the airport today, he..”

“What?? Today? You just met him today and you already took him home?” he yelled as he turned his body at you.

“Don’t yell, Junhyung-ah. I still can hear you” you yelled back.

“Yah, don’t yell at me!”

“it’s because you yelled first” you yelled again. Then an awkward moment came between you two. “He drove me home, so I offered a cup of hot chocolate as a thank you” you explained.

“we don’t have intention to be whatever you were thinking, at least I don’t. I’m tired of all this…..love things” you said, as you could see what’s on his mind. Didn’t know why you explained that to him, but you felt like you have to.. His gaze soften and you closed your eyes again. You felt something changing between you and him. You couldn’t see your bestfriend as the same bestfriend like back then after that conffession night. The night he realized that his heart belonged to you when you had took yours from him and put it on someone else’s. You knew it wouldn’t be fair for him, but you didn’t want to lose your bestfriend, he’s the only place you could lean on. His eyes were busy searching for something else but you.

“what’s wrong with you? ayee…are you jealous? Hmm?” you said playfully as you tugged his shirt to break the ice between you and him.

“No, I don’t have a right to be jealous,” he said coldly after remained quiet for a while.

“hmm?” you wondered, didn’t catch what he tried to say.

“Forget it, I’m just your best-boy-friend” he said sarcastically.

“Oh..come on, Junhyung-ah…” you elbowed his arm slightly.

“Yah..stop it, go make me coffee!” he commanded, pushing you away, you could see him blushing a little, made you chuckled.

“Whoo…Yong Junhyung blushing? Whooo” you again, made him more blushing.

“Goo make it for me! It’s a command!”

“Okay, sir! Please wait” you bowed like a proffesional waitrees and left. Junhyung smiled silently as you left.

***

You were making coffee for him when he walked to the kitchen. He sat at the bar table. “yah, haven’t I told you to wait?”

“I’m not a kind of guy who will wait.” You could tell he’s smirking behind you.

“Believe me there will be a time you’ll wait till it’s coming,” you said.

*But for you I’ll wait till it’s coming again, the love once you felt for me* he said but never mentioned it. He just shrugged his shoulders.

“We’ll see then. When did you arrived, anyway? Aren’t you and the boys supposed to be in Japan now?”

“An hour ago. The schedules ended early, so we decided to come back early..” he said, you only nodded your head. Without you realized, in your deepest heart, you just wanted to know wether he has came back or not. Junhyung’s answer made you happy, knowing he has came back home. You’re spacing out again, and he noticed it.

“Wae? Do you want to know about him?” he said in a calm voice but it sounded so annoying in your ears. “He still in Japan, he have some schedule with some magazines for photo shoot and interview with G…”

“Stop…” you commanded

“Wae? Still not over him?” it sounded more like a conclusion than a question.“I know you miss him, you want to know how he’s doing, haven’t he eat or yet, haven’t he…”

“No! I don’t even…care” you yelled this time. Didn’t know why, part of you were angry hearing what he said were true. “What’s wrong with you tonight? Don’t start it!”

“Just run, run away like you always do” he blurted out. “When will you stop lying to your self? telling you’re fine, you don’t care, you don’t miss him, you can lie to me, but you can’t lie to your self” he said as he walked toward you.

“you said you can accept the truth, but the truth is, you can’t ____-ah” he blurted out, seemed like he let out everythin what’s on his heart. “You can’t accept the thruth he have someone else,” you could feel your eyes got teary. He’s right, you have no idea how you wished that this all were just a bad dream, truth told you he dating another girl, but your heart still believe he loves you. No matter how many times you told your heart the truth and asked it to let him go, it always came to an failure. The memories of him won’t leave you alone.

he pin you between his arms against the counter. He stared deeply at your eyes. You could see pain and love in his eyes. “It’s hurting to see you fragile like this _____-ah,” he cupped your face, “I miss you, the old you…”

*I miss the old you…who loves me* he said in his heart, didn’t dare to say it to you in this kind of situation. The only thing he did was staring at your eyes, wished that you knew what’s on his heart. it hurts to see someone we love happy with someone else, but it’s more hurting to see someone we love being hurt because someone s/he loves. “I get to go. Go, sleep” he said, broke the stare. He kissed your forehead before ruffling your hair, and heading to the door. Junhyung left you alone with a great big crash on your heart. His words, hit you right on the spot.

“Because, I love you”

“be happy, can you?”

 “..if you’re not happy, I’ll take you back”

Junhyung’s words that time repeated on your brain. His butterflies on your stomach seemed like stretching.

***

Since that night, he haven’t call or text you. it made you felt bad. You hate it when you had to argue with him. You decided to visit him.

You were arrived at the building you avoided the most. Cube Ent. Building. It felt so heavy for you to step in. Your heart beat so fast, afraid you’ll see him, you walls you’ve built might be crumbled down but you have to see your bestfriend. You were about to get inside when someone patted your shoulder from behind.

“____ah?”

“Ahh..hello, hyung” you bowed

“Yah! How could you call me hyung?”

“Ahaha, Junhyung told me to call you so”

“Aish..that kid.” You chuckled “What are you doing here? Do you want to meet Doojoon?” he blurted out, but he you could tell his face expression changed like he realized something.

“Ani..i’m looking for Junhyung”

“Ahh…he’s in the studio I guessed”

“O-okay, I think I’ll meet him now, see you oppa” you bowed slightly and smiled.

“____-ah, wait” he stopped you.

“What’s wrong, oppa?”

“Listen, ____-ah,” he said almost whispered “I really wanted to tell you this so long ago, but…”

“Hyung!” someone called him.

“Aish…failed!” Joonkuni oppa made a distance. ”What are you doing here Doojoon? Aren’t you supposed to practice now?”

“And what are you doing here Hyung?” he took a glance at you.

“Hello, Doojoon-ah” you bowed slightly and smiled. It’s hard but you have promised you’ll act like you were yesterday, before something called love came and everything’s happened.

“___-ah” he bowed slightly. Acting like a stranger is painful.

“Oppa, I have to go, see you, see you Doojoon” you bowed and left.

***

You opened the studio door slowly. You could see your bestfriend were busy arranging and writing. He had headphone in his head, eyes closed and nodded his head and humming something. You didn’t want to bother him, so you sneaked in and seat on the couch behind him. Seeing him drowning in his world is your favorite. Slowly you closed your eyes and joined him in his world.

***

The memories of you were played on his mind as he hummed his on-writing song. Suddenly he felt like someone entered the room, thought that it probably Taejoo so he ignored it. But he felt something weird since no sign of Taejoo’s present. He turned around to check who it was. He surprised as he knew who sat at the couch behind him.

“Yah! Since when you were here?” You jolted in surprised and opened your eyes. You only gave him an innocent smile. “You freak me out!”

“You’re so into your world so you didn’t notice me” you chuckled. But he only stared at you.

*There’s no space left without you in my world* he talked to his mind. You walked closer and took a seat beside him.

“Junhyung..” you called his name as you stared at the many buttons in front of you, he turned his head at you, waiting what would you say,. “You’re right. I still can’t accept it” you kept your eyes laid on the buttons in front of you “I still can’t accept the truth, it’s kind a….hard, you know, it needed a time” you took a glance of him who kept his eyes straight before laid your eyes on the ground.

 “…and sorry if I’m hurting..you. Never thought, never thought that I’d hurt you…just, like what you said, you hurt to see me like..this” you said in a lower voice, shy to said that to him.

“it hurts to see someone we love happy with someone else, but it’s more hurting to see someone we love being hurt because someone s/he loves” he said, made you surprised, you didn’t know which love he talked about. “Yah! don’t look at me like that, i mean i didn’t want to have a weak friend like you now” he said, lying but he couldn’t hide the fact that he blushed, you put your eyes on somewhere hurriedly. His butterflies on your stomach stretched once again. You rubbed your stomach gently, hope they would back to sleep. Though it’s not a secret no more, he knew you had a crush on him for ages and you knew he loves you though it’s late because you love someone else, both of you never brought this topic up since that night, so it’s a little bit awkward to talked about this thing with him. “Just be happy, take your time” he said almost whispered. An awkward silent came after that.

“Let’s go out Junhyung-ah”

"Mwo? a, you asking me for a date?” his eyes widen.

“Yah…let’s have our bonding day back!” you said as you poke his head slightly.

“Arghh…it hurts!" he rubbed his head "Your treat? Okay, your treat” he said

“Mwo?…you earned more money than me, you should spend your money on me” you said

“Yaa…what a kind of girl are you asking a guy to spend money on you?”

“But a guy should spend money on girls, c’mon spend your money on me, oppa” you said with an aegyo.

“Ahh…stop it! My eyes, oh, my eyes hurt” he yelled as he covered his eyes with his hands, both of you laughed.

***

That day you spent to accompany him arranging his new song in the studio.

“today you’re not allowed to go anywhere, you have to accompany me”

“what?”

“It’s your punishment, you’ve made me miss my old-bestfriend much” you gave him an ok-sign “..but you have to spend your money on me” you said made him burst in laugh.

You were joking with Junhyung, you were in the middle imitating his rapping-style when someone no, some boys to be exact, opened the door and calling out your name loudly.

“___-ah!” they said in unison.

“Oppa!” Yoseob came to you and the rest of the boys followed him.

“Yah! Stay away from her” Junhyung blocked Yoseob as he wanted to hug you.

“You stay away!” you pushed Junhyung away slightly as you hugged Yoseob.

“it’s happy to see you again ____-ah” Kikwang said.

“Nae, oppa, I’m happy to see you too”

“Whoaa..since when you called him oppa??” Dongwoon asked.

“It’s a secret between us two” Kikwang winked at you and you replied him.

“Your rapping is good ____-ah” Hyunseung said.

“Ahaha, I’m better than you and Kikwang oppa, at least” you teased.

“Yah, I’m better than him” kikwang said.

“No, I’m better” hyunseung didn’t want to lose, made everyone laughed.

You were happy to see them all again. But he just stood there, leaned on the door and staring at you and the boys. His eyes made your eyes locked on them, till Taejoo get inside.

“You’re all here? Whoaa, ____-ah too? It’s been so long time no see you, let’s rapp like the last time” he said and hugged you.

“All for you, oppa” you said as you hugged him.

“Doojoon, what are you doing there? come here! i have something for you all” he announced as he inserted as disk “____-ah, you’re lucky, you’ll be the first who watch this.” He smirked at Doojoon who has joined you and the boys.

Taejoo clicked the “Play” button.

You could feel your heart stopped beating as you saw at the screen.