chapter 52

Sheer Arrogance

He placed his glass of liquor down on the counter of the bar, not retracting his arm from the girl's shoulder, he scoffed. 

"And why the who I listen to you?"

Seohyun wanted to slap him awake right there and pull his arm off that 's shoulder right there and then; but she knew that she had no right to do so. Taking a step back, she raised an eyebrow and looked into his eyes.

"Come out with me now, Joonmyun wants you home by 10."

"I said I'm not going, are you deaf?" 

Seohyun had to step even further away and take deep breaths just to control herself from slapping him again. 

"His cockiness," She whispered to herself as she rolled her eyes. 

"Ya, hyung. Just go home, I think you had enough for tonight." A guy sat away from him a few seats with his own group of friends back shouted. "Besides, don't let a pretty girl wait for you, hyung." He added making Seohyun uncomfortable as she cleared . 

"Pretty? If she's all that pretty you can have her, I don't need her ing around in my life anymore." He firmly stated, chugging down the remaining of his wine. 

Seohyun surprisingly didn't feel that little pang of pain, instead anger was slowly rising up .

"Byun Baekhyun, you don't know your limits, do you?" 

"Well you didn't too, did you! ing around with my feelings, getting pregnant and getting married? What's next? You becoming a e?" He shouted, flinging the glass at her. 

Another of his friend rushed out and pulled him back. "Hey hey, I've got Yoongi to go get the janitor to clean this up, do you want me to get you home?" 

Baekhyun shook his head, "Get that prick home if you want to, I'm not leaving." 

The guy then slowly nodded, awkwardly moving towards Seohyun. "So.. Do you need a ride home?"

"It's okay, I can get home myself—" "Do you have an umbrella?" "Why—" "Well, I'm pretty sure you'll need one because it's raining out there right now."

She paused a moment, looked at Baekhyun as he resumed to his drinking with the rest of his friends and sighed.

"So.. Is the ride home still possible?" Seohyun asked. 

"Sure thing, just let me just get my keys." The guy shot her a sweet smile before going back to the seat he occupied and getting his phone and keys, "Let's go!" He chirped as he leaded the way out.

Seohyun quickly snuck a 10 000won bill to the janitor who was cleaning up the mess and quickly whispered an apology, following the guy out.

Her eyes widened at both the red Lamborghini and how heavy the rain was. He opened the door for her and she bowed in thanks as she quickly went into the car, not forgetting to put on her seatbelt. 

"Nice car."

"Thanks." He chuckled, starting the engine as he put on his seatbelt.

"My name's Kim Seokjin, but you can call me Jin. What's yours?"

"Jung Seohyun."

Jin slowly nodded with a smile, "I knew Baekhyun when he started going to that nightclub. My friends and I go there often, and we always see him."

Seohyun kept silent, realising that Baekhyun drank to try and hide the pain that she inflicted on him.

"Baekhyun was my ex. I hurt him a lot becasue I was stupid back then. I may still be stupid now, but I'm determined to win him back again." 

Jin smiled, knowing that this girl was willing to risk it all to win the hot-headed Byun Baekhyun back to her.

"Baekhyun wasn't like this in the past, was he?" Jin asked, stopping at a red light junction. Seohyun nodded, "He used to be a sweet and caring person, uuntil I ruined him."

"Hey, it's going to be alright, trust me." He smiled, after looking at you, his attention went back to the road. "I'm pretty sure my friends are dragging him home right now so don't worry too much. You can go see him tomorrow morning, yeah?" He reassured her as he drived off again. 

 

She knocked on the door a few times after attempting to press the doorbell to get Baekhyun to open the door for her. Sighing, she remembered that Baekhyun put a spare key outside the house, under a flower pot on the porch. Retrieving it, she pushed open the door. A musty smell swept across a face, forcing her to cringe her nose. He must've really kept his house this untidy after it went all bat crazy. 

"Baekhyun? Byun Baekhyun?" Seohyun called out, coughing from the dust of the furniture. 

She shook her head, "I guess it's time for some spring cleaning? Again." 

She started cleaning up all the scattered magazines, newspapers on the coffee table, stacking them up and putting them under it instead. She quickly got rid of the beer cans and wine bottles thrown all over the couch and table, wiping the table after that. She vaccummed the floor and mopped it, trying to clean up and get out as quickly as possible without Baekhyun knowing that she came. She was in the midst of washing the dishes left unattended at the sink when she heard footsteps.

"What do you think you're doing?"

She froze, putting the dish down and turning off the tap. Seohyun spun around and saw Baekhyun, with his usual messy bed hair. 

"Who let you in here?!" He grabbed her forearm and harshly asked.

"L-Let go! It hurts!" 

Baekhyun ran a hair through his tousled metallic brown hair, scoffing. He his lips and walked into the kitchen to pour himself a glass of iced water. Seohyun stood there awkwardly, "I remembered you had a spare key under the flower pot, so I came in." "And? You came in to what? To see what I've become after you trashed me up and lived happily ever after? What the is wrong with you?" Baekhyun asked, slamming the glass down onto the marble counter. "You can't live like this, please. Don't be ruined like this—" "Enough, just get out." "But Baek—" "I said get out!" 

"Leave me alone like you always did."

Seohyun couldn't think of anything to argue back with, so she kept quiet. "If you need anything from me, just ring me up." She said before turning around bitterly, leaving.

His heart didn't want her to leave, but his mind did. He wanted so badly to hold her back and stop her from leaving but he didn't have the guts to do it.

Seohyun shut the door behind her and sighed, turning around she saw the familiar face of the guy that drove her home yesterday.

"Jin?" "Seohyun!" They said at the same time, then burst out laughing. 

"What are you doing here?" Jin asked, trying to juggle the brown paper bags of groceries on his arms. "I wanted to help him clean up a little but.. yeah you probably know how it ended." She scratched her nape and tried to conceal the embarassment. "He's just like this. Give me a minute, I'll drop these groceries and be back in a sec." He chuckled, walking forward and pushing the door open, crinkling his nose as well.

"Hey hey Byun! What's with all these trash lying around? You better clean up! I have to go now, I'll drop by tomorrow." Seohyun heard Jin nagging at Baekhyun and imagined Baekhyun's irritated face, shooing him away. "Oh and remember to keep the groceries I bought! Bye Byun!" Jin reminded and stepped out again, flashing a grin at Seohyun, pretending that nothing big happened. 

"So.. Do you want to go for coffee?" Jin asked awkwardly, forcing out a chuckle.

"Sure, I guess. I'm free anyway." Seohyun said with a smile.

The duo strolled casually to the streets that lead to Hongdae, silence engulfing them because they ran out of topics to talk about. Jin cleared his throat, "So.. How's your family like?" Seohyun paused for a while and realised that it has been almost a year since she saw her parents, well she didn't know where Daehyun went to as well. "Hm, my father is a businessman, he works as a CEO and he's probably at Europe now for another business trip. My mother works for a fashion company as an executive, she's at Paris now, having a metting with other people from other companies. I have an older brother too, he's a good guy. He finished his studies some time back and he's travelling the world." Jin brightened up when she mentioned she has an older brother just like him. "I have an older brother too! How's yours like?"

"His name is Jung Daehyun. Ever since young, he's the type of brother who bullies and teases but protects you secretly. He was really popular in high school, many girls liked him but he turned them all down. I'm not sure why, maybe he was just a really dumb guy." Seohyun giggled, "He said his world revolves around me, like he's a guardian angel sent down to protect me." 

"He sounds like an awesome brother." 

"He is!" Seohyun chirped, pulling the strap of her handbag up her shoulder more. "You kind of remind me of him." Seohyun giggled unknowingly. "Really?" Jin joined in the laughter.

 

The next morning, she got a text from Jin saying that Baekhyun was sick and that he couldn't go down to take care of him because he was going to Jeju with the rest of the Bangtan Boys. He had to ask her to take care of Baekhyun because he couldn't leave his childish friends alone. Seohyun heaved a sigh as she realized what she has got herself into after replying Jin, gleefully agreeing to his favor. 

She quickly put on a pair of jeans and shirt, rushing out of the house to find the nearest super market. 

Checking her list in her mini notebook, she made sure all the ingredients needed to make Baekhyun's favorite porridge was there. After paying for the ingredients, she took the bus and got off at the bus stop nearest to Baekhyun's house.

Seohyun breathed in deeply as she mentally prepared herself for what was about to come; Baekhyun's pointless curses and nonsense verses — his attempt to make Seohyun leave his house. Seohyun made a promise to herself that she wouldn't leave until Baekhyun got any better. After a few knocks that were in vain, she decided to just go in with the spare keys she kept with her from the last visit to his house. 

Opening the white wooden door, she placed her groceries down. Her nose wrinkled upon the horrendous stench that was enveloping the living room, probably the entire house. Littered with wine bottles, beer cans, magazines, newspapers, leftover microwave food and of course, ramyun cups. She sighed, leaving her belongings on the couch before going up to check on Baekhyun.

She decided that knocking would just bring trouble so she gently pushed open the door instead. Baekhyun was sprawled across his bed, his white covers thrown on the floor. He was wearing black pants with a white dress shirt with the top few buttons open, giving a free view of his bare, muscular chest. Seohyun inched closer as she gulped, observing Baekhyun closely. His raven hair was tousled and messy, but she had to admit he still looked extremely hot. His porcelain skin glowed under the sunshine — a revalation of what was behind those velvet curtains. His straight nose and his pink, plump lips were to die for. 

Seohyun quietly picked up the white covers on the floor and covered Baekhyun up with it. Seeing him snuggle into his covers were just the cutest thing ever. She proceeded to grab the air conditioner controller and turned it off, opening the windows and turning on the ceiling fan instead. 

She went downstairs and got herself a tub, filling it with cooling water and putting a cloth into it. She shuffled to the cabinet she knew Baekhyun kept his meds in and took a tablet of aspirin. She then went back up, taking a seat on the bed beside the Baekhyun that was sound asleep. 

As she was squeezing the cloth dry and was about to put in on Baekhyun's forehead, he groaned and what came out from his lips just blew her away.

"Seohyun, don't leave me, please."

Seohyun swallowed and took his hand in hers, "I'm not going anywhere, you idiot." 

She changed the cloths and decided to let him rest a while more before waking him up for lunch.

After spending time in the kitchen, she perfected her recipe of Baekhyun's favorite porridge, with a few additional touches to it. 

She placed the tray onto the beside table as she shook Baekhyun slightly in an attempt to wake him up from dreamland.

"Why are you here?" was the first thing that came out from his mouth as he sat up groggily trying to cleear his view after rubbing his eyes cutely. "I'm here to take care of you because you're sick," She then placed the back of her hand onto his forehead and tried to feel the temperature. "It went down quite a lot, drink more water."

"What's this?"

"It's your fav, Baek. Do you not remember?"

"Ah. Thank you." He sniffled as he adjusted himself into a somewhat comfortable sitting position, groaning from sores around this body. He got the tray of food over from Seohyun's hand, thanking her once again. "Remember to take the medicine there, don't forget okay." She said as she awkwardly shuffled out of the room. She bit the inside of her cheek and raised her eyebrows when she made out something like "stay" from what was left of Baekhyun's broken voice before she shut the door behind her.