chapter 50

Sheer Arrogance

He bit his lip and closed his eyes, clearing his thoughts for a moment before he opened it again. He was still secretly wishing for a text from her, telling him that it was all a lie and that he would go over to her house like any other day, 

Baekhyun's eyes lit up when he heard the notification sound followed by a faint vibration coming from his phone that was on the table. His cold fingertips made contact with the mahagony dinner table as he pick it up, checking to see who sent him a message. 

His smile immediately faltered when he saw that it was from a number that he didn't know. Frowning, he checked the time before returning his attention to his phone, gliding his delicate finger across the screen and opening the message from the unknown number. 

+011 82 3459 8899

Hello. This is Kim Myungsoo. Every body, Seohyun 

noona has specially asked me to send all of you a 

message as she has an important news to announce. 

She hopes that you'll be able to make it to dinner

at our house. She says all of you knows where we 

reside & please turn up at around 7pm sharp. Otherwise,

it is alright. If you've received this message, please reply.

Thank you so much.

 

Kim Myungsoo.

 

Baekhyun's forehead creased in confusion not long before the rest messaged him soon after, asking him if he has any idea what this was all about. Nonetheless, he decided to show up and replied to Myungsoo's message. 

"It's been so long. Let's see what she wants to say." Baekhyun's face was soon plastered with a smile as he placed his phone back on the mahagony table, rushing up to his room to pick out an outfit to wear for later on. 

The loving smile never left his face. Not when he was showering, not when he was styling his hair, it didn't fade off at all. This was how much he wanted to see her face. He longed for it like a baby for his mother, the homeless for a warm home. Baekhyun yearned for her touch, her loving smile, her bright eyes and of course her soft kisses.

 

Myungsoo gazed at the girl who was smiling into the mirror, applying lip gloss. For once she was genuinely smiling, for all he knew it might be fake but whatever. There was something inside of him, something that didn't want Seohyun to smile all that happily as if all things were great. Sure, he wanted her to be happy. But not like this, not when she's not with the right person. Myungsoo didn't want the girl to get hurt. 

"Myungsoo-ya, how do I look?" 

He instantly tore off his gaze from the white carpet and shifted it towards the girl who was grinning at him from ear to ear. 

"Beautiful." 

He smiled back, trying to hide the fact that he wasn't all that happy. But at least Seohyun found her happiness, right? 

Myungsoo's sight found its way back to the girl who was on her phone, the smile never left her face which made him acknowledge the fact that she was obviously texing Chanyeol. The white bralet and mint skater skirt fit perfectly with her S-line, showing off her long legs. Myungsoo could only question himself why was he not in love with this girl in front of him right there and then. He shrugged it off and got up, "Noona, I'm going to change. See you later." Seohyun hummed a reply before  Myungsoo shut the door behind him, sighing.

He went ahead and picked out a knit pullover paired with a pair of black jeans. He tided himself up and at least made him look presentable in front of his noona's friends. 

"It's going to be fine, Kim Myungsoo. If she wants this, so be it."

Myungsoo whispered to himself and made the finishing touches to his hair before he heard the bell ring.

"They're here," 

Lightly closing the door behind him, he wrinkled his nose and he proceeded down the stairs with the wooden planks creaking below his feet. His face lit up upong seeing Seohyun smiling gleefully among her friends, it was indeed a sight for sore eyes. Bowing to his seniors, he noticed that Byun Baekhyun made it to the dinner. 

"Myungsoo!" 

There weren't many people because it was just a small get-together and that Seohyun had things to say, it was alright, with not too many people. It wasn't stuffy and sweaty like the clubs along Hongdae, it was too empty like the public bathhouses on the weekdays. It was just with the right amount of people, a warm and happy little gathering.

Seohyun and Myungsoo obviously had a hard time in the kitchen but they made it. With the exception of reading off online receipes, and almost cutting off their own fingers, they successfully cooked up a meal fit for a king. Well, not really. 

Spread across the long dinner table were many types of Korean dishes — dakgalbi, japchae, gobchang, bossam, manduguk, doenjang jjigae, kimchi jjigae and of course, bibimbap.

"Wah, did the both of you call the take out?" Kris mocked, stabbing the galbi with his chopsticks. 

Seohyun frowned, "We did not! Myungsoo and I worked hard for these ok!" 

"Yeah, hyung. Give it a try." Myungsoo urged. 

Kris chuckled as he went ahead, the rest started eating as well. Other than Byun Baekhyun of course, he was busy staring at Seohyun. This made Myungsoo raise an eyebrow.

"So, what 'important news' did you have to announce to us, Jung Seohyun?" 

Seohyun looked up, setting her chopsticks down, she made eye contact with Chanyeol who later got the message as to what she was hinting about. 

"We're getting married, guys!" He exclaimed with the widest smile he had.

"What!?"

"Are you guys crazy or crazy!"

"Have you thought this through clearly, Hyunnie?" 

Lots of remarks were made all around the room just like when they broke the news to Myungsoo, but the said latter was taking notice at Baekhyun who was slowly taking in the information, refusing to believe what he just heard. He froze there and didn't say a word, just blankly staring into space. 

He felt numb, and he wanted to stay that way.

Amongst the commotion of some confusion, congratulations, and amusement, Baekhyun stood up without anyone noticing other than Myungsoo. He didn't waste a second to swoop up his phone, keys and wallet, making his way out the door to prevent himself from lashing out at anyone in there. Myungsos could only sigh, seeing his silhouette gradually getting smaller and smaller as he left the house. 

The house that was once full of warmth and love, he supposed.

 

 

He scoffs at himself as he crushed the beer can in his hands, "Why?" he asks himself, sitting in a room full of darkness and just pure sorrow. He couldn't help but tear up as he caressed the photo frame in his cold hand. The picture was taken so long ago but he could still vividly remember each and every moment he spent with the girl he loved. 

From the times where they hated each other, to when he found out he was her first crush, to his dramatic confession to Taeyeon, to the kidnap that got Seohyun the scar on her abdomen. Then again from the time he broke up with Jongin, to the time she got together with him. He remembered ever single detail clearly and vividly. The next thing he knew, he got so mad at himself. 

Baekhyun hated the useless him right then, the person that couldn't keep the girl he loved, he blamed himself for ruining everything. And then, he threw the photo frame on the wooden floor, the glass shattering into so many different pieces. And deep down inside, he knew those pieces couldn't be fixed back together, just like how his heart couldn't. 

 

 

"I'm so glad the both of you agreed to this, you don't know how excited and pleased I am for the both of you!" Chanyeol's mom squealed as she held Seohyun's hand in her warm one. "Anything for you, aunty." Seohyun smiled warmly at her, trying to piece the future together in her head somehow. 

"Promise me you'll take good care of her, darling Chanyeol." His mom added in as she rubbed her thumb against the back of Seohyun's hand.

"Yeah, you stupid ." Yura butted in, chewing on her gum before the doorbell rang.

 

"I'll get it!" Chanyeol grinned, standing up and getting the door.

 

 

"Minah?"