chapter 47

Sheer Arrogance

Her solemn expression was one amongst many in Jeongchu University, nonetheless, the people that surrounded her chit-chatted as if she was just invisible. Guys were staring, girls were obviously green with envy at the sight of her perfect body. Her blazer's top buttons were unbottoned, her tie was messy and a messy bun toppe everything. No one really loves a person for their inner self anymore nowadays, Seohyun-ah. Bitterly scoffing at herself, she went ahead to her locker and unlocked it to take out the materials needed for her first lesson of the day. Looking into the small mirror hanging on the locker, she faked a small smile. You're no longer the vulnerable Seohyun, people change, and you're justo one of that many. She reminded herself just like she did every single day. 

"Noona!" Her head turned to the source of the charming voice, finding herself staring at the mesmerizing best friend of hers. His voice not only captured her attention, but as of every single person's as well, mostly girls of course. Seohyun and Myungsoo embraced each other like they did on the normal occasion, even though time has passed, some things still didn't change. Almost all the females were overwhelmed with jealousy, because obviously Kim Myungsoo was the school's heart throb. The students, even the teachers were confused at why the two weren't in a relationship. Mainly because both were the school's centre of attraction and they were always together. But some people were clear to the reason why, maybe it was because the difference in their personailities. One was bright and cheerful while the other was stuck up, arrogant and a tad bit of insane.

But somehow, she will always have a change of heart whenever Myungsoo was there. She smiled genuinely at the younger one, grabbing his hand and swinging it around like a 5 year old child. "Do you want to hand out later, noona? My house?" Myungsoo suggested gleefully. "Of course!" her reply was followed by numerous gasps. 

Her eyebrow raised, "So much for personal privacy," She rolled her eyes. "It would be really nice if you'll stop staring like we're animals from the zoo." Seohyun smirked, slamming her locker shut and yanking Myungsoo away. "Get lost," She hissed at the people who were blocking their way, not forgetting to glare at them when they walked past.

Myungsoo could only sigh as he was dragged away by his noona, turning back to see pitiful looks directed at him. "Noona, calm down. We're alone now, it's fine." Myungsoo assured her, taking the thick stack of books from her hands and took them in his, walking her to class. "Noona, you changed." He pointed out, looking into her eyes. "I know, Myungsoo-ya, I know." She smiled timidly.


Seohyun was broken after what happened that fateful day, that day she lost her unborn child. She went back to her old self, the one that was cold and arrogant. That was what everyone dreaded. But Seohyun didn't want to be the rag doll they could throw anywhere they wanted to. She wanted to be remarkable, and she believed that hope would help her overcome pain and fatigue. Myungsoo was her best friend, there was no way for her not to forgive him, even though what happened. But if someone else did what he did, she would most definitely not spare even a single second of thought to forgive him. 

Myungsoo was almost the only person she spoke to, because their bond was unseparable. She told Baekhyun that she need time away from him, so they broke up. And as for Woohyun, he decided to go to the States and live there permanently, since he had no reason to be with Seohyun anymore. 


"Yah, I can't believe she did that, like how—" Seohyun was holding onto Myungsoo's arm as she unlocked the door to the house, chattering with Myungsoo all so happily. But shocked to find the people that she claimed, were her previous friends and no more than that, sitting around too. "What the heck? Why are all of you here?" Seohyun asked, bewildered. Myungsoo took his shoes off while Seohyun just simply kicked them off, leaving them unattended at the doorway, locking the door once more. "Can't we hang out here anymore?" Jongdae questioned.  "Noona, do I need to go home.. or?" Myungsoo asked, completely clueless about all these. "Nah! Don't mind them, let's go up." She grinned, walking upstairs and leaving the rest dumbfounded. 

Seohyun didn't mind their presence at all and the two best friends were still busy reliving memories from the past before they separated years ago. It was indeed a good thing to have some time away from those people. "Jung Seohyun, Kim Myungsoo, come down now!" A voice bellowed from downstairs and it made Seohyun roll her eyes. "Yah, Noona, let's just go. Maybe then they'll leave us alone to talk." Myungsoo sighed while Seohyun could only nod, realizing how mature the younger one was. 

"What do you want?" Seohyun asked, pissed. Her lower lip jutted out in annoyance. "What happened to you? Why did you just stop talking to us?" Joonmyun asked, picking up his courage. She could only scoff, indicating that they were the reasons why. "Can't you see? I've been through so much, so much. From Woohyun, to Jongin, Chanyeol and Baekhyun. I've learnt now, that no one really loves you for what you are, inside, anymore." She jabbed her finger to her chest area, where the heart was. 

"You guys are naive, if you still think I'm okay." Seohyun then scoffed again, hysterically. "Because I learnt that I am the only one who can bring destruction upon myself." She paused, wiping away the tears that strayed down her cheeks. Everyone can tell just by her voice, that she went through so much more than any other normal teenager. "Devotion has blinded me to the point of obscuring my own path, that's why I'm in this cheap, pathetic state. Maybe it's for the best that I just stay with Myungsoo, isn't it?" "No! You're crazy. I've never wanted to say this but you forced me to, you're a cheap . Why? There are countless reasons why, but it's because you are. You're despicable." Baekhyun shouted, enraged. 

Myungsoo's eyes widened, "You bastard!" He was about to lung forward and attack the guy whom he thought loved her noona, but Seohyun grabbed his arm right on time and shook her head no. "Byun Baekhyun!" Joonmyun screeched, wanting to warn him about his language. "Yes, I'm out of my mind. Wouldn't you be too, if you were in my shoes?" A small smirk made its way up to her lips. 

"Him!? Why?" Baekhyun asked, enraged. "Because he's my best friend. He knows me that well and he loves me for who I am, not for the money nor the looks, and that is why." Seohyun butted in and explained, leaving a smile on Myungsoo's face. "You guys should just leave, I'm not in the mood for telling my entire life story, once more. I've had enough." 


Her legs buckled and she tumbled onto the floor, like a rag doll people saw her as, and she hated that. Leaning against the door, her breath hitched and there was this indescribable feeling in her chest. She clenched onto the area where her heart was and wasted no second by letting out cries of sorrow. Seohyun just wanted to be alone to just let it all out. It felt like it was cold and lonely, like her heart and soul has been ripped out, once more. An empty and cold feeling in her stomach, like butterflies but she felt more nervous than excited. "What happened? What did I do wrong!? Why!? Why.." Her painful cries echoed through the entire house. A pressure was built in her chest and it felt like her heart would burst in pain. 

Little did she know Baekhyun came back, because of his forgetful self, he left his keys and had to retrieve them when he heard her sorrowful screams. He ran upstairs to where her room was located. Baekhyun's delicate fingers travelled up to the doorknob and curled around it. His heart wanted him to open the door and embrace her, protect her from whatever. But his body and mind were opposing and wanted him to just get his keys and leave. 

"Seohyun-ah.." He mumbled weakly, his hand lightly gracing over the white door of her room before he retracted it bitterly. 

"Oppa! I want it in white!" Seohyun was all smiles as she tugged Baekhyun's baby blue button up. It was time for Seohyun's room re-decoration, as she wanted to call it. "Isn't baby blue nicer?" He asked, a little disappointed as he jabbed himself, indicating that baby blue was his favorite color and he was indeed wearing it. Seohyun pouted before Baekhyun leaned in and pecked the tip of her nose, causing her to explode in giggles. 

Baekhyun's arm was wrapped around her waist as the two lovingly walked around the room decor shop, looking for door decorations and such. "Hey, this is so cute!" Seohyun pointed out to a door decoration that is supposed to hang in the middle of the door. It was baby blue with a white background, with two cute little monkeys hugging each other. "Miss, you are able to customise it with your very own name! It take only 30 minutes and it'll be done. Are you interested in getting it?" The saleswoman approached them and asked with a wide smile. "Oppa, should I?" Seohyun asked, looking at Baekhyun, then back at the item. Baekhyun nodded, "It's adorable," He then leaned nearer to Seohyun's ear, "Like you." He teased and leaned back again, clearing his throat.

His fingers once again graced across the letters that spelled out Seohyun's name on the door decoration. A tear fell from his eyes as his breath felt like it was ripped from his lungs, the air thick as he gasped.

 

No one knew, but two heartbroken people were just a few inches away and crying because of the same exact reason.


 

 

A/N:

oh god what a crappy ending for this chapter.