chapter 46

Sheer Arrogance

Myungsoo paced back and forth around the now empty hallway of the hospital, right outside the operating room. He was trembling, staring right at the blood on his hands and clothes. The blood that weren't his. Myungsoo was slowly dying on the inside, as he remembered the last words Seohyun muttered to him. His mind then went back on the question the doctor asked him right then before they pushed Seohyun into the operating room.

He was holding onto Seohyun, their hands were covered with Seohyun's crimson blood. "Seohyun! Noona! Please, wake up!" Seohyun was being rolled into the operating room, "Please, please save Seohyun! Please, I'm begging you!" Myungsoo was on the verge of losing his mind. "The impact created from the car accident was too heavy, she lost too much blood. To protect the mum, I have to carry out an emergency abortion for her no matter what happens." The doctor frantically explained as he halted by the doorway of the operating room. "W-What? You mean, you're going to take away HyunKi?" Myungsoo asked, sounding hopeless and desperate. The doctor spoke no more and turned to his assistant nurse as she passed him a small black clipboard with a document on it. "This is a letter of consent in order for the abortion to take place, will you please sign it?" The doctor asked, not wasting a second.

Myungsoo was utterly stunned, "Can we keep the both of them?" He persisted. "There's no way for it to happen in this current situation! Mr Kim, time is crucial, can you please hurry up and sign it?" The doctor raised his voice as his patience ran out. 

"Hyungki.. H-Hyunki," Seohyun managed to mumble, her eyes travelled to the document on Myungsoo's hand. "Myungsoo-ah, what's that? M-Myungsoo, Myungsoo," She tugged onto his button down as hot tears started trailing down. "M-Myungsoo, please, I'm begging you, please don't sign it." She cried out. "Please, I'll stop pestering you and the guys, I will leave Korea and never come back again,. But p-please don't hurt my baby. I beg you, please don't sign it!" She choked out, her blood red hand still clinging onto Myungsoo. By this time, Myungsoo was already drowning in his own tears. "I'm not even the father," He whimpered, looking over to Seohyun with the apologetic eyes. "Didn't you not want it!?" Myungsoo yelled, "Please, Myungsoo! D-Don't, please! Please, no! I don't want this to happen, no! Kim Myungsoo, no please! Hyunki.. no!" Myungsoo flinged away her arm and was crying so badly. He took out the fountain pen Seohyun got him for his 20th birthday and quickly signed the consent letter, the hot torrents of grief coursed down his porcelain face. "No!" 

Myungsoo spun around, "I want Seohyun, I don't want the child." He was firm and he knew hell broke loose in her.

"Kim Myungsoo, no!" Her grip on his button down loosened, and the next thing he knew, he was standing all alone in the hallways. He was bawling his eyes out, kneeling on the floor as he glanced on last time between the closing doors of the operating room.

Daehyun was the first one to arrive, "Yah, K-Kim Myungsoo, whose blood is that?" He asked, trying to make a joke out of it. "Seohyun's," Myungsoo answered lifelessly, staring at Daehyun with a poker face. Slowly, almost everyone came, the rest were either overseas or really busy and uncontactable. Myungsoo refused to say anything and just sat there in the corner, trying his best not to go berserk and break down in front of so many people. "W-What happened!?" Woohyun yelled at him, punching him straight in the face. And that was the last straw for Myungsoo. 

He stood up, but his legs gave way. "It was my fault! I shouldn't have let go of her hand, and if I didn't, she wouldn't be knock down! T-The doctor s-said he couldn't s-save both, and he asked me to sign the letter of consent to remove the baby.." He immediately buried his face into his palms, sobbing loudly because he thought it was his entire fault. Hyunki? The baby's name was from so long ago, when Baekhyun was still with her. She told me clearly that 'Byun Hyunki' was supposed to be the name of the future son she and Baekhyun was going to have, what happened?

"The baby's gone? Gone?" Woohyun asked for confirmation, flabbergasted at what he heard. "I'm so sorry, hyung." Myungsoo stuttered, after nodding. "Oh my god," Tiffany was twice as shocked as anyone was. "What the hell happened!? Kim Myungsoo oh my god, I can't believe this! She kept telling me how her, Hyunki and Baekhyun are going to be so happy as a family, we even shopped for so many baby supplies! What the hell is wrong with you, huh!? Yah! Why, oh my god, why!?" Tiffany was wailing on the ground, seemingly in pain just like Seohyun was moments before. 

"W-What? B-Baekhyun?" Woohyun was shocked to hear it even, almost everyone present except Myungsoo, Tiffany, Baekhyun and Daehyun were astonished. "Yes, him! Byun Baekhyun, you see him? The one standing over there, lifeless just like Myungsoo. He could protect Seohyun well, and you!? What were you doing!?" She went ahead and punched his chest with all the energy she had left in her before she was pulled back by Sooyoung and Yoona. "You're an , I don't get why she sacrificed her own happiness just for you. You're not worthy of it." She spat, marching off towards the toilet with Sunny and Yuri following her behind. 

Woohyun was stunned. "You heard her," Myungsoo muttered once more, wanting his friend to wake up from his unrealistic dream. "See? I told you, Daehyun hyung, why wouldn't you believe me?" Myungsoo was angry and frustrated with Daehyun. Because if Daehyun forgave her, this obviously wouldn't take place. This tragedy wouldn't take place. And the only time they come to the hospital will be the time they welcome Hyunki into the world. But it was clear that it wasn't going to happen.


Her eyes fluttered open and all she could smell was a hint of antiseptic here and there. "Hyung! Hyung! She's awake!" Kyungsoo noticed the moment her fingers that were trapped in his starting twitching. "Hey, princess. It's been a while." Daehyun smiled at her, a genuine smile. Because deep down inside, he knew this was going to be a really big blow to Seohyun. "Mum," She noticed that her beloved mother came as well, she was delighted to see her mum after so long. "I got your favorite! It's chicken noodle soup, I made it myself." Daehyun grinned gleefully as Seohyun chuckled a bit. "Or do you want some apples? I can get them for you," Sunny popped out and offered. 

Seohyun then realized. Her hand travlled down to her abdomen. It felt empty, like the weight was lifted off her, like nothing was inside. Then it finally hit her. "I want to see my baby," everyone in the room quitened down, the spirit just died away. "Where's my baby? I want to see my baby." She said firmly. After a long period of silence while everyone was secretly grieving inside. "He's gone, he's gone." Her eyes started welling up with tears. "He's gone, right?" She asked with a cracked voice. She stared into the ceiling and literally anyone could feel the pain just through her voice. 

Her mum the side of her face. "I'm so useless, I can't do anything right. Since I was a kid, you depended on Daehyun because I messed everything up. I'm useless, I can't even keep my baby safe." Her mum shushed her, "No, dear. You're alright, it's okay. It's not your fault," Mrs Jung's lips started to quiver as well, holding her dearest daughter's hand in hers. She knew she couldn't feel what Seohyun did, because she didn't go through this painstaking thing ever before, she had two beautiful children safely. "Mum, I'm so useless. What's wrong with me?" "No, no my dear. It's not your fault at all.". Seohyun was numb, "My baby's gone, my baby's gone." She kept repeating over and over. "Shh, it's going to be fine, my dear." Mrs Jung bit onto her lip and tried to keep hold of herself but Hyoyeon couldn't bear to watch this anymore. 

She couldn't watch her best friend which was close to her like a blood related sibling, suffer so much. She went out and saw the rest of the people. "How is she?" Myungsoo was the first to bolt up and ask, "Can you please let me in, I just want to see her." Myungsoo begged. His friends looking at him pitifully. 

Inside the room, Seohyun heard this and went berserk. "No! No! Mum please, I don't want to see him! My baby!" She shrieked. "My baby! I don't want to see him! Mum.. My baby is gone!" Seohyun cried out loud. "I won't, I won't. I won't let him in, calm down, dear." Mrs Jung went ahead and hugged her while Daehyun just stood there helplessly, witnessing his baby sister bawling her eyes out in pain. An indescribable pain. "My baby is gone..", "Mummy won't let him in, alright? My dear, oh dear lord." 

Myungsoo who heard this from outside, just like everyone, was so hurt he couldn't believe what he heard. His eyes went round as he heard more and more screams from inside. "My baby is gone!" This phrase just broke everyone inside and outside the ward, especially Kim Myungsoo. But he had to do that, because as her best friend, he wanted to save her of course. He had to.

"Hyung.." Sehun whispered as Myungsoo soulessly trudged away from the ward. "She doesn't want to see me." Myungsoo scoffed at himself, "Of course, she must hate me so much right now. I took away her flesh and blood. She just wanted to have no ties with all of us and live happily with her sisters and the baby, why am I so stupid!? It's my fault, it's my fault!" He screamed and punched the wall continously before some of the boys dragged him away. 

"Myungsoo," Sunggyu called out. "Why didn't I notice? Why didn't I push her away and get hit instead!?" He screamed. "If I could've stopped her from thinking that way, things would've turned out different. Why!? Why did it turn out like this!? Why!?" He punched the wall hysterically until his knuckles bled. "Calm down, Kim Myungsoo! Do you think this is going to change anything!? It isn't going to anymore! Calm yourself down!" Sunggyu yelled at him once more. 

He turned around and faced Sunggyu, "Hyung, she's never going to forgive me, right?" He asked desperately. "No, no, it's not like that, Myungsoo-ya. It's an accident—" "It wasn't an accident!" He howled back at pushed Sunggyu forward. "This wasn't an accident. I harmed Seohyun. I harmed Hyunki too. This wasn't an accident." Myungsoo glowered at Sunggyu. He then turned away and left every dumbfounded.

 

"I landed her in this state, it's my fault."