chapter 48

Sheer Arrogance

A tear glistened under the dim light as Seohyun's finger caressed the picture of the ultrasound she was given when she last visited the obstetrician. "I'm sorry, Mummy couldn't take care of you..." She whimpered before a knock on the door interupted her train of thoughts. She quickly cleaned away her tears before calling out weakly for the person to come in. "Noona?" Myungsoo whispered loud enough for her to hear with a small smile. "Dinner's read— yah, Noona, were you crying?" Myungsoo asked, looking into Seohyun's bloodshot eyes and the dried tears that stained her cheek. His eyes travelled to the blue box filled with baby items. "Noona, it's over now, please don't think about it again, please." Myungsoo held her cold and clammy hands in his, trying to force out a smile for her. 

He couldn't lose a best friend, could he? 

He had no choice.

Night approached but the troubled girl sat on the queen-sized bed of hers. She told herself everything was going to be fine soon because she had Myungsoo by her side. But something felt weird, there was this unspecified emptiness in her and she couldn't explain it and didn't know why. But all she knew was that she had to stay strong. For her family, for Myungsoo and of course, for Baekhyun. Even though he wasn't here anymore but he still played a huge part in her life, within herself, it was a secret no one had to know. 


Minseok could only secretly smirk as he nudged the younger one, he knew exactly why he was spacing out while reading the magazine. "Yah, what are you doing?" Minseok asked, chuckling. "Reading.. a magazine?.." Baekhyun asked, matter-of-factly. "You should turn that right side up again before you say that, stupid." Minseok reached forward to flicked his forehead, "I know what you're thinking, Byun." He paused and took a sip from his coffee mug. "I know clearly that you miss her, so why don't you just win her back again? It's not like that Myungsoo kid is dating her, right?" Minseok asked, chuckling before diverting his attention back to the newspaper. "I don't know, maybe they are."

"Even if they are, if she was yours to begin with, she'd be yours in the end as well, don't you think so?" Right there, Minseok's question stunned the younger one as he realized that it was indeed true. He just couldn't help but sigh.


He looked at her across the cafeteria, chattering happily with her new-found friends, while he just sat with Jongdae and Joonmyun. Baekhyun sulked, seeing her so happy even without him, although that was a good thing. 

Taehyung leaned closer to Seohyun and whispered to her, making her erupt in a fit of giggles. 

"You know that day I tried to make spaghetti, the tomato sauce exploded!" 

Seohyun just couldn't believe how humorous her new friends were, they were unlike her old ones. Which some were not a tad bit close to being funny. Rolling her eyes, she scoffed when she caught Baekhyun staring from across the large area. The two youngsters were merely gazing at each other before it turned into an intense staring competition. "Aish, that guy." 

"Why, noona?" 

Myungsoo asked as his gaze followed hers, eyes landing on Baekhyun. Realizing it was Byun Baekhyun, he scowled at the said one and stood up, prepared to drag Seohyun away from this. "It's okay, don't care about him." Seohyun nudged the younger one and urged him to sit back down. There was clearly something tugging at her heartstrings that she was trying to ignore but it just got the better of her. Chugging down a bottle of ice water, she let out an irritated sigh as she rolled her eyes. What the hell? 

Part of her knew clearly what it was, but the other part was trying to keep a clear coast of what was bugging her. She didn't want to remember anything and just get over with it in her already miserable life. It felt as if the memories were consuming her alive right there and then, her breath hitched.


That night she sat in her front lawn, accompanied by a warm cup of matcha latte. The fragrance of the warm drink travelled to her nostrils and it triggered one of the deepest memories she buried behind. The same feeling she felt years ago, it came slapping her right in the face and it was unevitable. Her head spun continously and her vision went blurry, it was as if stones were weighing her down and it felt horrible. The dim moonlight was illuminating her porcelain face, which was now emotionless. It all just felt numb.

Thousands of thoughts were running through her mind but she could only focus on the time where Baekhyun chose Taeyeon over her. All the heartbreaks she ever suffered in her entire life started surfacing up all at once and it was killing her from the inside. 

Soon enough, her eyes stung with anguish as tears streamed down her pale cheeks while she was fighting her own battle in herself. The realization of the moment gradually seeped in, she felt pathetic, for not being able to live happily like she promised Daehyun. I have to be strong, I told myself I won't be weak like I was before, right? Please just let me cry it all out for once..

Her chest was heaving and almost inhuman sobs came out from deep within her soul, she just allowed the pain to come at her however it liked, all at once so she won't have to cry pathetically in front of others anymore. She hugged her knees tighter as a bitter gush lashed against her face. Her heart and her head was calaedoscoping with painful memories. 

Behind her was of course, Myungsoo. The two had moved in together into a mansion Myungsoo and Seohyun recently purchased, sort of. Seohyun trusted Myungsoo enough to move in with him and that piece of news spreaded like wildfire in university. It definitely made anyone and everyone think that they were dating or even engaged to be able to live with each other under the consent of their parents. Well, not really. Some people were happy at the piece of news and that she was coping alright with Myungsoo with her. But some other people like Byun Baekhyun were just bitter at the fact that they were not married and just moved in like nothing happened.

It truly pained Myungsoo to see his best friend crying again. He had to admit, Seohyun still had this glow in her even though she was down at her worst, maybe that was what attracted the guys to her most; that a girl could still look this gorgeous even with mascara running down her face. The grass crunched under his feet as he paced towards Seohyun, who heard the process and was trying to wipe all the evidence away from her face. "Noona, it's okay to cry, you know you can be really open with me, right?" A small smile kissed Myungsoo's lips, even though there was a hint of sadness behind it. 

"You know what I think? I think it's beautiful when a person cries, because it shows that they're being honest with their emotions, and in that moment, the vulnerability is quite beautiful because it shows that the person is not afraid of admitting their vulnerability susceptibility to feeling something intensely and deeply."

Myungsoo was obviously worried for Seohyun, so he made her a cup of warm milk and forced her to wash up and sleep. He tucked Seohyun in and sat by her bedside, watching his noona fall asleep before he went out of the room. 

The girl stretched, her messy bed hair falling right onto her shoulders. A yawn escaped her lips as she turned to check the time, it was 15 minutes past 11, it was getting late so she unwillingly got out of bed. Seohyun's stomach grumbled as she remembered not having dinner the last night, a frown soon replaced a small smile that was on her face when she felt really bad for Myungsoo who had to put up with her mood swings. She decided to get herself together and prepare dinner for Myungsoo later at night to thank him for all he had done for her for the past few months. 

Seohyun quickly threw on a black t-shirt with a shark printed on it and a pair of mint skinny jeans. Unplugging her iPhone5s from the charger, she also retrived her Chanel wallet from the clutch sitting by the bedside table. She winced, remembering that it was the clutch Baekhyun got her on her last birthday. Damn, she treasured it so much she brought it everywhere she went.

A soft sigh escaped her lips as she dragged herself out of the well decorated room that ached her everytime she stepped in because it just reminded her more and more of Baekhyun. It pained her so much she didn't even want to step in there anymore for the rest of her life. In every corner, it contained memories of her and Baekhyun and she couldn't stand how much it was consuming her alive. 

She ran a hand through her newly dyed hair which was now in a shade of wine red, walking down the steps she could already smell the fragrance of freshly made pancakes, her favorite. But something was off, there was a hint of the fragrance of black coffee and that was weird. Both Myungsoo and her didn't drink black coffee as far as she remembered. Normally they would drink some healthy fruit smoothies that Myungsoo or she would blend in the early morning or else it was orange juice or even milk, but never was there once was there a hint of black coffee in their house.

Shaking the thought that someone else was here, she made her way down and what she saw next made her breath stop for a brief second.

 

"C-Chanyeol?" 

Her lips were quivering as the tears started to build up with the lump in . She just couldn't believe it all. 

"Seohyun.." Him calling out her name really made her almost lose it all. It was him, the way he called her name was just different. But it still had that effect on her just like Baekhyun doing it did, it simply made her go crazy with all the butterflies in her stomach. 

Neither of them spoke and just looked into each other's eyes until she couldn't take standing there anymore. Seohyun dropped the things she had in her shivering hands and dashed forward to his already open arms, her head fitting perfectly into his sturdy chest. She just melted into the hug, her arms curling around his waist. Her soft squeal was music to his ears when he squeezed her even tighter than before, he felt complete. 

"I missed you so much." She whispered, holding him close and not breaking the warm hug. But Chanyeol held her close as he leaned down and placed a chaste kiss on her forehead, a soft blush crept up onto her cheeks. 

"Hi." She whispered again, her cheeks still in a light shade of crimson, her red lips pressed into a blissful smile.

His arms were still wrapped around her slender body, his head resting in the crook of her neck before he reluctantly pulled away. Chanyeol held onto Seohyun's hand and led her over to where the dinner table was and pulled out a bouquet of white and blue roses. Seohyun's eyes glistened with surprise as Chanyeol handed her the beautiful bouquet, "I knew you'd like it." He chuckled, full of smiles. 

"How? When did you come back? How did you find me?" Seohyun asked, still admiring the bouquet with a wide smile plastered on her face before her attention diverted to Chanyeol who was pulling out a chair and taking a seat across her. "I wanted to give you a surprise! And of course, I asked Daehyun hyung for the address so that I could find you." He paused, starting to cut up the pancakes into smaller bite pieces. "It's nice to see you having a better life out here with this guy," He looked at Myungsoo who was awkwardly chugging down a cup of orange juice. "Myungsoo, right?" Chanyeol asked with a cheeky smile. "Y-Yeah," Myungsoo unknowingly stuttered, making Seohyun laugh. 

Seohyun gazed at the guy sitting across her who was in a simple white v-neck and sweatpants, but to her, he looked great as usual. "I got here last night, that was after you fell asleep." Chanyeol spoke as he drizzled some maple syrup onto the pancakes, putting down the utensils before switching his plate with Seohyun. "Here, eat up!" He grinned at you as he proceeded into cutting up his own serving. 

Park Chanyeol, caring as usual. He didn't change, did he?

Myungsoo on the other hand, was holding back his laughter and tried not to gag at the both of you.

"If you wanted to ask me about where I disappeared to, well, I went for a short vacation in Hawaii. You know, I just needed somekind of a break from the busy life. I kind of finished schooling there and my dad wants me to take over the company when I get older, do you think that's possible?" 

Seohyun snorted, "You? Maybe, just maybe. If you weren't such a little kid at heart." 

Chanyeol scowled at the girl who made that comment, "But my dad wanted me to get married soon, that's crazy." 

Seohyun choked on her pancake, causing Myungsoo to rush over and pat her back real hard. "Yah! You didn't have to do it that hard!" Seohyun whined and glared at Myungsoo playfully. Myungsoo rubbed his nape sheepishly before apologising to Seohyun, heading to the kitchen to wash the dishes. 

"So.. Why did you come back?" Seohyun asked Chanyeol curiously. 

 

"I came back because of your promise."