chapter 49

Sheer Arrogance

Seohyun was taken aback for a moment by the comment from the tall latter. 

Chanyeol sighed, "My dad asked me if I had anyone on my mind, or was I seeing anyone at the moment. I really didn't know what to say, so I immediately said your name. They were going to marry me off to some girl I didn't know and I didn't want that at all. Besides, my parents would be much assured if they knew it was you instead of some stranger, right?" 

The girl didn't know what to say. It was indeed true that Mr and Mrs Park would be happier if they knew their only son was going to get married to her, because they doted on her as if she was their own daughter. Also on the fact that Chanyeol was really picky when it came to girls, that was fact learned from Joonmyun when they talked, no?

A frustrated sigh left her lips. But her train of thoughts were interrupted by Chanyeol kneeling down in front of her, pulling out a velvet box. He opened the box and right inside was a beautiful engagement ring. Seohyun gasped, she couldn't believe what was happening right now. Baekhyun and her separated not long ago, and now Chanyeol is willing to devote the rest of his life to her by marrying her. Clearly she was confused and didn't know what exactly to do. But she knew Chanyeol was in a difficult position.

"I've only had my eyes on you ever since we were in high school, you were my first love and my everything. I know this sounds really cheesy and cliche, but I'm serious. I know how many heartbreaks you went through and I want to be the one there for you for the rest of your life no matter what happens to you. I want to be the man that you can confide in when you have problems, the man that you'll look for when you're down because I'll always be the one to be able to bring that beautiful smile back on your face again. I won't leave you even if the skies get rough, I will be there for you even when the skies fall down." Chanyeol let out a chuckle. 

"I've never loved someone so much, I didn't know it was possible at all. I love you so, so much. I'm willing to be by your side for the rest of my life and spend my days with you until I die."

He gathered every last bit of his courage.

"Will you marry me, beautiful?"

By the time he ended his short speech, Seohyun's hands were clamped over as tears made their way down her cheeks. Chanyeol got up and pulled her into a tight embrace. "Hey, why are you crying?" 

Seohyun knew. She knew that he was the one beside her all along, through the ups and downs, the thick and thin. No matter what she was aware of the fact that Baekhyun had to be forgotten and her past had to go. She held her breath and closed her eyes, then she recalled the question Kyungsoo asked her days ago. 

The scent of coffee lingered around the apartment as Seohyun wrinkled her nose. She never liked coffee. She then reached out for the mug sitting on the table, taking a sip of the green tea. 

"What are you going to do about it?" 

She couldn't help but chew the inside of her cheek after setting the mug back on the table. Seohyun curled her fists against her lap as a chill ran down her spine just before her whole body began to cover in goosebumps. 

"But what about Baekhyun?" Her voice cracked, "I went through so much to be with him, and you're telling me to let go of all these right now?" 

"You have to, someday. You'll know if you aren't meant to be with someone, you'll know." 

It pained Kyungsoo to let the younger hear those words but he had to force them out. The smile that he had on minutes ago faded as a straight on took it's place. Shutting his eyes for a moment to clear his mind, he let out a steady sigh. Kyungsoo looked up and fixed his gaze on the girl seated right in front of him. Seohyun gripped the edge of her skater skirt as she stared at the boy with the doe eyes. Her lips quivered as her breathe hitched. Kyungsoo let out another painful sigh as he caught sight of tears welling up in her brown eyes.

"If he's willing to devote the rest of his life to you, will you do the same? He loves you, Seohyun-ah." 

Chanyeol cupped her cheeks and pressed his soft lips against her forehead before wiping her tears away with his thumb. The two locked eyes before he gave her a loving smile that made her feel that way; the butterflies in her stomach. It wasn't before long that a soft smile broke out on her tear stained face as she nodded. Chanyeol was in complete bliss as he pulled her in for another hug.

"I love you," The tall latter spoke with a grin plastered on.

"I know."


She paced around her room, biting her lip as she glanced at the sliver engagement ring on her finger. Seohyun let out a heavy sigh as she twisted the ring around the delicate finger of hers. Before she knew it, she felt her cheeks dampen when she touched her face with her cold fingertips. She stared at the tears on her fingertips as she questioned herself. Why was she crying?

Her legs gave way as she leaned against the door, tears flowing down unknowingly. 

There were lots of times that I had spent with Baekhyun, those happy moments that I didn't realize. The road that I've walked so far, the roads I walked down alone while crying, you've changed them all. You don't speak much but you always know what I'm thinking. Gosh, you know me better than I do myself. Even though we haven't met for a long time, I'm sorry that I only depended on you in the past. But I still can't believe you left me coldly like a lie, the words that left your lips. The soft lips that I used to meet mine with. 

Why do I still feel like this when I'm supposed to be happy? Is this some sort of a terrible dream?

I want to turn back the time that feels like a nightmare and throw away our breakup. I can't escape this horrible broken dream that has frozen into place.

She brought her knees to her chest as she covered her face with her now cold palms. Her painful sobs were heard by Myungsoo who just happened to pass by to go to the washroom, but he immediately stopped and barged into Seohyun's room. Rushing to her side, he kneeled down and pulled her into a hug. He didn't knew how this was going to be of any help to her but he knew clearly he couldn't do anything to help the situation except to ease the pain of his noona. Myungsoo ran his fingers through her soft hair and shushed her, telling her it will be okay when he knew it wouldn't be. Myungsoo didn't know why until his eyes travelled to Seohyun's hand that was clenching onto his arm. The shiny sliver engagement ring was visible under the dim lights as it reflected. 

A soft sigh escaped Myungsoo's pink lips as he loked at the frail gril crying in his arms. 

"Noona, you'll be alright, I promise you." Myungsoo assured his noona and sighed in relief when he heard the sobs fading away slowly. 

"Myungsoo-ya, I know this moment isn't a dream, but tell me what should I do.. please." 

"Noona, you told me once that you're just like a flower that falls after a raindrop brushes against it, that you're not a big deal to me. But you are, you're important to me and I won't be anywhere today without you. I know many things have happened this year but I promise you better days. If you're the flower that falls, I will be the one there to pick you up again. Be alright, noona."

 

Although I can't accept the painful reality, and that I'm in denial of our breakup. I know that our separation and this moment are not dreams. I'll love myself enough to let you go because I'm getting married. I'll fair to Chanyeol who loves me more than himself, that he's willing to spend the rest of his life with me.

I'll learn to love him the way I love you.