Chapter 39

Sheer Arrogance

A u t h o r ' s  N o t e ;

surprise surprise her ex is none other than the y Nam Woohyun yaas i love him so much i can't even uincvwiefcowwnvubwu his perfection is just too perfect oh god. i just thought i'd give this a twist and make her ex ex woohyun it would be so super funnnnnn yaas. sorry for being weird otl but in the future chapters there will be quite A LOT of drama stirring up so.. enjoyyyy! ^^


She walked down the pavement and panicked for a moment, "Damn, what should I say to him? I've not seen him for so long.. Gosh." She mentally cursed herself for not being updated with her ex, when they were still friends. She shivered and pulled her coat together a little bit more, trapping her own body heat in and then again, made a mental note to never come out with just one thin crap coat in winter.

The walk in the cold winter morning seemed brisk and refreshing, it cleared her mind entirely as feather-like snowflakes gently kissed the tip of her nose and them melted. It was all silent and peaceful, except for the few businessmen scurrying around with cups of hot coffee that she yearned for. Thin frozen puddles cracked under her pink winter boots that Baekhyun got for her last winter. She immediately felt a pang of guilt wash over her, "You do not like Woohyun. You do not like Woohyun." Seohyun whispered to herself as puffs of white smoke rose up to her vision.

And soon enough, she saw the café that resided at the far end of the currently empty street in Hongdae. The pastel coloured umbrellas were blanketed with snow, wooden tables and chairs outside were mostly empty. The café gave out a shine and gave off that warm feeling they always had. The same café that they fell in love in, the same one where they ended their love story.

-flashback-

"Hello?" His heart thumped against his chest as he heard the call go through the other end. "Oh? Woohyun oppa!" There she is, whom the stars might not shine for, but the one that always shone in his dark life. Her bubbly and cheerful personality made him fall in love with her almost, at first sight. The way her soft brown hair flowed down her shoulders perfectly, the way her eyes twinkled in the sunlight and how her milky pale skin always made him smile in delight. He, knew at that point of time, that she was his soulmate. The one that he was always looking for. She wasn't the girl she now was back then, believe it or not, she used to be bullied in school because everyone in school thought that she was lying about being the sister of Jung Daehyun, the oh-so-famous flower boy in middle school. Everyone seemed to have detested her except for her 8 best friends, her brother and of course, the 7 other flower boys in school back then. Seohyun was a petite, calm and kind person that took every single criticism to heart and never thought that she was good enough for anyone. Not until someone like Woohyun stood up for her when some girl called her a in the hallways. Sigh, those times were the vulnerable her. Because of Woohyun, her life changed a lot. Because of Woohyun, she learnt to stand up for herself and be confident of who she was, because he told her so. Woohyun, was like a role model, a teacher and a best friend to her. He changed her life completely. 

And of course, as clichè as it might seem, she fell in love with him.

 

 

That was, not long after his big mouth friends told her he liked her too. 

 

Snapping back to reality, he stopped thinking back into the past. "Hey, Seo? Do you have time later? Can we meet at Pastel Angels? I have something important to tell you." She could hear his smile from the other end and of course, accepted the kind offer. "Yes! Hyung I did it," Woohyun silently cheered and fist pumped. "Okay good, you've completed the first step. Go on, good luck, Woo." Sunggyu chuckled and pushed him out the door. 

Woohyun happily strolled to the nearby florist and got her a bouquet of daisies, because she was different from the other girls he met. She didn't want branded bags, clothes, make up, or expensive bouquets and jewellery. She only needed sincerity and love from the other one. 

He then took out the velvet box and opened it, inside were two couple rings with 'S&W' carved behind them. He took a deep breath before heading towards the café. 

He pushed open the door of the café and heard the bells ringing. The grandmother at the counter greeted him with a kind smile that he didn't fail to return. Scanning around the vintage looking place, he finally found the girl he was looking for. Dressed in a beige pullover and jean shorts, he could spot her easily. 

He hid the bouquet and box behind him and went up to the girl, "Hey! Sorry I'm late.. Had to go get stuffs done." He explained nervously. "Oh, it's okay, oppa! What did you want to ask or say to me? I'm all ears!" She replied with a huge grin on her face. He didn't hesitate any less, knelt down before she gasped and asked, "Would you be my girlfriend? I know this isn't fancy at all but.. you know me well, I'm not good at these kind of things and you know, I tried! I've liked you since I saw you for the first time ever. You were different from the other girls that were materialistic and fake, you wanted nothing but sincerity and love. I'm going to risk it and give you my heart and I promise you, no matter what, I'm going to shower you with endless love and protect you. Would you be my girlfriend?" 

She was on cloud nine. Smiled and accepted him. Ended their day with a blissful kiss of course. Cheesy much.

-end of flashback-

And that, was their love story. It wasn't much but meant the entire world to the both of them. Sighing once more, she pushed open the door of the place, hearing the bells ring, she stepped in. Of course, being greeted by the same grandma that stood there for years, she went up to greet her. Noticing that she aged so much, her heart ached painfully. 

"How are you and Woohyun? It's been a long time, my dear kids." 

"We're doing fine, grandma. It's just that we've been busy. Sorry that we didn't visit as much as we once did." Seohyun came up with a quick lie and covered it up because she didn't want the grandma to worry about the both of them. "That's nice to hear, my dear. It's okay, I've been managing well too. Just come whenever you want, this place is always open for the both of you, for you two are like me own kids already." SHe smiled warmly at Seohyun before she did the same. 

Woohyun, from afar, saw their little conversation and his heart jumped at her kindness and patience towards old people. She was still the warm people as she was last time. 

"Seohyun-ah!" He called out, waving to her before the both of them broke into smiles. 

"Hey, long time no see." He said before a smile appeared on his face. "I missed you," He continued with a grin. "Well, I'm here now, am I not?" Seohyun laughed at his lacking sense of humour. "So how are you? Why'd you come back?" Seohyun asked curiously before someone broke their conversation. "Sorry to interrupt, loves. Here's something to fill your stomachs, have a nice day, kids." The grandma approached them, placing a plate of matcha vanilla cakes and cinnamon latte on their tables. "Oh no, it's okay, grandma. I'll pay for it later! Thank you so much." Woohyun declined the offer and wanted to pay later. Seohyun sighed dreamily at his gentlemanlyness. The grandma just smiled then left. 

"I'm doing fine with the 6 others. I guess we just missed Korean food and home, so one fine day we just decided to move back. And I wanted to see you for so long, so I thought why not just ask you out for coffee. How about you? What have you been doing after we, uh, you know— separated?" Woohyun said awkwardly. 

Seohyun didn't know how to react at the last sentence so she just ignored it. "Well, my life's been so damn complicated and I can't really explain cause too much has been happening lately. But I'm doing okay," She giggled. "Do you have boyfriend now?" Woohyun asked out of nowhere. "Yeah, Baekhyun." She shrugged.

"Oh." Woohyun's shoulders immediately dropped and a glint of sadness could be seen in his eyes. 

"What about you?" 

"No one after you.. wasn't all that in the mood to fall in love again after all those ." Woohyun chuckled bitterly. "Look, I'm sorry but you know.. I have my reasons for it, I just—" "You just what? Dumped me in the middle of the streets? Damn, I thought it was really going to last, like we were gonna have a family with children like you wished. It made me look so pathetic. I was so screwed up after that day, you know? Tell me, was I not good enough for you? You said there were reasons, tell me." Woohyun shot out, biting his lip and trying to control his tears from falling. 

"I'm truly sorry for what I've done back then. It's not that you're not good enough for me, it's just that Daehyun opposed to us being together. He went to tell my parents bad things about you and it made me so upset I just didn't know what to do, I was so messed up I—" Woohyun cut her off with a chaste kiss on her lips, silencing her from her explanation.

"I still love you. Even after all these years. The feelings never faded. You know, no matter how many girls I've dated and flirted, there was always this one girl on my mind before I got to sleep every night, and that girl is you." Woohyun confessed with a sad smile spread across his flawless face. 

"I know..." Seohyun mumbled. "They said to me, 'If you love a person, set him free.', so I let you go. Because I thought I wasn't good enough for you." She quietly whispered in pain. 

Woohyun sighed, "You were always the perfect one for me, nothing will change, never had and never will. I've love you even when you left me like that. I used to think I was crazy for loving somoeone so much, even more than myself." He chuckled at his own comment. 

"What happened to us?" Woohyun asked with a tint of devastation in his husky voice. The lights were illuminating his flawless face, making it look like some sad melodramatic movie in high school. "Mhhm?" Seohyun mumbled, sipping on the gingerbread latte she just got, it made everything seem more calm and peaceful. "You know what I mean," Seohyun knew clearly what he was talking about, but she didn't want to remember and know at all because they were painful memories and part of the past. 

"We just weren't the same last time. Everything started changing and our relationship cooled down. We didn't hang out as much as we used to at first, we didn't make time for each other simply because we were all selfish." Seohyun slowly talked and felt depressed all of a sudden. 

Woohyun didn't say anything, he just nodded. "What about now? Are you happy with him?" Woohyun asked, concerned. "I'm contented with what I have, I should say. It could be worse, you know." Seohyun said with relunctance evident in her voice. "What about you? Are you happy with your life now?" She continued.

"Not really, without you by my side when I wake up."

"I know."

"I miss us being in love, all carefree and loveable. The feeling of being in love was just blissful, it made everything look perfect." Woohyun admitted. "You showed me the world was beautiful," Seohyun smiled and said. 

"Pleasure,"

A sad smile crept up Woohyun's face, "You were mine," "And you meant the world to me, the love of my life." Seohyun explained further to him. The two were like a match made in heaven. 

"But I lost you, we were lost in love." Seohyun bit her lip, "Everything started changing all of a sudden and it was stale. I lost you. I lost you to myself."