Denial

Kai from the Sky

"Haneul" Kai called out for the nth time, knocking on my bedroom door.

 

I am right on the other side, sitting on the floor with a hand over my chest. What is this insane beating that I can feel inside? Maybe I am just over analyzing things. Right. Just because Kai said he fell in love in eight months doesn't mean that I have anything to do with it. The guy teleports. He probably met a lot of other people before and fell in love with someone along the way.

 

Without intending to, I inhaled rather sharply as if gasping for air. For some reason, my chest hurt at the thought.

 

"Haneul, please. Can we talk?" Kai called out again.

 

"Y-yeah, give me a minute" I finally answered and he stopped knocking. I used that minute to steady my breathing and chase away the butterflies in my stomach.

 

Once I opened the door, I saw Kai's worried face. I looked back at him with an innocent expression.

 

"Haneul! About what I said, it's--"

 

"Sorry, I just came here because I remembered I had to get something" I lied. The truth is I escaped after being taken aback and confused about whether he just confessed to me or not.

 

"Oh" he blinked. I scrutinized his expression and he seemed...disappointed? 

 

"Anyway, since you're here, you might as well help me" I said, quickly coming up with an excuse in my head and walking over to the closet.

 

Kai followed suit as I opened the cabinet.

 

"You said you're staying tonight, yes? Here are some clothes you can change into. Find yourself one that you'll be comfortable in" I explained.

 

Finally, these clothes will be used. I held my breath in anticipation of what he thinks of the designs that I picked out.

 

"Why do you have so much guy clothes?" Kai tilted his head.

 

I mentally facepalmed myself. This clueless guy...

 

"Does...Kris sleep here?" he suddenly asked in a thinning voice.

 

"Wh-what?! No! Geez, Kai. What are you thinking?!" I exclaimed, "I bought all of these myself."

 

He seemed to ponder on it for a moment.

 

"Oh I see," he gasped, "is this the real you? I'm sorry, I never really noticed. Now I know why you're so annoyed whenever I ask if Kris or Minseok is your boyfriend. So you're not really into guys..."

 

I literally whacked the back of his head.

 

"Ok, for the record, I like guys. Just because I bought men's clothes doesn't mean I wear them. I...," I breathed out, "...bought these for you."

 

"For...me?" Kai blinked. He carefully eyed each of the designs. "So you waited for me?"

 

"N-no," I gulped, "I just bought a few just in case you somehow ended up on the lawn again."

 

"A few?" he chuckled as he counted the many hangers.

 

"Ya, why are you laughing? You don't like the designs? Sorry, I'm not good with fashion stuff. Kris had a bit of input..."

 

"I like them. Even if you give me a garbage bag I'd probably like it knowing that you prepared it for me all this time!" he said.

 

My cheeks felt warm for some reason.

 

"Oh, Dooly!" he exclaimed and pulled out a shirt with a little green dinosaur at the front. I remember I was about to leave the boutique then when my eye caught that cute shirt. Now I see going back to buy it is worth it.

 

In the blink of an eye, Kai removed it from the hanger and took of his shirt.

 

"Ya! What do you think you're doing?!" I panicked as I covered my eyes.

 

"Omo omo sorry," he exclaimed as he quickly put his shirt back, "I forgot that I wasn't at my house."

 

I slowly uncovered my eyes and felt my cheeks burning up even more.

 

He walked out of the room with the shirt in his hand, fidgeting at the doorway. "Umm...good night, Haneul. Th-thanks for the shirt"  he said before hurriedly closing the door.

 

 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 

 

"Good morning, Jjang Haneul!" Kai greeted as usual upon seeing me walking into the living room. He's been doing that for the past week that he's here and honestly...I could get used to it. It never fails to make me smile and feel energized for the day. I'm so glad he hasn't left.

 

"And happy day-off!" he cheerfully added, as if it were a birthday greeting.

 

"Morning, Ka--Kai?" I stopped rubbing my eyes and saw a heap of clothes covering his face as he walked to and from the room.

 

"Oh, I'm doing the laundry" he explained when he saw my confused expression.

 

"But you still have a lot of new shirts in my closet! Wait...are those my uniforms?!" I gasped. I don't have a washing machine. What's he doing?

 

"Ah, yes. The shirts I've worn are all white so I figured I'll include the uniforms in your bathroom hamper too. Save water, save time!" he beamed, lowering the pile of clothes in his hand and revealing his disheveled hair.

 

"You didn't have to..."

 

"But it will really save water!" he continued to grin.

 

"Well then, at least let me help you, ok?" I smiled, touched by his innocent gesture.

 

I walked up to him to take some of the shirts from his hands but to my surprise, he backed away.

 

"Ah, it's quite sunny today so I can't stop perspiring. Don't come close or you'll smell bad like me!" he said.

 

I chuckled when I realized what he said.

 

"Don't be ridiculous!" I chuckled as I quickly took half of the pile, "All humans perspire. That's what baths are for. The human version of laundry."

 

He laughed at what I said and I did the same as we walked to the backdoor.

 

"Do you want me to get you a new shirt inside first so that you can include that one in the laundry?" I motioned to the one he was wearing.

 

"Ah no, I wore this again on purpose since it'll be a waste if I perspire on a new shirt under this much sun. Besides, Dooly is really cute, right?" he grinned with that boyish, charming smile of his.

 

"Hmm...I can think of cuter things" I joked.

 

Again, he gave that smile that shames the sun. "Like me?"

 

"Oh, shut up" I huffed as I proceeded to the laundry area.

 

There were already prepared basins since Kai already started with the laundry. We started washing the rest of the clothes, but my hair kept on getting on face so I tied it up with the blue scrunchy I kept on my wrist.

 

As I added more clothes into my basin, I could see from my peripheral vision how Kai keeps trying to move the hair that are sticking to his face. The weather is really warm today. Some detergent bubbles are already getting onto his forehead and it made me laugh.

 

"Hold on a second" I said before removing my gloves and going inside the house to retrieve something.

 

"Where did you go?" Kai asked once I returned.

 

"Just went inside to get this" I held out a scrunchy that is the same shade of blue as the one in my hair.

 

"But your hair is already tied up" he pointed out.

 

"I know" I giggled as I approached him and collected his fringes into my left hand, tying them up with the blue tie.

 

"Aigoo, you look like a poodle" I chuckled, admiring my handiwork. His hair pointed up into a short front ponytail.

 

"Doesn't this make me look like a babo?" he pouted.

 

"Of course not! You look cute. And I'm the only one here anyway" I reassured him.

 

His expression changed like a light switch and he became a grinning boy again. "You think I'm cute? See!"

 

"Uhh...ahh! We should hurry up so we can have breakfast. I'm hungry!" I quickly evaded.

 

He just gave me a knowing smile and nodded. "Matchy-matchy~" he hummed.

 

We continued with our work, now with no interference from unruly hair strands. Just light-hearted conversations over the sound of bubbling water.

 

We finished hanging everything up and went inside to prepare breakfast. Just as I was taking out some eggs, the doorbell rang making me drop one on the floor out of surprise.

 

"Kai, can you get the door?" I asked while pulling some paper towels to clean the mess with. He hurriedly obliged.

 

"Huh? This is unit 11, isn't it? I can't be mistaken..." I heard a familiar voice from the entrance.

 

"Ah, I know your face. You have pictures in Haneul's phone. You're Hyosung!" Kai greeted.

 

I gasped. I completely forgot that I've made arrangements with Hyosung on my day-off. I quickly chucked the paper towels into the trash bin and ran to meet her.

 

"Hyosung-ah! Uhh...this is my friend, Kai" I said breathlessly.

 

"Hi, I'm Kai" he repeated.

 

"Nice to meet you~~~" Hyosung chimed, subtly wagging her eyebrows at me.

 

"Hey Kai, I'll just talk to Hyosung for a few seconds" I blurted out before pulling Hyosung into the kitchen.

 

"Sooo..." she grinned.

 

"What's with the eyebrow wagging? I know what you're thinking and you're wrong" I told her, placing my hands on my hips like a kid throwing a tantrum.

 

"I didn't say anything" she winked.

 

"You don't have to. I know that look!" I whined.

 

"Whatever you say, Han-han," she laughed dismissively, making me pout.

 

"Well anyway, I brought what you asked for," she said holding up a paper bag with drama CDs peeking through, "and I also brought chicken!"

 

My eyes rounded at the word 'chicken'. "You are the best, Hyosung-ah!"

 

We set the chicken on the table and called out Kai to join us.

 

"How were you able to cook so fast?!" he gasped at the chicken on the center plate.

 

"Hyosung brought it in. Cooked. From a restaurant" I laughed.

 

He made an "ah" with his mouth and took his usual seat across from me.

 

"Aigoo, silly" Hyosung also laughed and pulled her chair closer to Kai, "you are too cute."

 

I felt my eyebrows twitching oddly but shrugged it off and just focused on eating.

 

"Oh look at your shirt, it's Dooly! So cute" Hyosung chimed and reached out to touch the printed fabric on Kai's chest.

 

I choked on my food. Jeon. Hyo. Sung. What are you doing?

 

"Haneul!" Kai hurriedly stood up and ran to the kitchen. He came back in an equal rush with a glass of water in his hand.

 

"Slow down, the chicken won't escape" he joked as he made me drink up.

 

"I don't think it's the chicken she's worried about" Hyosung commented, wagging her eyebrows yet again.

 

"What are you talking about?" I asked innocently, pausing in between gulps.

 

"Nothing! Let's go back to eating, shall we? C'mon, Kai. Sit down" she patted the empty seat and Kai obliged.

 

"Aww, you tell Haneul to take it easy on the chicken, but look at you. There's rice all over your cheek" she commented.

 

I took another sip of water to hide my smile. Kai always eats like that. He was already like that the first day I met him. It's one of the reasons why I call him kiddo, only for him to pout and insist that he's an oppa.

 

Hyosung slowly wiped Kai's cheeks with her hand, the way I usually do. My smile froze and I set the glass down on the table. I meant to do it gently, but the loud bang on the wood made both of them jump slightly.

 

"I think that's enough."