Get Used To It

Kai from the Sky

Let us all include the Sewol ferry incident's victims and their families in our prayers. I hope more survivors can be found so that their loved ones may finally have them back in their arms :((

 

 

 

I woke up to the ringing of my alarm clock and stretched my arms out with a smile. Usually I'd curse the blasted thing for its annoying decibels, but probably I already got used to it. Or maybe I just had a good night's sleep.

 

I went straight into the bathroom to freshen up and shrugged into my uniform. I was still rubbing my eyes on the way to the living room when I saw Kai's sleeping form on the couch, still covered with the princess blanket. For a second, I gasped in surprise. Well that's something I need to get used to: not being alone in the house anymore. 

 

Or should I not let myself get used to it so that it would hurt less when he has to go?

 

"Focus on the important things first, Haneul" I breathed as I made my way to the kitchen to grab a couple of biscuits as I usually do in the morning.

 

As I munched on one on the way out the door, I paused in front of the couch. What if he wakes up hungry and injures himself at the kitchen? The clock says I still have 20 extra minutes. That'll do.

 

I quickly went back into the kitchen to fill the rice cooker and fry some eggs and sausages. I've been saving them since they're worth a lot more than my usual ramyun dinner, but I guess it's ok. Kai seems to be the type who prefers meat on his plate. I covered everything on the table and left a note that I'll be back after my shift at the cafe and that he can check the cupboards anytime he's hungry. Do I sound like a mom or something? Aigoo.

 

I made it to class at the usual time...which is often around the same time as Chanyeol. But five, ten, fifteen minutes passed by yet the seat beside me was still empty. The teacher came in and began the roll call. Oh geez, he's going to be late for it.

 

"Park Sanghyun?"

 

"Here."

 

"Park Jimin?"

 

"Present."

 

His name is next, oh no.

 

"Kim Minseok?"

 

Wait, why did Chanyeol's name get skipped?

 

"Oh, it's the first time Mr. Kim has ever been absent," murmured the teacher, "how odd for such a diligent student. Do you happen to know what happened to him, Haneul?"

 

It took me a while to realize that my name had been called. "No, sir" I replied blankly. I was too busy wrapping my mind around the fact that he skipped Chanyeol's name. Everyone gets called. Maybe it's because he already saw that the seat was empty. Maybe. It's still odd that no one is pointing out the teacher's error. Perhaps no one's paying attention? Something's really out of place.

 

The teacher had finished roll call as I talked to my own brain. He proceeded to the lesson, but I couldn't help but look at the empty seat beside me. I had to swallow a scream when the bell rang and jolted me out of my thoughts. Way to go, Haneul. You didn't listen to the discussion at all. May your grades rest in peace.

 

I slung my bag around my arm and went for the door, but I still can't help but stare at Chanyeol's seat. Did his mother ground him for drinking? Or did he get a hangover again and couldn't make it out of bed? What happened to him?

 

"Don't look for him" came Kris's voice from behind me. I scowled in reply. He's the one who treated me rudely yesterday yet his tone of speaking sounds as if I did something wrong.

 

I huffed and turned to leave. If he can't fix his attitude, then talking to him would never end anywhere good.

 

"He won't be around any time soon," he continued to call out, "so get used to it."