Trust

Kai from the Sky

"Still can't tie those apron strings until now? Looks like I'll never see you get over that ribbon" Chen laughed at me.

 

"Sssh, I'm making progress" I chuckled as I finally looped through the ribbon successfully.

 

"Haneul, table 3 asked for you" Tao came through the door.

 

"What do you mean?" I asked.

 

"Wouldn't order if it's not Ms. Jang Haneul" Tao replied with a mocking tone.

 

I exhaled slowly. "It's Kris, isn't it?"

 

He nodded. "Are you two still not in good terms?"

 

"We're kind of...in worse terms now."

 

Because he had been lying to me about Chanyeol all this time. Withholding the truth is synonymous to lying isn't it?

 

I went out and replaced my frown with my most professional smile. 

 

"Good afternoon, sir. What would you like to have?" I said.

 

"Your attention" he replied.

 

"Umm...how about something from our menu, sir?" I gritted through my teeth, still smiling.

 

He rubbed his temples in frustration. "Mocha Java."

 

"The usual then" I nodded as I penned down his order and motioned to leave.

 

"Haneul, wait" he called out, grabbing my wrist.

 

I brushed off his hand, but maintained my smile to prevent arousing suspicion from the other customers.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry. Is there something else you wanted to add, sir?" I asked.

 

"Haneul," he breathed out uneasily, "don't trust anyone."

 

"Yeah, you kind of delivered the message perfectly by lying about Chanyeol. Don't worry, I no longer trust people like...hmm, let me think, you."

 

"I know. You're right. You shouldn't trust me. Never trust me. But never trust others either" he whispered, looking from left to right as if to make sure that no one is listening.

 

"Right" I rolled my eyes and left him. What's with the sudden preaching? Of all people, I don't think he's qualified to tell me who to trust and who not to.

 

"Mocha Java again?" Chen confirmed as he read out the order slip.

 

I gave him a lifeless nod. Kris sure knows how to drain positive energy from people.

 

"Well, I'll make it extra special this time since it will be the last Mocha Java I'll be preparing for your boyfriend over there" Chen chuckled. He's quite happy today.

 

"I told you he's not my...wait, what do you mean? You don't plan to poison him or something, do you?" I asked.

 

"Babo. No, it's just that...it's my last day on the job today. Mr. Bang allowed me to resign and pursue the scholarship" he explained.

 

"Wow, that's good for you. I will miss your jokes though, Chen," I pouted, "I wonder what you did to make him approve."

 

"Just my jokes? How about my beautiful, sculpted face? Just kidding," he laughed as he usually does, "I didn't exactly do anything. Let's just say that the universe is being very cooperative."

 

"And by that you mean?"

 

"Mr. Bang received an application for the barista post. He says the applicant had a rather impressive background in coffee-making so he immediately hired him since he knew that I'd be leaving. Talk about coincidence" he explained.

 

"Yeah, the universe must love you so much. But oh, probably not since dinosaurs became extinct ages ago. The universe killed your entire race!" I feigned a gasp.

 

"Yah! Is that the way to treat me on my last day? Tao's attitude has been rubbing off on you" he chuckled.

 

"Haneul, can you come over to my office for a minute?" Mr. Bang suddenly called out.

 

"Uh-oh, you're in trouble" Chen grinned.

 

I stuck my tongue out at him and proceeded to the manager's office. Tao was there too.

 

"So, I called the two of you because I was wondering if you could stay later after closing time" Mr. Bang began.

 

"What for, sir?" Tao pouted.

 

"I'd like to throw a surprise party for Chen. Well, I assume he has told you both that it's his last day today. He has been my employee for the longest time and now that he has to go, it's...pretty much a big deal for me" he said and smiled with very tight lips. Mr. Bang spends time getting to know his employees, unlike most managers, so Chen's departure must be personal for him.

 

"That's a great idea! Oh man, I'll miss that dinosaur so much now that I think of it. Of course I can stay, sir" Tao immediately obliged.

 

"How about you, Haneul?" the manager directed his attention to me.

 

Oh no, I can't just leave Kai waiting. He knows that I get home at 10PM. Who knows what might happen to him? And how is he going to eat dinner if I don't come home?

 

"Sir..I am not very sure if I can..." I mumbled.

 

"But it's Chen's last day!" Tao whined, "you'll never see him again after today."

 

My forehead was forming creases from the cognitive dissonance.

 

Tao is right. It's only for today. But how about Kai?

 

Ah, maybe I can ask Kris to bring him dinner? So much for my pride. It's ok, Haneul. Either you swallow that pride or Kai goes hungry and worried. My pride is ok.

 

"Alright, count me in, Mr. Bang" I nodded.

 

"Great! So all five of us will be there" Mr. Bang grinned with his usual gummy smile.

 

Me, Tao, Chen, Mr. Bang...that's four.

 

"Is someone else coming? From another shift maybe?" Tao asked what I had in mind.

 

"Ah no, the crew from the morning shift have never met Chen anyway. I invited Chen's replacement to the party so that you can get acquainted with him already" he explained.

 

"He's going to arrive around closing time," Mr. Bang continued, "ok, now go before Chen suspects something!"

 

Time to talk to Kris. Let's see if I can trust him again at the expense of my ego. For Kai.