Other Friend

Kai from the Sky

"This isn't part of my job description. If you want to, you can wish for a babysitter through the notebook" Kris said, casually stretching on his chair now that all the customers have left.

 

"It's just for tonight. You really want me to use the notebook for it?" I argued.

 

"If he's important to you then why not? You even used a page to wish for Chanyeol to get well" he snickered.

 

"Right," I nodded, "if you're that excited to get to your next assignment, maybe I'll just finish up the notebook's pages as quickly as I can. Write random wishes. Ask for a cup of ramyun on a page and a can of juice on another."

 

Kris looked down, his face hidden by the shadows of his fringes.

 

"If that's what you want. After all, you're just...an assignment" he mumbled low, but I heard it clearly.

 

"Of c-course...just an assignment. That's what you do. Helpful fellows. I just really needed help from a friend, not an angel, and...you're the only one I have" I replied, my voice shaking unintentionally as I walked back into the kitchen. Somehow it hurt somewhere to hear that one of the few people I have in my life right now simply thought of me as an assignment. But it's true, isn't it?

 

Haneul, you are really lacking in normal friends in life, huh? One is about to leave for a miraculous scholarship, one fell out of the sky, and one is an angel who is only thinks of you as an assignment. You need other friends.

 

I closed the door behind me and started wiping the kitchen counters.

 

The door creaked open even before I was done with one counter.

 

"What's the nearest takeout place?" came a low voice from behind me. I spun around and blinked at Kris, who sighed in response.

 

"I think there's a Japanese resto two blocks from here" he continued, scratching his head awkwardly, "maybe Kai likes that or something?"

 

I couldn't help but pout and hit him on the arm.

 

"Thank you, Kris" I said, giving him a quick bear hug.

 

"I uh yeah sure of course no problem I yeah Japanese resto great I'll go now bye" he replied suddenly running out of the kitchen.

 

Tao came in just as Kris left. 

 

"Hey Haneul, kitchen's for employees only. What was Kris doing and why does he look like he's being chased by an avalanche?" Tao asked.

 

I shrugged. "I really don't know. He just sort of...ran away? Weird guy."

 

"Oh well, come out already. Chen is about to get out of the manager's office so we all have to be in front of the door to surprise him. Your friend brought cake. Let's light it up" he instructed.

 

"Huh? Who brought cake? Kris?" I inquired, clearly puzzled.

 

"No no, not Kris. Your other friend from school whom you always talk about" he declared as if it was meant to explain everything.

 

"I don't even talk about anyone..." I mumbled.

 

"Ah, so you didn't know he'll work here? He didn't tell you? Oh darn, it's probably supposed to be a surprise! I ruined it" he pouted.

 

"You mean Chen's replacement?"

 

Tao nodded.

 

"Don't worry, you didn't ruin anything because I have no idea who you're talking about" I said as he dragged me out the door.

 

"Wait wait, you said we need to light some candles. I'll just go get a lighter. I'll be there in a sec" I told him.

 

"Lighter, lighter, lighter," I repeated to myself as I scoured the kitchen cabinets, "aha! There you are!"

 

"Alright!" I called out as I stepped out of the door, "here's the lighter. Let's prepare those cand--"

 

Holding the cake out in front of me is Chen's miraculous replacement barista.

 

"Here" he said with a child-like grin.

 

"Mr. Kim?"