Don't Go

Kai from the Sky

Hi! ^_^ Ok, I wasn't supposed to put this up yet because I wasn't done typing, but rushed it since you guys are asking for more Kai. I know that the title of the fic itself implies that he's a main character, but I have a reason for putting the other characters first before him. I write stories in such a way that the plot is established first, instead of suddenly injecting a new plot by introducing new characters in the middle.

In my past fic, I always considered comments in order to cater to the readers' requests, so that they'll be happy with the next chapters. I am still doing this for Kai from the Sky. I would like you to know that I appreciate comments very much. However, I really wish to establish the storyline nicely first, so please be patient with me.

And actually, this chapter is the start of Kai's permanent appearance, so I guess I was just one chapter late with responding to your requests. But still, sorry for making you wait!

I hope you understand! I just don't want the quality of the story to suffer. Thank you! >_<



I stopped by the front door to fish out the house keys from my pocket. Midway through lodging it into the doorknob, I paused.

"Remind me again why we brought him here" I told Kris, who had Chanyeol dozing off on his back.

"Because we both don't know where Chanyeol lives and it seems like a bad idea to greet his mom with a drunk son" he replied.

"But my house is so dusty. It's embarrasing! Why can't we bring him to your place instead?" I whined.

"Umm," Kris pretended to ponder, "I'm pretty sure he'll be more comfortable seeing dust than people with wings."

True. I sighed. "Alright then, here goes nothing."

I had fully inserted the key when the door suddenly swung open by itself, making me almost squeal in surprise.

"Freeze! Don't scream!" Kai said from behind the door.

"Kai?! You're back?" I blinked.

"I...guess?" he blinked back.

My shoulders dropped as I relaxed to find out that it was him and not a burglar.

"Can you please stop yelling 'Freeze'? That's only for the police' I told him.

"Oh, ok. I just hear it a lot on TV" he scratched the back of his head.

"Are you guys done with your mini reunion there?" Kris hollered, "this human being on my back is pretty heavy, you know."

"Oh!" I exclaimed, pushing the door wide open to let him in, "you can put him down on the couch."

Kris did as told.

"Are you hurt anywhere?" I asked.

"He's pretty heavy, but I'm ok" Kris replied.

"Uh, not you, giant. I'm sure your kind is durable. Kai, are you hurt anywhere?" I repeated.

"Ah no, I'm fine. I teleported to my bedroom this time so it was much safer than the highway" he smiled as if it were a natural thing to talk about teleporting to dangerous highways.

"That's good to know" I said, but my attention is now on the boy sleeping on the couch. I squat down to examine his face. The puffiness of his eyes was usually charming, but it's painful to look at this time. Why were you crying, Chanyeol?

"I'll go get water" I announced as I left for the kitchen.

I filled up a glass ang was on my way back when I thought of something. I proceeded to the bathroom and opened the medicine cabinet to get some aspirin. He'll probably need it.

I was near the living room when I heard Chanyeol's still a tad too loud voice.

"Agh...did someone hit me on the head with a sledgehammer? Oh...are those wings?" he asked with a chuckle. I ran over to see him pointing at Kris.

I turned to Kris with wide eyes.

"He's still under the influence of alcohol. Probably...hallucinating" he reasoned for Kai's sake.

"Chanyeol-ssi, please drink this" I handed him the aspirin and water. After chugging it down, he pointed to Kai.

"Yejin-ah, who is that?"

"Chanyeol-ssi, I told you I'm Haneul. And that is Kai. My...uhh...friend?" I said.
 

Kai was merely blinking at Chanyeol as if he didn't know what to do. Well, from my experience with him this morning, he still needs a lot of training in the social life department. And not from the TV. I bobbed my head at him to signal that he introduce himself.

He understood...somewhat.

"Oh, I'm sorry" Kai said nervously, and he slowly bent from the knee and did a royal bow on the floow, "my name is Kim Kai."

Darnit, Kai. I just told you to not do everything you see on TV. Chanyeol looked utterly confused while Kris was facepalming himself.

"Ha ha..ha...was there something on the floor, Kai?" I said as an awkward excuse as I pulled him up by his shirt, "don't worry. i'll sweep the floor later. No need to pick up the dirt!"

Luckily, Chanyeol seemed to dismiss the matter because he was clutching his head in pain.

"I think the aspirin hasn't kicked in yet. Get some rest, Chanyeol-ssi" I told him. He nodded wordlessly and groggily before plopping back down on the couch.

My eyes wandered around the house as I exhaled the breath I had been holding. I caught sight of the clock and...

"Omo! My shift at the cafe starts in fifteen minutes!" I exclaimed.

"Then go now" Kris said.

"How am I supposed to get there in time? And I can't leave you three here in my house" I pulled at my hair in panic.

"If you go now, you'll make it. Go. I'll watch over Chanyeol" Kris reassured but with a roll of his eyes.

"Alright, I'll just get my uniform and leave" I started towards my room. But then I heard Kai gasp and pull at my arm.

I turned to look at him to find a pair of scared and uncertain eyes. I almost forgot. I'm the only one he knows in here.

"Make yourself comfortable here, Kai. I'll be back at 10PM" I said as he slowly let go of my arm.

I was about to turn on my heels when he spoke.

"Kajima" he whispered.

I watched his frail expression and sighed.

"Kai, I told you to stop imitating shows. You're making me feel guilty" I told him.

"Ya! Go now. He's not under your responsibility so there's no need to feel guilty" Kris chided.

"But I can't leave with him going all Werewolf Boy on me!" I pouted.

 

[A/N] Just in case you haven't watched that movie (please do...and make sure to prepare a lot of tissue), here's Song Joong Ki acting out that "kajima" part:

 

"Whatever. If you want to lose your source of income that badly, suit yourself" Kris shrugged.

I took out my phone and searched for Mr. Bang's number on the contact list.

"Hello, Mr. Bang? This is Haneul. I'm sorry, but there's an...," I locked my gaze on Kai, "emergency in my house so I can't make it to my shift."

"Emergency" I heard Kris scoff and I glared at him in warning.

"The cafe is actually pretty jampacked tonight, but maybe Tao will agree to cover for you" Mr. Bang said.

"I'm really very sorry for the trouble, Mr. Bang" I apologized.

"I understand since you said it's an emergency. Hold on the line. I'll talk to Tao first" he said.

I heard the creaking of a door over the phone and the ambient music of the cafe piping in. I listened as Mr. Bang talked to Tao and the latter replied with 'But I was ready to go home already! Aish, that girl!' He continued to whine and protest as Mr. Bang got back on the line.

"I think Tao doesn't want to comply. I'm sorry Haneul, but unless he covers for you, you'll have to come because our hands are full and the policy is that absences must be announced at least a day before as much as possible" he said.

I sighed and thanked Mr. Bang for his effort.

"D-did he let you stay?" Kai was first to ask.

"Unfortunately, no. I can't be absent unless Tao covers for me, but he didn't listen to him" I said.

Kris snickered. "Did you say Tao?"

I nodded.

"Well, I know who he would listen to" Kris said, about to walk to the door.

"Kris, stop scaring him. He already said he was sorry for what he tried to do" I berated.

"Do you want to watch over Chanyeol or not?" he asked. He's using the Chanyeol card on me again. But nah, not this time.

"He's just sleeping and you said you can watch over him" I answered.

"But Haneul..." Kai tugged on my arm again, the disappointment evident on his face.

I really can't leave him with strangers. Surprise, suprise. The Kai card seems stronger this time.

I nodded in resignation and turned to Kris. "Tao's about to leave the cafe already though. I don't think it's possible to get there in only--"

"Have you forgotten?" Kris chuckled, stepping closer to me and whispering, "Tinkerbell can fly."