Be With You

Kai from the Sky

"Last order then we can wrap up and marry the beautiful Friday night~" Tao chimed, wagging his eyebrows as he handed me a slip, "Mocha Java to go. And he requests you deliver it yourself to his table."

 

"As usual," I rolled my eyes as I let out a small chuckle, "you know, I may be new in being a barista but I think I can make Mocha Java while asleep, with my hands tied behind my back."

 

"Well, that's one good thing then from Kris's consistent orders every night. At least you have a specialty to go on your resume -- Mocha Java that makes scary, frowning man turn into a happy rainbow unicorn."

 

"What?" I guffawed at his description, "Scary, frowning man...still afraid of Kris after all this time? He means well. Just try to see past his face of doom."

 

"Yeah, yeah," Tao dismissed, "still not dating him?"

 

I paused midway through pressing beans. "Do you really have to ask that every night? The answer won't change. No, we're only classmates. And friends."

 

"Well, tell him to go get a hobby or something. Because friends don't sit in cafes, ordering the same thing over and over again, just to wait until he can walk you home" he answered before starting to pile some used saucers.

 

It's angel stuff, Tao. Ignorance is bliss.

 

"I mean, it's difficult for a girl and a guy to remain just friends when they're super close like you two. Unless..." he paused to eye me with scrutiny. 

 

"Unless?" I raised a brow while pouring some milk carefully. 

 

"Unless you're already in love with someone else" he said.

 

His words triggered a jolt in my chest and made me spill some milk on the counter.

 

"You reacted! So it's true!" he giddily jumped, eager to hear more.

 

Maybe I also wish I can tell more, but the beautiful smiling face that appeared in my mind is no more than a memory. A memory that I've been holding on to for eight months now.

 

"Tao," I exhaled while reaching for a kitchen towel and wiping the mess, "you and I are friends but that doesn't mean I'm in love with you or something, right? It doesn't always have to go beyond friendship."

 

I could see from the edge of my vision that he cringed and I laughed. I purposefully chose those words to make him quit the topic.

 

"But you called me a pretty lady when we first met though" I wagged my brows to continue annoying him and it worked perfectly.

 

"Fine! I'll bring the Mocha Java to Kris again. This girl..." he pouted as he took the prepared cup from me.

 

--

 

"I keep telling Tao to make you bring my order and he never listens" Kris sighed as he took a final sip from the paper cup.

 

It's only been two seconds since we stepped out of the closed cafe yet he's already started whining.

 

"Because that's not within protocol. I'm a barista now so I just stay inside. The most I can do is call out your name and you'll be the one to come and claim it" I explained.

 

"We'll do that next time then" he said firmly.

 

"Ok," I nodded, "Mocha Java for Tinkerbell! Mocha Java for Tinkerbell!"

 

"Ya!" Kris frowned as usual, earning a laugh from me.

 

"Well, hurry up" I continued giggling, "look at the time. I still have to study."

 

The sound of his footsteps disappeared so I turned to check why he stopped in his tracks.

 

"You want me to hurry? Alright then" he said, suddenly grabbing me and carrying me up.

 

Up.

 

Up.

 

Up into the sky, I swallowed a scream as Kris laughed at my expression.

 

"Holy...why are we flying?!" I shouted against the gush of wind.

 

"Because you said it yourself. I am Tinkerbell. This is how Tinkerbell gets his revenge" he smirked.

 

"Well," I gulped, "your revenge plan failed because I'm not afraid of heights."

 

"Really? Ok" he shrugged before soaring even higher up.

 

I kept as still as I can, but Kris just laughed at me.

 

"What's funny?" I frowned.

 

"You said you're not afraid of heights. Why are you squishing my back like a lifeline?" he snickered.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry if I'm taking precaution. I've never flown before. I don't have those...spirit wings you have" I frowned even deeper.

 

"Quit frowning and just enjoy the view, Haneul" he said.

 

Haneul. Such a common name. But now that I can feel the sky in my face, I thank my parents even more for it.

 

"Who knew the city lights can be so mesmerizing?" I mumbled in awe of the view below.

 

Kris remained silent so I craned my neck to look at him, only to find him already staring.

 

"What?" I frowned again.

 

He just sighed and looked away.

 

After a while, a thought occured to me. "Aren't you going to get in trouble for this? Other people might see us!"

 

"Not if no one sees us. Don't worry. We're too far up that they'll think we're a bird or something" he replied, looking at me again.

 

"Oh, alright. That makes perfect se---- plane!!!" I screamed as I met eyes with a shocked pilot from a plane in front.

 

Kris immediately swerved right, fast enough that I could no longer check how the pilot took in the sight of us.

 

"So much for not getting into trouble" I mumbled as we descended on my front lawn.

 

Kris gently put me down as I fumbled for the house keys in my bag. A yawn escaped my lips as I opened the door.

 

"You should go straight to sleep. You still have the entire weekend to study" he suggested.

 

"Sounds like a good idea" I nodded.

 

"And you'll be able to concentrate better since I won't be around" he added.

 

"Well, that's new. Why? You have somewhere to go to?" I inquired.

 

"Not like I have a choice actually. But the pilot saw us flying so..." Kris trailed off.

 

"So you'll be in trouble with your elders?" I frowned, recalling the many stories he shared about them. But that's for another day. For now, let's just say I'm not exactly happy about a certain elder in angel-dom.

 

Kris nodded, "I'll be suspended from duty for a while and receive some disciplinary stuff."

 

"You shouldn't have started flying in the first place" I said.

 

"Well, you had fun, didn't you?" he asked.

 

"Honestly, yes. It was the most beautiful view of the city," I smiled, "but still! Now you're in trouble and---"

 

"Then it doesn't matter. At least I got to be with you" Kris finished before flying off into the velvet night sky.

 

I stood dumbfounded and puzzled by the front door for a few seconds before finally going inside. I went straight to my room and opened my bag, taking out a few little shopping bags I got from Myeongdong earlier.

 

"Maybe Kris is right. It is stupid of me to keep on buying clothes that might never even be worn" I muttered to myself as I opened each bag.

 

I carefully hung each shirt and pair of pants in the dresser.

 

"Aigoo," I sighed as I smoothed out the other shirts hung inside, which I purchased over the past eight months, "it will be such a waste if I estimated the wrong size!"

 

Taking one last look at all the clothes, I closed the cabinet and lay my head on its door.

 

"I still hope you can come back to wear them all. I still hope...to be with you again."