Window

Kai from the Sky

The window. That's where Kris's attention was. He seemed to be looking for a trace of something past that window. The deeper the creases on his forehead become, the tighter his grip on my wrist.

 

"What is wrong with you again?!" I asked as I tried to wiggle free.

 

"Sssh" was his reply, gripping my wrist even tighter. I winced instinctively.

 

All of a sudden, he released my hand as he went toppling to one side, clutching the curtain for balance. It took me a second to realize that he had been shoved to the side while he was not paying attention.

 

"What did you do that for?!" Kris bellowed at Kai as he attempted to stand up with the aid of the drapes.

 

"Is that all you do whenever you're here? Hurt Haneul?" Kai inquired in a mocking tone.

 

"No, sometimes I'm also here to bring you damn food and act as your babysitter!" Kris spat angrily.

 

"Like I said, I don't need food from someone with your ego" Kai replied.

 

"Oh, so I'm the one with an ego now? Who's starving himself just to make a point that he doesn't need help?" Kris answered.

 

I turned to Kai and noticed that he was pale on the edges.

 

"Don't tell me you haven't eaten?" I gasped.

 

"Not until he apologizes to you for what he did before. And now" Kai said firmly despite his apparent lack of stamina.

 

"Kai, no you shouldn't have..." my brain could not decide which words to say so I resorted to a sigh.

 

"Kris, thank you for granting my favor, but is it ok if I talk to Kai alone?"

 

Kris slowly released my hand. "Yeah, of course. I was just leaving."

 

Once he stepped out the door, I threw a reprimanding glare at Kai.

 

"Wh-what did I do?" he asked, defensively stepping an inch away.

 

One second he was acting all high and mighty on Kris, then the next he's this ball of cotton candy again.

 

"It's what you did not do. I asked Kris to bring you food. You should have eaten. Look at you!" I exclaimed as I pat his pale cheek. 

 

"How was the party?" he inquired in an over-interested manner.

 

"It was ok."

 

"What did you do there?" he continued.

 

"Nothing much we just...hey! You're trying to avoid the topic! You can't get away like that" I said as I reached for his shoulders and twirled him facing away from me, "go eat."

 

I pushed at him by the shoulders in a choo-choo train formation and he obliged.

 

"Choo-choo~" he laughed as he made engine sounds as we made our way to the kitchen.

 

"You kiddo" I chuckled along.

 

"I think I'm actually older than you" he said.

 

"Hm? I'm pretty old for a highschooler, you know..." I trailed off, not wanting to expose that I had to skip school several times for lack of sponsors at the orphanage.

 

"Still, you can't be 21. You don't look 21" he said.

 

"Well, yes I guess you're older then" I nodded even if he cannot see.

 

He suddenly stopped walking and went behind me, holding me by the shoulders as I did to him.

 

"Yup! I'm older. So I get to push you. Choo-choo~"

 

We laughed together and it was a very lighthearted atmosphere. But somewhere through the window, I had the heavy feeling of being stared at with disapproval.