Focus

Kai from the Sky

Kai was seated right across from me on the floor, obediently mimicking the way me legs were crossed. We had given up searching on YouTube in my phone about relaxation, meditation, and yoga. One, the screen was quite small so the videos were difficult to watch. Two, the ads were annoying my wits out. Three, Kai can't stop giggling at the foreign accents of the instructors. Hence, the said phone has now been chucked into the couch mattress by a then sighing Haneul.

 

So, it's just the two of us again.

 

"Back at the orphanage," I began, "whenever we got into fights, they will call us into a room to sit like this. Then, we do these relaxation exercises to calm down our extreme emotions and rechannel them into positive ones."

 

"Whoa~" Kai reacted.

 

"I haven't even said anything useful yet, this kiddo. Focus!" I laughed.

 

"Kiddo? I think you forgot that I'm your oppa" he said.

 

"Wha-- you're older than me alright" I agreed.

 

"I'm your oppa" he nodded.

 

"Let's just proceed with the exercises. Follow my voice, ok?" I digressed.

 

We closed our eyes and he did exactly as told. Inhale, hold, exhale. Together, we went into happy places in our head just as I used to do when I was younger. I opened one eye to check on him. He was concentrating very well. I fought the urge to keep on watching him. He looked so peaceful. Vulnerable, yet beautiful.

 

I shut my eyes close to stay focused on the goal. This is relaxation time, Haneul, not glue-your-eyes-to-your-little-crush time.

 

We continued the journey and it felt relaxing to imagine nature around us. As seconds turned to minutes, I slowly opened my eyes to check on Kai again.

 

"What are you doing?" I gasped as I found his face in front of mine.

 

He blinked and gasped as well. "I-I was just observing you to see if...uh...if I was doing the exercise correctly!"

 

"Well, you were doing fine a while ago. You should have continued with it" I answered.

 

"Really? So you were watching me?" he grinned.

 

"Umm...I was just checking if you were focusing well" I gulped.

 

"Ah, I was really focused at the start, but I kept on hearing this buzzing sound," he frowned, "there! Can you hear it?"

 

We followed the sound to find its source and were led to my vibrating phone stuffed into the couch.

 

16 missed calls from Minseok.

 

"What is it?" Kai turned to me. As if on cue, the door bell rang and I was greeted by the caller's face.

 

"Ya! Why weren't you picking your phone up?" he asked.

 

"I was doing something important so I didn't hear the phone" I replied.

 

"With him?" he pointed at Kai who was peeking from behind me with a disgruntled face.

 

"Aish, ruined the moment" I heard Kai mumble as he walked away.

 

"Anyway," Minseok continued, "I got your text. Day-offs are rare. Why don't you want to go out today? Are you ok?"

 

"I am perfectly fine" I said.

 

Actually, I WAS perfectly fine. Everything was perfect about the morning, but now I'm not sure where the day is headed. These two guys aren't in very good terms after all.

 

"Then let's go out!" Minseok beamed.

 

I turned to look at Kai's anticipating and pleading eyes.

 

Sigh. What do I do?

 

Focus, Haneul.