Time's Up

Kai from the Sky

I know, I know. It took me so long to update. If you readers wanted to stab me, I'd probably even offer sharpening services OTL 미안해~ㅠㅠ

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Tick tock, tick tock.

 

For the past week, I've been hearing that sound loud and clear. Isn't it enough how nerve wracking the exams are? The sound of the classroom's wall clock seems to emphasize how quickly the time runs out for me to decide whether I should encircle A, B, C, or D.

 

"Finalize your answers and get ready to hand in your papers" announced the proctor.

 

I took a deep breath and encircled my answer to the final question before handing my sheets in and exited to the hallway.

 

"I think I know now how the dinosaurs became extinct" Kris suddenly spoke, catching up with my pace.

 

"Hmm?" I replied nonchalantly as I nursed a mild headache.

 

"They were probably waiting for someone to finish a multiple choice exam, but it took so long that they just gave up on existence" he guffawed.

 

He earned an elbow to his rib. "I didn't tell you to wait for me."

 

"Well, I don't take orders from you anyway" he continued despite wincing in pain.

 

"Go away, Tinkerbell" I huffed, quickening my pace.

 

"I said I don't take orders from you" he answered. His long strides made my quickened pace futile.

 

I continued to walk with an unintentional frown. The throbbing in my head is becoming increasingly discomforting.

 

"Hey," Kris stopped me by the shoulder, "I was just kidding. Don't get so mad."

 

I shook my head and regretted it once the pain greeted me. "I'm not mad. Just having a headache of sorts."

 

"Let's go get some painkillers at the clinic" he said, tugging at my hand.

 

"No, I just want to go home" I told him.

 

"But you really--

 

"I'll be fine. I just need some rest" I said firmly but somewhat pleadingly.

 

He nodded and took my bag from me as usual. I did not refuse this time because I did not have the strength.

 

The walk home was quiet. Unusual, but I guess Kris understands I prefer very minimal noise.

 

"Aish" I stopped in my tracks as my vision blurred.

 

"Let's rest by that shed first" Kris said as he reached out to steady me.

 

As soon as I was seated, he took out his phone and motioned for me to wait. He returned in less than a minute.

 

"You're anemic??" he suddenly asked me.

 

I nodded carefully. "How did you know?"

 

"I just got off the phone with Chanyeol. Asked him for advice since I don't know why you're suddenly like that. It's...not really me expertise" he fidgeted.

 

"Chanyeol..." I mumbled, not used to hearing his name again after so long, "how is he?"

 

"The usual. Healing duties. He's now assigned to some girl who jumped off the school roof" he shook his head disapprovingly.

 

"That sounds terrible" I gasped.

 

"What's even more terrible is that she did that just because of a boy!" he exclaimed.

 

"Wow" I shook my head in disbelief.

 

I heard Kris snicker then. "Isn't that what you're doing too?"

 

"What do you mean?" I asked, taken aback by the accusation.

 

"You knew you were going to pull all-nighters on exam week. You knew you are anemic. So why didn't you take some iron meds?" he quizzed.

 

"You think I'm punishing myself on purpose? Of course not. It just so happened that I ran out of meds a few weeks ago" I defended.

 

"Then why didn't you get a new batch? What were you spending your hard-earned money on? On clothes that will never get worn and just rot in your closet? You, Haneul, are also killing yourself because of a boy" he declared with a huff, crossing his arms over his chest.

 

His words hit me squarely and made me feel like a complete idiot in front of him. Although it might be the truth, he didn't have to say it out loud. I was already aware of how stupid I was for holding on to someone who is not around.

 

"You know my 9th wish. In the notebook. I'm sure you know since it's your duty to track those" I said, taking a deep breath.

 

He gave a slight nod.

 

"That's the last I'll ever do for him. I've made up my mind, Kris. I'm trying to forget him now."

 

A few minutes of silence fell upon us. The only sound was the occasional rustle of leaves. It was broken by a sigh from Kris. He held out his hand to me and I just looked at it in confusion.

 

"I know a drug store nearby. There's a shortcut at the next corner. Let's go" he said. I understood and took his hand to stand up.

 

We walked in silence for a while.

 

"You should have just used the 10th page. Say...I wish I'll get an A on all of my exams for the rest of my life. You wouldn't need to lose sleep over your books ever. That's every student's dream come true" he mused.

 

"That's cheating. They're just exams. I can use my abilities for that. Besides, that will be my last wish. I wouldn't want to waste it" I explained.

 

"Why not? You were so eager to get rid of me before. When you use that last wish, I'll be gone too" he laughed bitterly.

 

"Kris, no I..." I whispered. I completely forgot that part of the situation. Now I think I'll never write anything on that page. Good thing he reminded me before it was too late. 

 

As if reading my mind, Kris suddenly spoke. "It's ok. You wouldn't really remember me anyway. For a few hours, yes. But once you fall asleep...and when you wake up the next day, your memories of me, and of angels in general, will be gone."

 

"Kris..." I called out, not knowing how to respond.

 

He just kept his gaze away and continued to walk in silence.

 

"But...how about you? Will you forget me too?" I asked, both curious and sad.

 

"Oh, there's the drug store. You go in. I'll just go buy a few things at the convenience store next door" he digressed and turned to go.

 

"Kris," I tugged at his arm, "answer me. Do angels forget too?"

 

He drew in a slow breath and exhaled it just as slowly.

 

"No, Haneul. We never do. We remember everything. I will remember you. For as long as eternity goes on."