Friend

Kai from the Sky

I'm sorry it took so long! I thought I had already posted this but it turns out that I forgot to un-hide it OTL 미안~



"You don't look like you're sick" Kris said without any preliminaries.

"Well, good morning to you too" I huffed, still standing ground by the door frame.

"Why would you skip class if you're not sick?" he bellowed.

"Ok, I guess you're not the type of person to respond to a polite greeting" I shrugged, closing the door to his face. He kept it open by pushing with one hand.

"You're not answering any of my questions. Are you hiding something from me?" Kris continued as he began to apply pressure on the door.

"I'm not obligated to tell you everything about my life. I did not choose you to be in my life, ok? I don't owe you an explanation" I said out of irritation.

He stopped pushing on the door and looked into my eyes intently. There was a flicker in there. Hurt? Had I hurt his feelings?

"I-I just woke up with a...headache. It's nothing much. You can go now, Kris" I said as quickly as I looked away from his gaze.

He remained silent for several heartbeats and the proximity allowed me to hear his breathing, mixed with the sound of spoon against bowl from somewhere in the dining area.

"You're not alone" he made it a statement. Before I could respond, the door was already open and he walked directly into the dining room. I chased after him and stopped in my tracks when he did. He was looking at Kai with evident curiosity and surprise.

"Umm...Kai, this is Kris. He's my classmate" I said to break the tense atmosphere.

Kai turned his head to me and I could finally see what could have possible made Kris look at him so curiously. He had bits of rice on his cheek and the way he chews in an up-and-down motion seemed so childish. He rapidly blinked seven times before raising his hand uncertainly and waving an unsure hello.

"I think you owe me an explanation this time" Kris said in perfect monotone. I held him by the arm and dragged him to the bedroom where Kai wouldn't hear our conversation.

The moment the door latched to a close, Kris lost his temper.

"What are you doing alone with a grown man in your apartment?! And you're eating breakfast together...damn what were you doing last night?!" he screeched.

"What...what the heck is wrong with you and your dirty mind?!" It was my turn to scream, but at a restrained tone. The walls aren't as thick as I hope for them to be right now.

"Then how else would you explain what I saw? And...is he even...normal?" he paced the room back and forth.

That had me placing my hands on my hips. "You are one judgmental angel. Can you pause with the questions for a while and let me talk?" I asked. He raised his eyebrow, but nodded anyway.

"That guy, Kai, just...fell out of the sky one evening" I began, and narrated all that Kai had told me about his condition. I almost laughed at my own words. It is not even 0.0000000001% sensible.

Surely enough, Kris laughed. "You really expect me to believe that?"

"You really expected me to believe you're an angel?" I shot back.

"With my angelic face, of course!" he continued to laugh.

"Kris, I'm serious!" I whined.

He laughed for a few more minutes before it started to fade out as he saw the sincerity on my face.

"Damn. You're not kidding, aren't you?" he said.

"If you're done laughing, yes. I'm telling you the truth. Wait, you're supposed to know that since you're watching over me. So you should have seen him fall into the front lawn two weeks ago!" I pointed an accusing finger at him.

Kris seemed to ponder on it until his eyes suddenly grew wide and his mouth formed into an O. "Two weeks ago? Ugh, I should really stop sleeping on the job!"

I couldn't help but snicker. "Yeah, they should just fire you and get me a better angel."

"Hey, young woman. You have no idea how hard my job is" he remarked.

"All you do is watch! Besides, I haven't written anything new on the notebook" I reasoned.

"Do you really think we just watch you people from the sky? This isn't Hollywood. I literally need to follow you around. Can you imagine that? If you were pretty, I would at least be motivated" he huffed.

This ego-maniac, really. I walked straight to my bed and took a pillow in each hand. Then I hit both sides of his face with them. Maybe if I apply enough force, the face that he is so proud of will be ruined.

"Why are you so violent? Sometimes the truth really hurts and you've got to accept it!" he said, but I did not stop hitting him. Right now, I am dead irritated by his presence and that huge ego is not helping.

Suddenly, his hands were on my wrist and I had no other choice but to drop the pillows with a sigh.

"Violence is not the answer. It won't make you any prettier" he smirked as he inched his face closer to mine.

I dramatically scowled at him and he chuckled as he let go of his grip.

"So what do you intend to do? Babysit him forever?" he said. It took me a while to realize that he was talking about Kai.

"After hearing his story, I think he needs all the help in the world. And I'm sure other people won't be willing to give him that" I replied.

"And you're willing to help him just because of that? What if everything he told you was a lie? Part of a plan to rob you in your sleep? Or..." he trailed off.

"Or what?" I asked.

"Or...I don't know! Do something wrong to you while you're alone. While I'm not keeping watch" he said.

Hmm. This guy...

"I thought you're not a guardian angel" I pointed out.

"So? That doesn't mean I would just let things happen to you." he said in tone that seemed offended.

"I-I'm sorry" I mumbled with my head hung low. I occupied myself by watching my toes fidget up and down. Then I saw that Kris had closed the distance and I looked up at his serious expression.

"For the record, Haneul...it's not just a job. You've known me for several weeks now. At least treat me like you would a classmate. Or a friend. Not as an annoyance" he said.

I nodded, a slow bob of the head.

"I uh...I made a lot of kimchi fried rice. Let's eat" I said.

And as if the serious face was an illusion, he grinned at the mention of food and dragged me back into the kitchen.