Helpful Fellows

Kai from the Sky

"No, go away!" I pushed Kris to the side as he blocked the cafe's exit.

"I told you we need to talk" he said sternly.

"No. I still have a lot of homework to do" I replied.

"We're classmates, remember? We don't have homework" he pointed out.

"I just want to go home! I'm tired" I sighed past him.

"Haneul just...please" his voice turned serious and fragile.

I studied his face for a moment. He seemed to be in dire need to explain. Well, I am also in dire need of an explanation for his freaking wings and about the notebook.

"Fine. Talk to me now" I said.

"It's getting dark. Let's just talk in your house."

"Don't push your luck. I don't want you in my house" I scoffed.

His serious expression suddenly slipped away and was replaced by laughter.

"Are you kidding me? You think I don't know where you live? I watch over you, remember?" he said.

I eyed him motionlessly, until the reality of what he said dawned on me making my jaw drop.

"You creep! Ugh" I swung my bag to hit him and started walking to the bus stop.





"Ah, this couch is softer than it looked before" Kris remarked as he reclined on my gray sofa.

"Can you please stop implying that you know everything about my house and my life?" I said in an annoyed tone. The truth is, I was just trying

to mask my fear. Kris claims to have been able to watch every aspect of my life ever since I got hold of the notebook. Now tell me if that isn't

scary.

"No, I don't watch you while you shower, if that's what you're thinking" he blurted out of nowhere.

"What?! I wasn't even-- You little--" I lost my ability to finish sentences as heat crept up my cheeks from both anger and embarrassment.

Easy does it, Haneul. Inhale, exhale.

"Alright, talk" I told him.

"You aren't going to offer me coffee first? I'm your guest after all" he smirked.

"You just had Mocha Java in the cafe. And no coffee here. I don't drink coffee" I replied.

"Yeah, I know" he grinned before dramatically siting up straight.

"So here's the gist," Kris began, "contrary to what you think I'm not a guardian angel. Yeah, yeah. You people generalize us like that, but actually we're just...helpful fellows--"

"Helpful fellows" I snorted at his choice of words.

"Okay okay! Have it your way if the term angel is more comfortable with you. But I'm not your guardian angel, just to clear things up" he continued.

"Then why creep on me?" I asked.

"Watch, not creep. Of course I need to watch what you do so that I can fulfill my directives" he said.

"Directives...as in mission? Hahaha, are you kidding me? You sound like a soap opera angel" I told him.

"Well it's not my fault that humans made soap operas about us quite accurate! So as I was saying, I'm not a guardian angel. That guy in the soccer field. That's a guardian angel."

"Then what makes you so different?"

"It depends upon what a person needs. That varsity player, being an athlete, needs protection from all the aggressions of the playing field. So he was given a guardian angel" he explained.

"Then...what brought you here? Maybe it will make you go away."

"The notebook. It appears to people who need hope. Hope that their dreams will come true. So whatever you write in there will...I guess you figured it out anyway. They'll come true. My only role is to ensure that you don't use it wrongly" he finished with a casual shrug.

"No," I shook my head, "they don't come true. I've proven it."

I recalled myself wishing for Chanyeol to fall in love with me. It obviously didn't happen.

"Chanyeol didn't fall in love with you because you can't overwrite wishes" he explained, as if reading my thoughts. Can he actually read my thoughts too? I don't want to find out.

"Overwrite? Wow, there are actually rules" I replied with a hint of sarcasm.

"Yeah, rules. That's what I'm here for! Well, by overwrite it means...you can just write on one occasion per page. If you write something today, it will come true. But if you write something else tomorrow on the same page, nope" he said.

It sounded ridiculous that I almost wanted to laugh. I didn't even ask for the notebook, but now I'm learning the rules on how to use it. From a guy I am not pleased with. Who is now standing up to proceed to my kitchen. Ugh.

He came back to the living room chewing on the Pepero that I bought from the grocery a few days ago.

"How dare you" I rolled my eyes, "how did you even know where to get that?"

"Do you really want to know?" he grinned.

I shuddered at the thought. This angel is so damn annoying! More like winged demon. I took a pillow from the couch and threw it right at his smiling face.

"Go away, Tinkerbell."