Timer

Kai from the Sky

"Morning, sleepyhead" I said, poking Kai's forehead. 

 

With several squints, he slowly got up, surveying the surroundings.

 

"Haneul? How did I get in here?" he asked.

 

"Umm, just in case you forgot, you can teleport" I replied.

 

"So I teleported straight to the couch?"

 

"Yup" I lied as I remembered how it took me almost an hour to get him into the house and clean off the mud from his face, his clothes, and the floor.

 

He rubbed his head, still disoriented.

 

"It will help if you eat. Don't worry. Delivery will be here in a few minutes" I assured him.

 

"Delivery?" he blinked.

 

"Well...I should really go grocery shopping again, but I didn't think it would be a good idea to leave. I might come back and find you missing again. You eat pizza, don't you?"

 

"I love pizza! Pizza jjang~ Haneul jjang~" he grinned.

 

"Funny how you can go from I'm-so-sleepy-leave-me-alone to extra hyper really quick" I chuckled.

 

"Doesn't everyone do that when pizza is involved?" he shrugged with a laugh.

 

"Well, don't worry because it will be here in about..." I checked my phone, "15 minutes."

 

"You're really timing it?" he asked.

 

I nodded proudly. "They have a promo wherein if it's late, we get the pizza for free!"

 

"Then we should barricade the streets!" Kai joked.

 

"Silly boy" I chuckled.

 

I set my phone on the table and took a seat next to Kai. The timer was on display. 14:26...silence...09:49.

 

"Haneul," Kai finally spoke up, "I'm sorry about how I acted yesterday. I don't know what got into me."

 

My lips tugged up ever so slightly. "It's ok, Kai. Just don't do that again, alright? Minseok might end up with some bladder illness if you do" I laughed.

 

"Minseok is your friend, so I'll treat him well from now on" he replied cheerfully.

 

Then he shifted from his seat to look at me. I could see it from my peripheral vision.

 

"I promise" he continued, this time in a serious tone. I turned to face him and immediately wished I hadn't. Because whenever I look into his eyes, I can never look away.

 

But that voice in my head rang once more: stay away from Kai.

 

As I looked into his earnest eyes, I keep on wondering why they tell me that. What can someone as delicate as him do wrong?

 

"By the way, I've been meaning to ask you something" I coughed, finally breaking away from his gaze, "do you happen to know...where my bunny stuffed toy is?"

 

"Yes" he blinked.

 

I sat straight up. "Where is it?!

 

"In your cabinet, right? That's where you keep it. You forgot?" he blinked yet again, cluelessly.

 

"The thing is...it isn't there. It got lost. Maybe even destroyed. I don't know how" was my sullen explanation.

 

Kai scooted closer and held me on the shoulders, "we'll look for it, ok? Don't be sad anymore. I know it's important to you so we'll find it. Together."

 

I looked into his eyes and they appeared more and more sincere with every word. Despite logic saying that he could have been the culprit, I believe in those eyes more.

 

"Thank you" I gave a small smile.

 

Time passed with us watching the timer on the table tick by.

 

After a while, a grumbling sound broke the silence.

 

"Sorry!" Kai exclaimed, covering his stomach as if his hands can suppress the sound.

 

"Aigoo, there's still some leftover kimbab from last night if you can't wait for the pizza anymore. You should have told me you're starving already!" I said standing up to go to the kitchen.

 

Kai held me by the wrist and made me sit back down.

 

"I'm fine. Let's just stay here."

 

"I'll just reheat the kimbab."

 

"No, let's just stay here like this."

 

"I'm not even doing anything. Just looking at that timer. So it's a good idea to go reheat the kimbab now" I pointed out.

 

"You don't always have to do anything. Sometimes, just being around is enough. Even with no words" he said.

 

"Poetic words, young man. From what drama is that?" I chuckled.

 

He shrugged. "Just my words."

 

It still fascinates me how he can vacillate between a clueless dork and a profound man.

 

"Speaking of drama," he grinned, clueless dork again, "this reminds me of a scene in a drama!"

 

"This? What this? Sitting on the couch doing nothing?" I asked.

 

"And staring at a timer" he nodded.

 

"Which drama then?"

 

"You Who Came From The Stars. There was this scene where the girl and the guy were on the couch with a timer on and..." he trailed off.

 

"And?"

 

"..."

 

"What happened?"

 

"..."

 

"Uh, Kai~"

 

Just then, there was a knock at the door.

 

"Oh, pizza is here!" I beamed.

 

He just exhaled with a blank face. Didn't notice he was holding his breath.

 

I went to get the pizza, wondering why Kai acted weird again. Whenever he remembers scenes in dramas lately, he wouldn't finish his sentence then suddenly act odd. What's with that timer?

 

Would the pizza delivery guy know what happened in the drama? I'm curious.

 

Oh well, nevermind.