Library

Kai from the Sky

"Studying contemporary art for English? Weird professor is weird" I mumbled to myself as I scanned the last row of shelves in the library. There wasn't that much variation of books available. Too little but I haven't even found that single art book written in the catalogue.

I stopped infront of an isolated shelf, dusty from having no visitors. It seems that the book I was looking for was dumped along the old, haven't-been-used-in-decades one. Despite the disorderly state of the shelf, the book was easy to spot.

"700" I smiled as I saw the only one with a label classified as art. This school needs to buy more art books.

However, my smile vanished instantly when I realized that it was located way above my height.

"Why does it have to be up there? Does no one like art around here?" I whined.

"I like art" came a voice that startled the soul out of my body. The said person reached out for the book with great ease.

"Here" he said, handing it to me. I just glared at him and huffed.

"You don't want it?" he asked.

"I do, but I can take care of myself" I crossed my arms. Hanuel the indepenent woman. That's right.

"Oh what's that?" he pointed directly at me.

"What?"

"There's something on your face. You've got some...attitude problem right there" he continued to act.

"Listen Ken," I said, "sorry but I'm just not used to being helped by people."

I started to reach out for the book but he raised it up and returned it to its place on the shelf.

"It's Kris" he exhaled before turning to leave.

I helplessly stared at the book, as if it would levitate down if I stared long enough. It didn't. So I jumped up several times until my hand was able to brush the material and it came tumbling down the shelf along with some dust. The dust found their way onto my face. How convenient.

"Now there really is something on your face" Kris laughed. I didn't know he was still there.

I frowned at him and immediately opened the book only to reveal that it was about traditional Korean art. Not what I need. Ugh, so much trouble for the wrong book! I placed it back on the shelf but only to that of my height. I didn't want to look like a fool for Kris's entertainment.

"Not what you needed?" he asked, still a hint of laughter in his voice.

"Nope. I guess I'll just look for one elsewhere" I said as I wiped the dust off my face.

"Now let's have lunch before the bell rings," he walked off casually, "took you so long here."

"Who told you to wait for me?" I chased after him.

He merely shrugged. This guy is exasperating in many different levels.

The moment we stepped into the cafeteria, the aroma of food made me salivate. Ah, I'd really want to eat chicken right now.

But then I mentally recalled how much money I had for today. My sponsor hadn't given me allowance yet. I barely have enough to spare since I bought groceries the other day. Gah, I need a new job soon.

I settled for a tuna sandwich and proceeded to an empty table. As I chewed on the bread, I could hear hysterical laughing from up ahead. And when I looked, several tables in front was Chanyeol and Kris with the rest of their friends. What a dorky laugh.