There For You

Kai from the Sky

"Well, that's it for our last lesson. Good luck with the exams. You'll need it. I made sure it will be hardest exam of your life" the teacher chuckled.

 

"Ssaem~" the class groaned.

 

"Just kidding," he grinned, "if you listened in class, you'll all pass for sure."

 

We bade our Math teacher goodbye for the year.

 

"You won't pass then" Kris nudged me by the shoulder.

 

"What?" I frowned.

 

"You never listen in class!" Kris laughed.

 

"Ya~ I told you I do listen now" I huffed.

 

"Really? How do you get the derivative of the area of a sphere?" he raised a brow.

 

"Well..." I stalled.

 

"See. You don't listen. How are you going to cram eight months of not listening?" he lounged back as far as the chair allows.

 

I reached for my bag and stood up to leave.

 

"Wait, where are you going?" he asked, suddenly standing up as well, causing his armchair to topple down.

 

"Seonsaengnim, someone's destroying school furniture!" I giggled.

 

Kris just rolled his eyes. "Really though, where are you going? Your shift is not until later."

 

"Thanks for the reminder. I am quite aware of my own shift since I chose it myself" I teased before turning on my heels to leave.

 

"Really cool of Mr. Bang to let you choose a shorter shift" he remarked as he followed right behind me.

 

"He says it's a reward for all my hard work in completing the barista short course" I explained.

 

"ALL your hard work? That's just...less than a year of work. Does that manager have the hots for you?" he continued.

 

"Ya!" I turned to hit him with my bag, "you're a creep."

 

"Geez, I was just kidding. I don't understand how he can give you a reward when all you do is frown when taking my order."

 

"Consider that special treatment for you. All the other customers get a smile. You're special!" I laughed.

 

"Whatever. So where are you going really?" he reverted.

 

"To the library. I'll study all I can while I have time. Like you said, I have a lot to cram" I answered.

 

"Ok" he nodded and started dragging me out of the school.

 

"Wait wait wait! Where are you taking me?" I protested.

 

"It's hard to cram if you're pressured. You can just study later tonight. For now, take your mind off things first" he explained.

 

"That doesn't answer the question. Where are you taking me?" I repeated. 

 

"Stop making me sound like a kidnapper. Just the usual. Good ol' Myeongdong" he replied.

 

"Oh, so can we have a few minutes to drop by that--"

 

"That clothing store?" he cut me off, "yeah, yeah. You're going to do so anyway even if I said no. And you say 'a few minutes' but it always takes you at least an hour."

 

"Hey!" I hit him on the arm, "I'm just making sure that I get the ones with the best design and quality. Money doesn't come easy so I have to make the most out of it. Pfft, you just have no sense of fashion."

 

"Excuse me?" he guffawed in disbelief, "Me? No fashion sense? Every thread in my clothes screams runway material. And yes, money doesn't come easy so you should stop hoarding clothes you're never wearing."

 

I sighed. "I'm hungry. Let's walk faster."

 

"Alright" Kris resigned, sensing my mood change. He's used to it by now.

 

He held out his right hand and I shrugged my bag off and handed it to him as usual. No use pointing out that the flower prints look odd on him. Tried to protest before. Told him I'm an independent woman and all that. He doesn't let me win though. Maybe he secretly likes my bag?

 

"Such a sweet boyfriend," a passerby whispered to the guy she was with, "why don't you do that for me, oppa? Aren't you concerned that my bag is heavy?"

 

I facepalmed myself. Not again.

 

"Heavy?" the guy replied, "your arm is bigger than mine so I'm sure you can take care of it."

 

When we were far enough from hearing range, Kris burst out laughing.

 

"Ya! You're mean," I told him, "what he said wasn't funny. You shouldn't make a person's body size a joke."

 

"I wasn't laughing about that. I laughed because people keep on thinking that I'm your boyfriend" he answered.

 

"It's your fault for always insisting to carry my bag. I guess you like the attention, huh?" I said.

 

"Even if you were walking in a bridal gown beside me, shouldn't they be suspicious? Like, look at me. I'm too perfect. We obviously don't match" he said very casually.

 

I just rolled my eyes at him and walked ahead of him. He quickened his pace to catch up and held me by the wrist. 

 

"I was just kidding" he said in a worried tone.

 

"Yep. As usual" I replied nonchalantly. 

 

"Are you upset? Angels are just not allowed to date their subjects" he continued to joke.

 

I stopped in my tracks and faced him.

 

"Aww, is that so? Well, there's something else I wanted to know about angels" I pouted before bringing my knee up to hit him.

 

His eyes bulged out as he winced in pain.

 

"I was wondering if you guys get hurt. Now I know!" I snickered and spun around to continue walking.

 

"Aish, Jang Haneul. After all this time that I've been there for you..." he grunted, attempting to walk.

 

"Don't worry," I shouted back from the distance, "when you get to Myeongdong, I'll be there waiting for you too. With a restaurant bill. Slowpoke."

 

"Slowpoke? And whose fault is this?" he retorted.

 

I stuck my tongue out in response and skipped away from him even faster.

 

"Ya, Jang Haneul! Wait 'til I catch you. You must have forgotten that I can fly" Kris called out.

 

"Then hurry up and catch me, Tinkerbell!"