Mocha Java

Kai from the Sky

The last time I checked this story had 50 something subscribers and now it's over a hundred? O_O Thank you TT_TT I am sorry for not being very quick in updating. I'll work hard to update more often, I promise~^^


 

"Customer on table 3 please, Haneul" Mr. Bang motioned with his hand before entering his office.

"Yes sir, just a sec" I said as I fumbled with the strings of the coffee brown apron on my uniform.

"Ah...I..I got it" Tao mumbled before leaving to take the customer's order.

He was back at the counter even before I could figure out how to tie the damned strings.

"Let me help you" he gestured towards me, but I took a step back.

"No, I got this" I replied, voice too strained to be casual.

Tao heaved a sigh. "Look, about last time. Sorry for seeming like a creep to you. I guess we started on the wrong foot. I'm Tao. Guess we'll be co-workers from this day forward."

I stared at his eyes for a while. They were free from the scary vibe from yesterday. Maybe he wasn't that bad after all.

"Haneul" I extended my hand and he shook it with a smile before ultimately helping me out with the apron strings.

"Excuse me" a customer from a nearby table called.

"I got i--" I was about to say but Tao was there in no time.

When he got back, he was greeted by my evident frown.

"Why do you keep on doing that?" I huffed.

"Doing what?" he feigned innocence.

"Doing MY job. You're doing everything so I have nothing left to do! To think this is my first day at work" I said.

"A-actually...I just wanted to help you to make it up for my behavior" he replied.

"And how is that supposed to help me? Wouldn't it help me more if you let me do my job so that I can learn?" I told him.

He nodded. "I guess you're right. But the truth is I'm trying to make it obvious that I am sorry for my actions because your boyfriend over there has been glaring at me and it's so scary!"

Boy...friend?

"I don't have one. Who are you talking about?" I surveyed the surroundings  and spotted the culprit.

"The heck is he doing here..." I muttered before walking to the table of the said person.

"Why are you here, Kris?" I asked with my hands on my hips.

"I'm a customer," he replied coolly, looking up from the menu, "I'd like a Mocha Java."

"Oh why, don't they serve that in heaven?" I shot back.

"Is this how you treat your customers?" he said, with a hand to his chest as if genuinely hurt.

"I'm sorry sir, but it's my first day on the job and they didn't train me on how to treat 'angels'" I replied, making the quotation marks clear in my voice. I scribbled "Mocha Java" on the order sheet and returned to the counter.

"Here" I managed to regain my smile before handing the sheet to the barista, who immediately proceeded with the order while humming a tune.

"Stop singing, Jongdae. You're gonna cast a curse on the coffee" Tao whined.

"I'm humming not singing, you idiot" the other retorted.

As they continued to bicker, my eyes can't help but wander back to Kris. The wings from this afternoon seemed like an illusion compared to his completely normal facade now.

"Mocha Java" Jongdae called out. I woke up from my reverie and drudgingly delivered it to Kris's table.

"One Mocha Java. Is there anything else you need...sir?" I smiled professionally.

"Yeah. I need to talk to you" he said.

"I'm sorry, but I'm on duty right now" I replied.

"Then after your duty. We need to talk before you run away again" he immediately answered.

"If this is about guardian angel stuff, there is no need" I said, about to turn back.

"See! That's why we need to talk. You keep on referring to it as guardian angel" he exhaled and crossed his arms in front of him.

"Then what are you...a dragon? Butterfly? Tinkerbell?!" I said, my voice getting louder per word that the customer at the next table shot me an annoyed glare.

I apologized and a sigh escaped my lips. First day of work and I'm causing trouble already.

"Enjoy your Mocha Java" I bowed at Kris and left him.