Cursed

Kai from the Sky

KRIS'S POV

"N-no! I wasn't complaining. I told Haneul that I would GLADLY take her place today" the tall boy with inky hair declared in panic. His reaction upon seeing me enter the cafe is priceless. The only words I had said were 'Hi, I came because Haneul said--' and here he is explaining frantically.

I walked out of the cafe victoriously. That was easy.

But I volunteered to come here not just because of Tao's hard-headedness. I had a more important task. With a quick check on the surroundings, I made sure no one was around before I leapt into the air and flew to meet someone I badly needed to talk to.

"What brings you here, Kris? You should be watching over your subject" said The Guardian as he rose from his seat.

"Don't be funny. I don't need to watch over her right now" I scoffed.

"You're still as rude to your elders as ever, I see. Go back and do your job" he sighed softly as he turned his back at me.

"No, Suho. I need to talk to you. And don't you keep on telling me to go back and watch over her because Chanyeol is the one watching over her right now. That's why I'm here! Why did you send Chanyeol?" I asked, voice rising a tad louder than normal.

"Kris, some things are for the elders to discuss and for you to just...let go. So do not push this conversation anymore" he replied.

"Chanyeol is Yejin's watcher. You can't just send her to Haneul like that because she is already under my responsibility. So why did you do that?" I continued.

The Guardian paced back and forth with the grace of contained energy in his steps. He seemed to be pondering on how to phrase everything. But from the look in his face, I'm sure he is at least going to give me the explanation. Goodie.

"Kris, you...you don't understand. Before you get angry at me, let me tell you that this is just me trying to find a way to save you from your mistake. It's your fault for sleeping on the job when Haneul made that one...horrible wish! You should have been there!" he began.

"You mean when I was summoned here to be showered by your unending we-must-learn-to-be-responsible reprimands?"

Suho shook his head as if he was getting tired of explaining astrophysics to a 5-year-old kid. "If that's how you remember it, then yes."

"Wait...she made a wish that night?" I gasped.

Suho nodded, a mere bob of his head, and marched to the shelves at the side of the room. He took out one of the archives and handed it to me, pointing at one particular statement.

"I wish someone would just fall out of the sky and...finally love me" I read.

"So? This still doesn't explain why you had to send Chanyeol" I huffed.

"You still don't get it, huh? Haneul made a wish on a clean page of the notebook. What do you think happens next?" Suho bellowed.

"Well, it should come true then, but there's no way that someone will just fall out of the sky and...oh crap. It's the weird kid, isn't it? Kai?" my eyes widened in realization. So Haneul was telling the truth after all. Kai fell from the sky.

"Still," I shook my head, "why send Chanyeol?"

"You know very well that Haneul has a certain liking for that tall, idiotic one. That's what he's there for" said The Guardian nonchalantly, but the reality of his words dawned on me like the clang of cymbals amidst a mute night.

"You're trying to make Haneul fall for Chanyeol?! Did your brain get run over by a truck or something? You can't let a subject fall for a guardian" I scoffed.

"I know, I know! But it was the only way I can think of to prevent her from falling for the teleporting kid! It's for her own good. And that's what we do here. We seek what is good for our subjects" he sighed.

Curiosity finally got the best of me. "Why? What is so wrong about Kai?"

"You've seen him teleport, haven't you?" Suho inquired, to which I nodded.

"Then you should have taken the hint. Kris, that kid is cursed."