0.1%

Kai from the Sky

I quickly closed the door the moment Kris stepped out. I didn't want to see him sprout wings again nor, as he claims, fly off. Knowing is half the battle. Literally, this time. I'm fine with just knowing that he has wings. Further than that...errr...maybe next time. Half the battle would suffice.

"May the force be with you!" Kai waved him goodbye.

"Kai," I groaned, "you should really learn how to differentiate TV from reality. Kris isn't a Jedi or something from Star Wars."

He scratched the back of his head as he always does. "Sorry, it's still a bit tricky. I don't have much experience talking to...actual people."

I can't help but smile at his innocent appearance. "Well...I am an actual person," I chuckled, "you can always talk to me from now on."

"Don't you find me weird?" he blinked.

I laughed. "Very weird, to be honest. But then what's it have to do with anything? You're still an actual person too."

He shrugged. "The people at home seem to think otherwise. That's why I have no one to talk to."

"How about your parents?" I asked, uncertain if the question is far too personal.

"This...curse. It's exactly the reason why dad doesn't talk to me."

"Why not? It's not like you chose to have that c...condition" I said.

"Curse. I said curse. My mom died because of it, that's why" he revealed in a hushed tone. He slowly paced towards the window and seemed to concentrate on the dew forming on the glass. It was almost dark outside. The streetlamp was on and highlighted Kai's jawline perfectly.

"I'm sorry" I mumbled. His story hit a particular chord in my heart, not only because it was sad in itself but also because I know how it feels to lose a parent. Parents.

He got out of his reverie and turned to me with a smile. "It's ok, you didn't know. And please don't pity me. I'm still grateful that my dad makes sure I have everything I need to survive in my room. At least I know he still cares for me as a son somehow."

I gave back a tiny smile. It's nice how he sees his father in that light. I really hope that he stops blaming himself though. But he said that he wants no pity, so I did not say that out loud.

"Ah, let's not talk about such depressing things," he grinned, "so what's your relationship with Kris?"

"What?! He's my classmate, I told you" I immediately answered.

"Yeah, maybe that's true" he nodded.

"What do you mean 'maybe'? Of course it's true! What else did you think?"

"Well, considering how worried he was that you skipped school that he even had to barge into your house...and how he seems so comfortable in here too...knowing where exactly to get the food, for a while I thought you two were a couple. But..." he trailed off.

I was about to throw a fit of protest and gag on the floor, but was stopped my curiosity.

"But?" I prodded him on.

"But I saw the way you were looking at him," he pointed at the man sleeping soundly on the sofa, "you even knew that he might need aspirin even without him asking you for it. You seem to care for him a lot."

"Well, people usually take aspirins to cure hangovers, I g-guess?" I tried to cover up.

"Maybe. That still doesn't explain the way you look at him with so much concern" he shrugged.

My eyes found their way to Chanyeol. His breath seemed steady already, his chest rising and falling at a peaceful and even pace. Without meaning to, I sighed audibly.

"He doesn't know, does he?" Kai asked, "he doesn't know about your feelings."

"For a guy with almost zero social skills, you sure know a lot about reading a girl's actions. Congratulations. You just beat 99.9% of the entire male population" I chuckled.

Again that up-and-down shrug of his shoulders. "Smile Donghae?"

"Another drama?" I asked.

He nodded. "You should see how Bong Yi secretly looks at the lead character. Exactly the way you do at Chanyeol."

I hid my face to prevent him from seeing the embarrasing warmth creeping up my cheeks. When I could already manage a straight face I replied in my most disinterested tone, "Really, huh? So what happened to them?"

"They got together", he smiled, "so there's hope for you."

I laughed at how child-like he was smiling and at the cheerful lilt in his voice. "But that's only a TV show. Everyone knows it's different from reality."

"Not everyone. I don't. I belong to the 0.1%, remember?" he smiled even wider.

"Alright, alright. You're one of a kind" I ruffled his hair. However, I instantly retracted my hand, from common knowledge that guys don't like having their hair touched. Kai didn't even flinch, making me laugh even more. Such a darling this boy is.

"Absolutely 0.1%"