Not Alone

Kai from the Sky

Oh dear. It's been so long since i last updated that I don't remember anymore. I think I'm getting Chanshi syndrome. All I remember is that life got so crazy lately that I just want to...ㅠㅠ Sorry everyone for the hiatus. I've just been really busy so now I'm sick. Welp. Aigoo, I feel really bad for not being here for such a long time *bows* I'm really trying my best to update and I truly do love you readers and did not intend to neglect you :( Please accept this heart ♥ Life is so demanding sometimes, isn't it? But we'll go through this together! Hwaiting!

 

--

"Umma! Appa!" I found myself shrieking as I jolted out of bed.

 

Oh, another dream. I shrugged as I wiped off the dried tears on my cheek. Just another nightmare, Haneul.

 

I should probably be used to this by now, right? I thought so too, but I still felt sad inside. Hyosung used to be the one to wake me up from those nightmares and tell me that everything's alright. Now I'm just...alone.

 

Hyosung-ah, I miss you so much.

 

I got out of bed to prepare my uniform, but was halted by frantic knocking on my bedroom door.

 

"Haneul! Are you ok? Haneul! What happened?" came Kai's muffled voice from the other side.

 

I hurried to wipe off any trace of tears before opening the door.

 

"Kai, I'm ok" I said with a tight-lipped smile.

 

"What happened? Did you fall out of bed?" he asked, eyes wide as he pat me on the arms and head, as if looking for any injury.

 

I couldn't help but burst into laughter.

 

"If I really fell out of bed, why does your face look like I've been swallowed by a shark? My bed's not that high. I'll survive" I chuckled, forgetting my loneliness for an instant.

 

Hyosung-ah, I'm no longer alone. 

 

"I've fallen off my bed a lot of times before. It hurts!" he argued, bouncing like a kid trying to convince his mom to buy him ice cream.

 

"You think falling off your bed hurts more than falling on random streets and highways? Where do you sleep, on the Eiffel tower?" I laughed.

 

He did not respond. He was just looking at me with a soft smile.

 

"Yah, say something. This is awkward" I laughed even more.

 

"It's better when you're not crying" he said.

 

My laughter slowly faded into a smile that mirrored his.

 

"Well, you're making me laugh so early in the morning," I grinned, "thank you."

 

"I've told you about my parents and my family issues, but I never got to ask about yours" he said.

 

I took a deep breath and paced to my closet to prepare my uniform.

 

"I lost both of them in a highway accident," I began as I absentmindedly ran my hands on the clothes, "unfortunately...that's all I know. I was too young to understand, said social services. So no one told me about the details."

 

"I'm sorry...I see why you want me and my dad to reconcile. I probably shouldn't have asked..."

 

"No, it's alright, Kai. I believe everything happens for a reason. Being alone...it helped me learn to face the world. And though I'll give anything to see my parents again, I'd never have met my best friend, Hyosung. She used to be the one to wake me up whenever I'm getting those nightmares." I explained as I absentmindedly reached out to the stuffed toy that I've been hiding in the closet to keep it away from dust.

 

"I know I can't replace your best friend, but I can wake you up. And try to make you laugh away the bad dreams," he grinned, "where'd you get the stuffed toy? It seems to comfort you too."

 

"Ah," I managed to say as I held the fluffy white rabbit, "it's from my mom. She gave me a lot of toy rabbits before, but this is the only one I was able to keep because I was holding it when..."

 

I didn't want to remember.

 

"It's ok to not want to remember" Kai said.

 

I tilted my head to the side. "How did you know what I was thinking?"

 

"I can read minds," he dramatically posed with his fingers drumming on his temples.

 

"Really" I laughed as I finally gathered the uniform from my closet and started for the bathroom.

 

He nodded with a grin "I Can Hear Your Voice"

 

I playfully hit his arm before leaving for the bathroom. "Of course you can"

 

"It's a drama. You don't know that either?" he shouted from across the hall.

 

I turned back and shook my head.

 

"Lee Jong Suk. You don't know Jong Suk? Do you live under a rock? This girl..." he mumbled as he walked off into the living room.

 

Right before I was supposed to turn on the shower, I could hear muffled sounds of Kai talking to someone. He said something like..."Why are you here again?"