Rice

Kai from the Sky

"So what the writer of this poem may be implying is the reflection of society's -- oh, good to have you here, Mr. Wu" the teacher says as he glances at his wristwatch. Kris gives him a bow and proceeds to his seat. It was during lunch when curiosity got the best of me.

As usual, he walks toward my table near the entrance, only this time he doesn't force me to join Chanyeol's table. It's been two weeks since he first did that. Wowee, time flies by so fast. Instead of pulling me to the other table, he sits across from me with a sluggish face.

"So, what miracle made you late for school today? You're never late. You always arrive at least twenty minutes before first period. I don't think you were caught in traffic since you just basically go poof everywhere. Or do angels need alarm clocks too?" I snorted.

"So you know exactly what time I go to school, and you call me a creep for watching over you? Tsk, some double standards we have here" he snickered.

"Wha--I just--geez. You're unbelievable" I shook my head before proceeding to take a mouthful of rice. Yup, I get to eat real meals now thanks to my job at the cafe.

"That's what all the girls have been saying. Now you admit it too. Took you so long" he wagged his eyebrows at me and I choked on the rice in my mouth.

"Ugh, go back to your table!" I kicked his shin from under the table.

"Ow! No, I want to stay here. I may be your angel, but not your servant. You can't boss me around" he said before biting from his chicken and leaning over to steal some of my rice.

"No! You little, ugh! Why do you keep on taking my food?!" I swatted his spoon away, but it had already made its way into his mouth. My poor rice.

He replied with a shrug. Very Kris.

I took ten deep breaths before continuing.

"So really, why were you late?" I asked.

"You're really that interested in me huh?" he smirked before attempting to assault my rice bowl again. This time, I was quick enough to snatch it.

"Uh-uh. If you won't answer properly, then you can't keep on stealing my rice!" I said with knit eyebrows.

He studied my expression carefully and nodded.

"I uh, I was held off by my higher ups this morning" he finally revealed.

"And why is that?" I prodded on, dramatically putting my rice bowl as far away from him as possible to stress that I demand an answer. He put his chopsticks down and sighed.

"I got scolded...for sleeping on the job. But that was two weeks ago! I thought they hadn't noticed" he frowned.

The beginnings of a laugh was threatening to escape from my lips. Sleeping on the job? Apparently, they operate the same way up there, or wherever angels come from.

"You mean while watching over me?" I clarified.

He nodded. "Now can I proceed to stealing your rice?"

This time, I let out the laughter that I've been holding.

"You should do it more often so that you stop creeping on me. Maybe your bosses will get mad enough and replace you with someone with a more charming personality" I told him.

"You think I'm not charming? Oh right, you prefer 'unbelievable'. Thank you" he smirked again.

With narrowed eyes, I hastily gobbled up all the remaining rice in my bowl.

"Keep talking like that. No rice for you" I huffed.
 





It was already late when I got home that day. Blame it on that customer who refused to leave the coffee shop until an hour past closing time. I washed my face and shrugged into my PJs. I was setting my alarm clock when my phone vibrated. Ah, forgot to remove it from silent mode after work.

"Hyosung!" I chimed as I picked it up.

"Hey Haneul! I didn't wake you up or anything did I? Sorry but I just really, really missed you that I couldn't sleep so I called at this hour. Soooo, how have you been since we last talked?"

I told her all about my boring professors, my new part-time job, and my nonexistent social life.

"What do you mean nonexistent? How about that tall creepy guy who suddenly knew your name out of nowhere?" her voice came through the receiver.

"Ah," I said, deliberating upon whether it's a good idea to tell her the truth about Kris's identity or not, "his name is Kris. And he's still annoying, but actually...not that bad."

Realizing that Kris could be watching me right now and heard what I said, I quickly took back the "not that bad" part.

"Did he say how he found your name out?" she inquired.

"He, uh, I remembered that the professors did a roll call so he must have heard it there. I'm quite forgetful huh? Hehe" I gulped. I hate lying to my best friend. And Kris is probably laughing at me right now from wherever he is.

Then as a typical conversation with Hyosung goes, she asked about my love life again. I told her about Chanyeol, with much struggle on my part. Don't blame me. I still like the guy. Boo.

"Oh Haneul, I should have been there to comfort you. But maybe you're just not meant for each other. How about Kris?" she giggled.

"NO. Absolutely never" I gagged and she laughed from the other line.

"Aww, c'mon. You'll never know" she continued to giggle.

"No, really, no" I shook my head even though she couldn't see it.

"Alright then, I won't push it. Maybe you'll just gravitate towards each other naturally without me even pushing" she said.

"Hyosung!" I scolded.

"Aigoo, just kidding. So there aren't any other guys in your life right now?" she asked.

It was then that a memory crossed my mind.

That guy who fell from the sky. Will I ever see him again? It's been two weeks, but I still haven't forgotten his face.

"No, there aren't any other guys.......as of now" I mumbled as my eyes found their way towards the notebook on my bedside table.