Miracle

Kai from the Sky

I took careful steps toward the couch, anxiety overwhelming me as I approached Kai's curled up figure.

 

"K-Kai..." I called out.

 

When I was only three steps away from him, it was then that I noticed that he was trembling. Perhaps it's the weather? But that doesn't explain how he cowered away with shaking hands covering his face as his ragged breath filled the room.

 

He was trembling in fear.

 

"Kai....Kai, it's me" I continued to call out, but he still did not respond.

 

Worry got the best of me. I closed the distance between us and held him at the shoulders to steady his breathing.

 

"Kai, it's me. Haneul. You're safe now. Look at me" I coaxed.

 

His breath began to slow down to a steady pace as I took his hands away from his face. "You're safe now, ok? I'm here."

 

I started questioning my choice of words. What good is it that I'm here? It's not like I can protect him. But as he fearfully opened his eyes, sighed in relief, and suddenly pull me into an embrace, I felt that maybe I am helping somehow.

 

"Miracle. It must be a miracle" he kept on repeating.

 

You might be right, Kai. It is indeed a miracle for the notebook to have brought you back in full control of your powers now.

 

"Yes, yes. Everything's ok now," I reassured as I gently tapped on his back, "can you tell me what happened?"

 

He nodded and let go. I took a seat beside him to listen.

 

"Truck. I just...I was just so angry. Then I didn't realize I had teleported already. Then a truck...I've always been lucky to not run into trucks but tonight...it was running fast and it was heading straight to my direction and and..." he stumbled over his own words.

 

"It's a good thing you teleported out just in time" I gasped.

 

Oh dear. It's a good thing I didn't wish for his ability to disappear! Or else he would not have gotten out of there. Oh thank you, thank you heavens. This is really...

 

"A miracle indeed" Kai said as he closed his eyes and let himself fall back into the couch.

 

"Alright, just rest here for a while and I'll get you something to drink" I told him as I stood up and started for the kitchen.

 

"Haneul..." he called out, still with closed eyes.

 

"Hm?" I turned my head back.

 

"I am so glad to see you again."

 

I chuckled for a bit but held it in. It's just probably his way of expressing how glad he is to still be alive. My face might have been such a relief in place of the truck's face.

 

"I heard that laugh" he suddenly remarked.

 

"I wasn't laughing!" I quickly defended myself.

 

He opened his eyes as his lips curled up in a smile. "Don't laugh. I meant it. I'm glad to see you again."