Cursed

Kai from the Sky

I know that you guys must be waiting so hard for Kai to come back. Please wait just a liiiittle bit more. I am preparing for him to return with a huge bang, I promise! I'm also trying my best to write quickly. A few things just have to be explained first, but when he comes back, I'll make sure he does it awesomely^^

 

-=-=-=-=-

The drug store had two cashier lanes, but one was closed somehow. As such, a line has built up in front of the only cashier. I stood at the very end. Around three to four people were in front of me. I couldn't tell if that one girl is actually in line or just stayed there to chat with her friend. You know that kind of people? They seem harmless at first, but once you find out their little mischief, you grow a tad disappointed at humanity.

 

And I've only been around for less than two decades on earth. I wonder how much more facepalms Kris had to go through as he watched over humans. Even worse that he remembers every single one of them.

 

I wonder...what am I like compared to his previous assignments?

 

"Umm...miss?" the young cashier in white uniform said, snapping me out of my thoughts. Turns out that I've spaced out quite long and he's been trying to get my attention.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry. A bottle of iron supplements, please. You know the one in the blue bottle?" I said rather hurriedly as if to make up for my delayed response.

 

He nodded and walked off to look for the said bottle in the stocks.

 

But really...it must be difficult to have to remember everything. Angels surely have feelings too. What if they cross paths with their previous subjects and they don't even recognize them? What a pity.

 

My face suddenly contorted to a sad and disapproving frown.

 

"What if I don't recognize him anymore?" I thought to myself.

 

"Oh, is it the wrong bottle?" the pharmacist suddenly spoke up. I didn't even realize that he's back.

 

"Ah, no. It's the right one" I shook my head.

 

"Are you ok?" he asked, probably after seeing my frowning face, "is that everything?"

 

"I think...some painkillers too please" I sighed, realizing that my headache still persists.

 

"Is it for your headache?" he smiled.

 

"How did--"

 

"Or is it for your heartache?" he chuckled.

 

"Excuse me?" I clarified, taken aback.

 

"What if I don't recognize him anymore?" he copied my words. I gasped. Didn't think he heard it.

 

"It's not what you think" I huffed.

 

"Sorry," he smiled yet again, "I'll go get some for your headache then."

 

"What's taking so long?" Kris's voice came from behind.

 

"Oh...so you're 'him'. Makes sense" the guy at the counter mused before leaving to get my painkillers.

 

"What's Jin talking about?" Kris turned to me.

 

"Who?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

 

"That guy," he motioned to the counter, "what's he talking about?"

 

"N-nothing!" I replied.

 

The pharmacist came back with all the meds in a single paper bag and I handed him the payment.

 

"So you're Haneul, I assume?" he suddenly asked me.

 

"How did..," I turned to Kris, "do you tell people about me, Mr. Tinkerbell?"

 

"So it's true you call him Tinkerbell" he guffawed.

 

Kris rolled his eyes at the guy. "Haneul, this is Jin. He's a healer."

 

"Like Chanyeol, who I'm sure you've met" Jin smiled. This guy sure loves to smile, huh?

 

"Nice to meet you," I returned his smile, "so that's why you know about my headache."

 

"And heartache" he continued, which made me frown at Kris.

 

"So angels like to gossip too? Aish, I told you I'm trying to move on! No need to announce my woes to your angel friends" I punched him in the arm.

 

"Ow, you human girls do that all the time too! C'mon, let's go. See you around, Jin" Kris waved and so did I.

 

--

 

"You bought a lot from the convenience store" I said as Kris and I walked off.

 

He took out a water bottle from his paper bag and handed it to me. I managed to sneak a peak at the contents, but I couldn't read any of them.

 

"Drink your meds" he told me, seemingly distracted. I stopped to pop a pill and take a gulp from the water bottle.

 

"So those snacks...what are those? I've never seen those brands. Are they any good?" I asked a few minutes into our walk.

 

"There you are" Kris suddenly stopped.

 

I turned to check what he's talking about. Who, rather. He walked up to a homeless man sitting by the sidewalk.

 

His brown hair stuck in different directions, but still managed to look soft, much like his entire atmosphere. His eyes gave the softest expression, making it unexpectedly stand out in contrast with his moderately sharp jawline. Behind that softness was a hint of something else. Sadness?

 

"You really don't have to keep coming here" the man said bitterly, unbecoming of his soft appearance.

 

"Oh c'mon, man! I brought you something you'll surely like" Kris beamed as he handed the paper bag of snacks to the man.

 

The guy took out the contents and the sides of his lips tugged up instantly. "Where'd you find these? I didn't think they sold these outside China. They were my favorites back then."

 

I was so lost at what was happening. As if sensing my uneasiness, Kris motioned me to come forward and I did.

 

"Oh Lay, this is..." Kris began.

 

"Haneul, I assume" the guy finished for him.

 

What the...does everyone in this side of town know me?

 

"Yes, he told me about you," he smiled, as if reading my thoughts, "and I feel quite ashamed that you have to see me."

 

"It's wonderful to meet you," I gave a slight bow, "Lay, is it?"

 

I specifically chose the word 'wonderful' so that he knows that I don't find his situation to be any less than that and that there's no need to be ashamed.

 

"You are really something," he chuckled and turned his attention to Kris, "but like I told you, Kris. Don't go too far. You see what I've become."

 

Why do they have to be so cryptic? It makes me worried about what it is that should not be taken 'too far'.

 

"I know. I told you it's nothing like that," Kris responded to him, "and there's not even a chance for that to happen. Because of the boy."

 

What boy? Ugh, these guys. I might as well just be invisible.

 

"That boy...," Lay trailed off, "I really didn't mean it. I think I owe Haneul an apology too."

 

My ears perked up upon hearing my name.

 

"An apology? But...for what?" I asked, definitely puzzled.

 

"Haneul...are you wondering why I am like this?" Lay laughed with a brokenness. I heard Kris take a deep breath and walk away but stay within hearing range.

 

"I umm..." I didn't know what to say. Yes, I was curious but I didn't want to be rude and I ask. I was going to wait until later and ask Kris instead.

 

"You know...I used to be an angel too," he smiled, tight-lipped, "an angel of hope. Just like Kris right there."

 

"So you two must be very close friends then" I nodded in understanding.

 

"Like brothers. As you can see, he still comes to see me even if I am like this now."

 

"You said you used to be an angel. So you are no longer one? I...didn't know that was possible" I said.

 

"Very possible. Where do you think all the homeless people come from? The forsaken, poor people who do not have a single cent to their name? Who just happen to have no family to turn to? There are too many of those to be a coincidence" he explained.

 

What does he mean?

 

"Well, it is possible that social injustice results into several poor and oppressed people roaming the streets for food and alms. But a lot of us...were thrown out like this as punishment" he continued.

 

"Punishment for what? What could an angel do that would merit him this kind of inhumane suffering?" I asked in exasperation.

 

"Haneul-ah..." he abruptly called out, standing up from his position and taking both of my hands.

 

"I am truly sorry. I am so ashamed to be in front of you right now" he finished in a rather weak voice.

 

"Wha-what for? What is this about?" I rambled in a confused panic.

 

"I did not mean it. I did not mean to place a curse on Kai."