Reassigned

Kai from the Sky

As an author of a Kris-based fic, I am still speechless and lonely that things have come down to this. We love you, Tinkerbell.



 

 

I should've gotten a knife at the counter. I can't slice through the beef bulgogi. Aigoo cafeteria, please remember that the students are humans and only have human teeth. Well, I never knew that it was not a good choice for lunch because it's the first time I ordered it here.

 

As I was attempting to pry the meat off my fork, someone occupied the seat in front of me.

 

"You left me!" the guy called Mr. Kim pouted as he put down his tray.

 

"What are you doing here?" I scoffed. He's been talking to me nonstop all day as if not getting the cue that I do not have anything to do with him.

 

"Are you so hungry today that you didn't wait for me to finish getting my things? I thought you said you were used to waiting for me" he said, ignoring my question.

 

"I don't know what you're talking about" I replied. I really didn't know.

 

He looked up from what he was chewing. "Aww, c'mon. Haneul, you know I got an unluckily isolated locker area so it takes some time."

 

I just stared at him completely, still not understanding what on earth he is talking about.

 

"Ok," he said, putting down his rice bowl, "I'll be a bit quicker next time, I promise. Stop looking at me like I did a crime."

 

"Look, Mr. Kim. I have no idea why, but I really don't know you" I sighed.

 

"That's pretty deep, Haneul. Give it a few more years and you'll know me better if that's what you want" he chuckled, "and can you stop with calling me Mr. Kim? You've been doing it all morning it's not funny anymore."

 

"Hey, Minseok!" a student passing by called out.

 

"Hey bro" Mr. Kim fistbumped with him.

 

Why the heck does everyone know him except me?!

 

I huffed and stood up.

 

"Where are you going?" he asked.

 

"I'm...going to get a knife because the bulgogi is too tough" I said, which was true. But I planned to take ten or twenty minutes in getting that freaking knife because I needed time to breathe. Away from this weird guy.

 

"Oh ok," he nodded, "why'd you order that anyway? They don't have chicken today?"

 

Darn, how does he even know that I always order chicken for lunch?

 

Without a word, I marched to the counter.

 

I took my sweet time choosing a knife. Other students were already looking at me, wondering why it looks like I'm curating a painting.

 

"They're all the same" someone said and took one knife. I looked up to see Kris handing it to me.

 

I took it and turned to leave. So much for taking a breather.

 

"Stop telling him that you don't know him. Other students will get suspicious" he suddenly said, making me turn back.

 

"You mean that Minseok over there? Why, do you know anything about this?" I asked, completely ignoring the fact that I said I didn't want to talk to him in favor of my curiosity.

 

"Not me. But it would be odd if Chanyeol's seat were left empty" he replied, making me even more puzzled.

 

"Where is Chanyeol anyway?" I finally managed to ask to someone who might know.

 

Kris looked at me steadily before answering. "He got reassigned."

 

"What do you mean reassigned? To another section?" I squinted. I never saw him around school.

 

Kris shook his head. "No. His job here is done, so he got reassigned to another subject."

 

"Stop talking to me in riddles" I said, holding my head in confusion.

 

"It's very simple, Haneul. That's what we do. We get assigned subjects. Do our job. Get reassigned. Do our job, etc. The life of a...what did you like to call it? A helpful fellow" Kris finished nonchalantly and left.

 

Helpful fellow?

 

Chanyeol is an angel, darn it.