Chapter 39

Kris, The Stupid Jerk

"If by any chance I ask you out to be my girlfriend, will you accept it?" Lay asked, staring at the ground. He knew he shouldn't be asking that when he knew you obviously has a thing for Kris and not even a single thing for him. But who knew, maybe there's a slight chance? He won't lose anything if he tried, anyway.

"What are you talking about, Lay?" You asked him in confusion. You cannot possibly imagine him being your boyfriend. You do not feel anything for him except being a friend.

"Haha. I was kidding." He forcefully chuckled as he pointed towards the grave. "You see that?"

You followed what he was pointing to and furrowed your eyebrow. "Who is that?"

"My sister." He closed his eyes as a glint of sadness and sorrow was shown on his expression. "It ing hurts to call her my sister." He breathed heavily, opening his eyes as he stared at you. You did not know what to do.

"She used to be my girlfriend. Damn! Why the hell I remind her of you?! The way you act, it's somehow like her."

"Look, I am so sorry...." You held his shoulder to steady him as he started burying his head onto your shoulder. He cried while you continued patting his back. It must've been really hurt knowing that his girlfriend was actually his sister. "Don't be sorry..." Lay said. It was another side of him. It was your first time seeing him like that. Seeing a boy cry, it always makes your heart hurt. It's one of your weaknesses.

"Can I hug you?" Lay asked as tears were watering up on his eyes. You gently wiped his tears away using the back of your hand. Without any hesitations, you gladly hugged him tightly. It felt comforting for Lay. How he wished he could bring the memories back with her sister. But no. He cannot be with her. She's already dead. Besides, it's . It's a sin. It's forbidden. Her girlfriend? Being actually her sister outside the family?

 

*Flashback*

"Dad, I'd like you to meet my girlfriend and her mom." Lay said as his smile reached from ear to ear. His signature dimple was shown. He was so happy to finally introduce the one he loves to his dad. And what more, her mom accompanied them and also wanted to see what Lay's family looked like. It was the time to finally meet both family and formally introduce them to each other.

When Yuna's mom came in to greet Lay's father, his father was utterly shocked. Both eyes wide and a hint of somberness was shown on Yuna's mom. No. It cannot be.

"Do you know each other?" Lay innocently asked, his arm s around Yuna's waist.

"Let's go, Yuna. You cannot be with this guy." Her mom dragged her from Lay as he stared at them in confusion.

"What the hell is going on?!" Lay looked at his father. He was gloomy and conscience was spread all over his face. He couldn't mutter a single word. How was he supposed to tell his son the truth? Yuna is his daughter. He used to go out with her mom and didn't expect her with a baby.

"Tell him. Tell him the truth, you unworthy, selfish man!" Yuna's mom shouted in anger. Both couple was confused on what was happening. But Lay's dad couldn't seem to mutter a word. He was so sorry and he feel bad. But out of all the times, why does his son have to fall in love with the wrong girl?

"Lay, my son... She's your step sister. I'm the father of Yuna with her mom." His dad finally said it as Lay's heart broke into small tiny pieces.

"Why... how... How did this happen... why didn't you tell me and mom... Dad..." He felt as if the world was buried into the blackhole. What did he do to deserve this? Why did he fall in love with the wrong girl? Lay was in a state of shock as he clenched his fists to hold his fuming anger. He held himself back and closed his eyes to calm himself down.

Suddenly, Yuna ran outside. She couldn't take it and she'd rather die. She cannot imagine her boyfriend having the same father as hers. As she ran outside, a car bumped onto her, leading her to unexpected death.

*End of flashback*

 

"Go on, Lay. Cry. Go ahead. Just cry and express what you feel. I'm here." You patted his back as your free hand brushed his hair.

"What did I do in my past life to experience that hell?" He sobbed, gripping onto your shirt.

Your heart ached seeing how vulnerable and miserable Lay was. Your heart ached imagining being on the same place has him. How did Lay managed to live? It must had been really hurt knowing he cannot be with the girl he wanted to be with for the life time. You continued to hug him and didn't let go of him.

After a few moments, he finally stopped crying. He felt comforted and his heart went into ease.

"I am so sorry for being so weak. I'm sorry for reminding you of my sister. She just... It's just that... whatever you do is just similar to hers," Lay covered his face with his hand as he gripped onto his hair in embarrassment. "I'm sorry." Lay apologized once again.

You sighed. "Don't be sorry, Lay. If I were you, I would've also experienced torn and sadness. Knowing that you cannot be with the one you love in a way, it must've been hurt. Knowing that you can only stay as a brother to her, it must've hurt. Also knowing the fact that she died and left you hanging, it must've felt like hell." You stared at Yuna's grave and back to Lay. "Tell her what you feel. What do you want to say to her?"

Lay nodded. "I love you, Yuna. But I know I cannot love you as a man. I can only love you in a brotherly way. It hurts to think that way but I have to. Although you cannot see me anymore, remember, you're always placed somewhere special in my heart. Hopefully after this, I finally get to move on. Look, I brought a friend. She's so beautiful right? Whenever I see her, I kept on reminding you of her and I do not even know why. Whenever she's with me, my heart beats fast-"

You stared at Lay in amusement and suddenly felt sorry. You do not feel the same way. "Lay..."

He continued, "I feel the same way like when I was with you. But I have to hold myself back. I cannot love her. She cannot love me. She already have another man in her heart."

Your eyes widened. What in the world was he saying? "WHAT?!"

He further continued, "So I can only stay as a friend to her. But I have to wait right? Who knows, maybe there's someone who's destined to be with me and maybe I haven't found her yet. Although yes, I think I did. Twice. The first one was you and the other one was Hana."

You felt touched by his sudden confession as you held onto his hand to comfort him.

 

Meanwhile... in the other part of Korea...

 

"! Where in the world did they go?! I must call Xiumin maybe he knows where Lay and Hana go!" Kris stopped the car and browsed his phone for Xiumin's contact.

"Xiumin, where did Lay go with Hana?" Kris asked.

"I don't know! Why are you asking me?!"

"You should know! You're with Lay like always!"

"I don't know! Don't disturb me, Kris. I'm busy. It's your responsibility. Go fight for your undying love, duizhang!"

The phone hung up and the call ended abruptly just like that.

"Aigoo. Now speaking of them, where would they possibly go?" Suddenly, a place flashed on his mind.

"Aha! Let me see..." Kris smirked.

 

*******

 

"Yah! It's supposed to be like this. Watch me." You stood on the dance revo and followed the beat in ease. As the level was getting harder, you moved your body in fast pace and swayed along with the music.

"Woah. You're a good dancer!" Lay remarked and clapped his hands. "Okay okay. I get it. Can I join you now?" Lay asked as he positioned himself on the other dance pad.

"Let's make a deal, shall we?" Lay asked, waiting for your response but you just stared at the machine where you and Kris played. It was the arcade that the both of you once played. You remembered him having moodswings and dragged you out of the house to play an arcade. You remembered losing as the both of you rented bikes. *Aww, Kris. Why did I suddenly think of you...*

Lay waved his hand in front of your face as you woke up from the trance. "Oh... what were you saying?" You looked back at him.

"I think you were thinking of something just now... anyways, I want us to make a deal." Lay offered. You looked at him in excitement. "Sure! What is it?"

"Let's play this game. Whoever loses will treat the winner a lunch!" He beamed.

Suddenly, you felt glad he was already beginning to break the heavy walls off his heart. He seemed to be eased and happy this time.

"No problem!" You accepted the bet as the both of you danced. You were dancing in ease and your eyes shifted towards Lay. His moves were amazing.

"I think you're a great dancer. Awesome moves right there." You said.

"Really?" Lay smiled. "No. I was kidding." You as he suddenly lost concentration on the game. "What?" His gaze turned towards you, hoping for an answer.

"Wahahaha! I won! Wahahaha!" You jumped in joy as Lay's shoulders deflated. "You just tricked me! I was about to win but you disturbed me!" Lay flicked your forehead and pinched your cheeks. "Pabo." His fingers moved to your nose and gently pinched it.

"You're so cute, Hana." He chuckled.

"Psshh. You're being mushy. Let's go. Buy me lunch and let's eat at the pond with the cat!" You pulled his hand and dragged him out of the place.

As the both of you ran, Lay's smile didn't vanish off his face. He was happy. He felt as if the burden in his life was lifted up and disappeared into the air.

*Just this once. Let me enjoy this date with her and be happy. If Yuna is looking by now, she's probably happy that I am not depressed anymore. Just this once. Let me feel being together with Hana. Let me feel this moment and finally move on.* Lay thought. He stared at his hand intertwined with Hana's and happiness and longing was shown through his eyes.