Chapter 41

Opposites

 

‘This is all I can cook for you’ Reina watched as Sehun opened the cover. The smell of ramyun instantly hit her. Her eyes brightened at the sight of ramyun. She went over and gave Sehun a hug, surprising the latter. ‘You’re the best!’ Reina took her seat and quickly started on the noodle without further delay.

Sehun’s eyes swiftly softened from surprised as he watched how happy she ate.  ‘Eat slowly, I don’t want to save your when you choke’ Sehun said annoyed even when he felt the other way round.

‘Hurry up and eat, the noodles are becoming soggy’ Reina spoke while busily stuffing the noodles in . Sehun shook his head with a smile and quickly joined in as well.

After eating, Reina stood up and bowed ‘Thank you for the meal’ she was about to escape out of the kitchen when Sehun grabbed the back of her collar. ‘Where do you think you’re going?’ Sehun raised his brow as he looked at Reina.

Reina feign innocent and looked at Sehun, confused. ‘Im going to the living room of course. Whats wrong?’ Reina asked.

Sehun pulled Reina back and nodded towards the plate, ‘since Im the one who cook, you’re going to wash them up.’

Reina pouted ‘My mom used to wash them up after my dad and I finished eating’

Sehun stood up and lightly poked Reina’s forehead. ‘Don’t push your luck further. Im not taking it in. Wash them’ Sehun headed out of the kitchen without looking back. Reina stuck out her tongue at him as she watched him walked out of the kitchen.

When Reina was done, she walked out of the kitchen with a plate of grapes. She placed it in front of the coffee table and sat down beside Sehun who was watching tv. Sehun grabbed some grapes and popped them into his mouth while Reina hugged the pillow beside her. ‘You know, I really miss the time we sit here together and watched some tv together, with my dad and my mom’ Reina quietly spoke. Sehun had his eyes on the tv but he was listening to what Reina was saying.

‘I would lay on my dad’s leg, while my mom cut fruits for us. We would laugh at those funny scenes in the tv together. Those days, the house was really lively every single day. But after they left, the house became so quiet that everything seemed not in place.’ Reina’s eyes were on the tv but she wasn’t watching it.

Sehun lightly tugged Reina and placed her head on his lap. Reina was about to get up but Sehun held onto her shoulder. Reina looked confusingly at Sehun. Sehun cleared his throat, while his eyes still on the tv. ‘Just today, do whatever you want but don’t expect more or take them for granted.’ Sehun casually spoke.

Reina smiled and lie on Sehun’s lap. Reina took Sehun’s hand and smooth her hair. ‘Do this too, my dad used to do that to me as well’

‘You’re really asking-’ Sehun was speaking halfway when Reina cut his words.

‘You told me to tell you when Im ready right? I think I do now’ Sehun didn’t replied, he paused for awhile before he smooth her hair like what she told him to while waiting patiently for her to speak again.

‘It was my fault that night. We went Jeju right after that family photo we took at the shop. That night, we could have stayed in the hotel but I insist of going out.’

 

-------------Flashback------------

‘Appa! Lets go out huh? I want to eat dukkbokki!’ Reina used her aegyo to convince his dad after she failed to convince her mom.

‘No Reina, its snowing heavily today, we can just called for room service’ her mother said upon hearing their conversation.

Reina turned around and pouted at her mom ‘But the hotel food isn’t as nice as the one outside. I want to eat the one by the street side’ Reina whined.

‘Arasso, we’ll go.’ Reina’s dad speak up.

‘But Yeobo’ Reina’s mom spoke but her dad cut her off ‘We’ll be fine. I’ll drive slower, besides our princess is craving for some dukkbokki isn’t it?’ Her dad warmly smile.

Reina looked at her mom. Her mother heaved a sigh ‘Arasso. Lets get you dressed more warmly before we go out’

‘Yes!’ Reina fist pumped and jumped around in joy. Her parents chuckled at how happy she looked.

After they were dressed, the whole family got on their car and drove out of the hotel. Reina was at the back playing with her phone while her parents sat in front.

‘Yes! Assa!’ Reina broke the record of her game and went to the front to show it to her mother. ‘Mom, Dad,  look!  I break my record.’ Reina proudly showed her score to her mom and dad.

‘Sit properly, its dangerous, your dad’s driving too.’ her mom scolded. Reina pouted ‘But I really want dad to see my score’

Reina’s dad chuckled and turned around for a quick look. ‘Arasso, I’ll look at it.’

‘Good job’ Her dad ruffled her hair and when he turned back to the front, there was a light shining towards them. The car in front of them had slipped from the lane beside them while driving fast on the slippery road. Reina’s dad tried to avoid but it was too late.

Reina’s mom and dad quickly had Reina in their embrace knowing that there was no way to avoid. ‘Stay safe Reina’ that was the last word Reina’s mother spoke before both cars collapsed together.

-------------End of Flashback----------------

‘I shouldn’t have whined about going out, I shouldn’t have done such dangerous thing in the car. My parents wouldn’t have died because of me. If I wasn’t so immature, they wouldnt have died.’ Tears flowed continuously as Reina talked about the painful past.  

‘Ssh.. it wasn’t your fault. Its all because the car from the other lane slipped. There was no way to escape from that accident even if you hadnt ask your dad to look at your score’ Sehun soothingly said as he caressed her hair in a comforting way yet her tears couldnt helped but flowed continuously remembering how her parents died that night.