Chapter 40

Opposites

 

‘Come on, you say you’ll do anything’ Reina pulled Sehun along with her while Sehun refused to. ‘No, don’t put words into my mouth. Besides you’re the one that says you don’t need anything.’ He pointed out.

Reina continued to drag Sehun. ‘Just one ride, one ride and we’ll be going home’

‘No, if you want to go, go yourself. How old are you to ride that? 3?’ Sehun protested. There was no way he was going to ride a carousel at this age.

‘Yeah just treat me like a kid today huh? I want to ride that’ Reina pointed at the carousel with a pleading look. Sehun looked away and heaved a sigh. Reina smiled knowing she’ll get what she wanted.

Reina pulled Sehun over towards the queue and line up. Reina waited excitedly for their turn while Sehun ducked his head, embarrassed when most of the people in line were kids. *This is so embarrassing* Sehun almost swore under his breath while waiting impatiently in line.

When it was their turn, Reina excitedly went over while Sehun tried to walk away. But Reina caught him and pulled him with her. Reina sat on the white pony carousel while Sehun sat on a red one beside her. Reina excitedly fastened her seatbelt and waited for the carousel to start moving.

Sehun watched how Reina’s eyes softened as she looked around the place before she let out a small squealed when the carousel moved. Reina stretched out her hand and enjoyed the whole ride while Sehun just boredly waited for the ride to end.

‘Come on, don’t just sit there’ Reina tugged on Sehun’s hand when she saw how bored he was.

Sehun raised his brow at her. Reina raised Sehun’s hand out like how she had done previously ‘Enjoy the ride since you’re already on it. There’s no age limit to carousel. If my dad can sit on this and enjoy, I see no reason why you cant’ Reina looked away and enjoyed the ride.

Sehun warily watched Reina afraid that she was thinking about her past but she was enjoying herself. Sehun softened at the sight of her smile and tried to enjoy the ride with her. *Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad riding this..* Sehun looked at Reina and a smile was formed on his face as he watched her.

The ride ended and Reina got down reluctantly. ‘Cant we go another round?’ Reina pleaded Sehun as she swung his hand. ‘No, go yourself if you want. I already went once and that’s more than enough for me’ Sehun replied coolly.

Reina pouted at the rejection ‘Fine’ Reina turned around and looked at the carousel for the last time before they left Everland.

A while later, they were back at Reina’s neighborhood. Reina was walking slower and slower. Her injured kneecap was starting to hurt from too much walking. Sehun noticed it and passed Reina his bag before he bend down in front of her. He remembered her skirt and took off his jacket. Sehun passed his coat to Reina and before bending down again. ‘Get on’ Sehun spoke.

Reina just stare at him ‘What?’

‘Don’t make me repeat twice’ Sehun replied. ‘Hurry, my legs are getting numb’ Sehun impatiently said.

Reina tied the coat around her waist and warily get onto his back. She loosely wound her hand around Sehun neck before Sehun stood up from his position and resume walking after making sure everything was okay.

Reina rest her head onto Sehun’s shoulder. It had been so long since she had a shoulder to lean onto. ‘Thank you’ Reina whispered while they were walking home.

‘Your back is so warm. Its been a long time since I felt a warm back. Its really nice’ Reina softly spoke as she snuggle closer to Sehun.

‘My dad’s back used to be warm too’ Reina continued while Sehun just quietly listened to her while slowing down his pace for Reina.

‘My dad used to put everything aside when Im sad and bring me to the carousel to cheer me up. One round of carousel would be enough to cheer me up but I’ll always ask for more to spend more time with him. We’ll always end up going rounds after rounds of carousel.’

*I should have agreed when she asked.* Sehun felt guilty now.

‘My dad would also piggyback me home after the long day and we’ll be home to see my mom preparing food for us.' She recalled the old memories. 'Thank you, I felt like Im with my dad today again. Really, thank you chingu’ Reina whispered the last part and closed her eyes to savour the moment while Sehun just continued walking.

It wasnt long when Sehun heard the soft breathing of Reina and carefully turn his head to the right to look at her. ‘Dad.. Mom..’ Sehun felt a pain in his heart as Reina softly called out to her parents in her dream.

Sehun turned his head back and walked towards her house which was coming into sight. Sehun opened the gate slowly and walked through the small garden. He carefully opened the door and entered the house. Sehun walked up the stairs and carefully placed Reina on her bed before pulling the cover over her.

30 minutes later, Reina was wakening up by the smell in the kitchen. She entered the kitchen to see Sehun standing in front of the stove. ‘Sehun?’ Reina called out.

‘Dinner will be done soon. Go washup and come back down again.’ Sehun spoke without looking back at her. Reina unsurely nodded and headed back up again. Sehun switched off the gas and brought the pot out to the dining table.

When Reina came back to the kitchen, Sehun was already seated in the dining table waiting for her. Sehun opened the cover of the pot while Reina sat down. ‘This is all I can cook for you’