Chapter 48

Hot and Cold

[A/N: Yeah, I know guys. It have been months....a really long time. I'm really sorry for not updating. My usual reason seems like not helping. I need your understanding here. I may not update daily, or in a short-range, but I will complete this story. Hehe, enjoy]


 

It was 08.00 o’clock when you woke up. Gladly, your lecture start in the evening today. You check on your phone, and remember the schedule you will have today. So, you gonna go to the airport at 09.00....

Nope, you aren’t coming home when it’s still 2 months to summer break. While in Korea, it was summer break already. That’s why JiWoo, Jonghyun, and Minho is going to visit you. And you should pick them up at the airport, of course.

It took 15 minutes for you to get ready on your blue trousers and sleeveless t-shirt. Then minutes later, you are off to the airport.

The situation is noisy as usual. Airport is a never ending business. People go out and in the country. A lot of people are waiting in front of the gate for the arrival. You have to tiptoe since you are counted as short to the locals there. No sign of your friends though it strikes 09.00 already. Okay, you are short here and it doesn’t mean you can do nothing.

You squeeze yourself in to the crowd and get in to the front row. Fortunately, Minho is quiet tall and you recognize him quickly. He doesn’t really change, just his hair is more longer now. You wave at him hardly to get noticed, and he saw you after a moment.

Not like most people, you will not get awkward with him since you two always keep in contact for the year. “Hi! Welcome!” you said and you two exchange the hug. A long hug, like a long year apart. “Oh, this is Sulli” Minho said and release you. A girl you haven’t notice before, standing behind him. You lend you hand to her and she smile brightly. “She is a junior, and she is interested to continue her study here. So I think you can answer some questions she probably had in mind” Minho said. “Sure” you smile at the girl.

“Miss you, Jae” he said and smile at you. You look behind him again and found JiWoo and Jonghyun with their luggages. “HyunJae!” JiWoo call out, doesn’t change a bit. She is still loud and cheerful. Another hug with her and Jonghyun.

It was so happy to see both of them are still together. Guess, not a lot had happened in a year. “Okay, let’s go to my apartment” you said.

-

“You know what, I’m still mad at you for not telling me that you were going to Canada that day” JiWoo said. Yes, you forgot. No, you didn’t forgot to tell her, but it’s just you don’t want say a goodbye to them.

“Yes, but I did when I reached here” you said. “So, you are a neat person I guess. Especially you live alone” Jonghyun commented while looking around at your apartment. “Well, I have to. I cleaned up a little before all of you came” you said.

“I will be back for the coffees” you said and headed towards the kitchen. It was different that day, the atmosphere. You have been living by yourself, and now the room is full of people. Moreover, they are the people you are close to, making the room more warm than ever.

Having them in your apartment, you recall the highschool life you had. All the old memories. Some are sweet that you don’t want to forget, yet bitter as well. How Donghae...just missing on that day. It was hurting how you couldn’t know anything from him, and also from MinHo. A guy who always beside you through everything that you even didn’t realise that he had a crush on you. Also JiWoo and Jonghyun whom bright up your life.

While preparing for the coffees, you peek from the door of the kitchen, seeing them happily chatting. You also could see Minho talking with Sulli without running out of topic. They seem close, but you had no idea how Minho would be close to a girl again. He only had you and JiWoo when it comes to an opposite .

“Coffees are coming, wake up!” you said as you place the tray on the table. Jonghyun who was laying on your couch get up and take a cup. “So, how long will you stay?” you asked them.

“Five days. We already book a hotel too, so you don’t have to worry” JiWoo said and give her thumbs up. “There is a festival tomorrow evening, you guys want to come?” you said cheerfully. They all nod.

Around afternoon, you take four of them to their hotel. After you are done, you come back again to your apartment and lay on your couch. There is only silence now, except the sound of your own breath. Around three hours more, you will have a lecture in your campus.

You feed yourself a meal made by yourself and prepare for the things you need to bring later. It was like an endless rutinity. You sleep, study, eat, go to campus, and repeat. Unfortunately, you rarely go out with your friends or maybe just go out for a refreshing. It’s not like you cannot, but you feel like not going. Sometimes, it’s also like out of zone. There might be something that change your behaviour, and  you don’t know what.

Your watch strikes for 4 p.m. 15 minutes more until the lecture.

-

As you promised the day before, you would pick them up at 6. The festival will begin in 6.30.

“Jae aahh~” JiWoo cling to you when she found you waiting at the lobby. She wore a quiet formal outfit. Too formal for a festival. And also Jonghyun. Sulli and Minho too.  “Seriously, you guys are too much” you said and scanning them from head to toe.

“But that’s okay” you said and headed outside. They trailed behind you like your children. Yeah, tour guide for a while. You thought.

The rest stop their steps when you did. It’s a bus stop. Minutes later, the expected bus coming down. “Not much different to Seoul, I guess” Jonghyun said. The bus is still empty, and for sure it will be cramped soon since they will be heading to the same festival on town.

You sit to the most backseat, which is a good spot when the people filled up the bus. Jonghyun and JiWoo sit together in front of you, as well as MinHo and Sulli in front of JiWoo and Jonghyun.

Looking from your point of view, you kinda look pathetic. It was like a double date for them, though you aren’t sure for Minho.  You should be the one who lead them, instead, it feels like you sink deeper in to a hole of loneliness. They laugh at each other. The images seem to slow down your sight that you can’t even hear what are they discussing about. You seem to be lost.

Minho look around the bus searching and found you when he look at the back. He wave at you, but how could you notice when their images started to fade away slowly? “Jae, Jae” he called you twice and that’s when you look up to him.

“Are you okay?” he asked. Not just his eyes, all the eyes had turned to her direction, making sure you are okay. “Yeah, sure” you nod. And just like that, they all turn to the front again.

It feels weirdly wounded to see Minho with Sulli together. Feels like someone has took him from her. It’s not really wounded too, you feel easy yet hard. Although, you still aren’t sure what’s going on between the two. But there must be something.

It was good to see passengers are starting to swarm up the bus. It blocks your sight of your friends. So that you will not imagine something ridiculous again. Less than your expectation, the bus stop. And people start getting out. You arrived.

The noise could be heard when you get off from the bus. “It’s there” you pointed at the wide park, full with booths and entertainments. “Whoa, it’s cool” Jiwoo exclaimed. You smile at her and take her hand in to yours. Like a child, holding hands as a bestfriend.

The lamps are everywhere, that it doesn’t narrow the fact it was nearly night. Booths are also everywhere, full with games and cute stuffs. “Just go around, just gather here again at 8.30” you said and looking at your watch. It was your first time in a festival actually, so you think i would be better if you give them a free time. Soon after said, Minho and Sulli already head towards a booth.

You take in the surrounding as much as you can. Scanning briefly what are the activities in there. Jiwoo is still beside you with Jonghyun following. “C’mon, let’s try that one” JiWoo point out a booth with huge dolls as a present. She pull your and Jonghyun’s hand to the wanted place.

“You” she suddenly point to Jonghyun, right in front of his face that it make him flinch. “Play this game for me, and get me a doll. Do it like in romantic movies” she said enthusiastically. You laugh at her childish saying and just watch Jonghyun do what JiWoo expected him to do.

The festival area was more large than you imagined. Behind the booth you were standing, was still many places to visit. Like a country choir who warm up the atmosphere, some hot chocolate selling, and also thriftshops. Then something caught your eye.

“I’ll be back soon” you said to JiWoo and leave the two of them. You walk toward a unique thriftshop, selling old vintage things. But those weren’t the ones that catch your attention. It was a jar with two fireflies wandering inside it, put on the owner’s table.

“Can I help you, Miss?” An old man came to a sight and greet her warmly. “Aren’t their lights will shut if you catch them like that?” you asked bluntly. Recalling what Donghae ever told you long ago.

The old man seemed a bit confused by the different question he was expecting. “Oh, this jar? No it will not, just..don’t touch them” he explained. You were immersed by the owner’s pet. “How much is it?” you asked and going to take out your purse.

“Oh, I’m sorry young lady. It’s not for sale, it’s my collections” he said, and you pouted at the fact. “You can take it. I can catch them easily later” he said. You couldn’t believe at first what he said. “I will pay for it-“

“No, it’s free for you” the old man said and gave you an reassuring smile. “Thankyou” you said and take the jar with you. You can’t imagine how grateful you are because of that small gift.

You headed toward the edge of the border, expecting to have least light from the booths. You want to see the fireflies shining amongst the darkness. You  saw through the transparent jar, and the view of the festival become much more beautiful by the obscure light of the fireflies.

We can learn from fireflies. Sometimes, we can’t grab what we want or else it will disappeared. Just like fireflies’ light. But you can also let them be, seeing them from distant but you can always watch them shining. Like fireflies in a jar. Your touch is hindered by a wall of glass.  

Those things, are what Donghae ever told you. Though, you still haven't figure what he meant by that. You never experience such thing.

You don’t know what got in to you that you saw Donghae’s figure in the jar, passing by. It was so clear that you even doubt it’s just your imagination. You lower down the jar from your face and look again in to the reality.

Someone did passed by, just like what you saw in the jar. However when you start searching for the guy, it disappeared. Just like no one was there.

That moment, you realized. Just like fireflies. It disappeared.


COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE